• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I got laughed at

victor

Reaction score
I know im not good at golf... tennis is more my game.. but today I got laughed at the driving ranges. well not "laughed at" but everytime I'd hit the ball, the guy that was to the right of me was like chuckling under his breath. I had a large basket of balls and most of them I hit rolling on the ground or even missed a couple of balls. It made me feel real bad cuz the guy was like hitting every ball perfectly. made me want to punch him in his face...

but i decided im not gonna let that happen again. I'm gonna do some more reading and take some lessons.. i just have a problem making clear contact with the ball... I'm only 19 years old but today was just a bad experience for me.

I rented a few irons from the clubhouse because its a public golf course and my set of clubs are at my other house out of town and i forgot to bring them. is it a bad idea to rent clubs everytime? or should i just not play until i get my clubs from my other home?

Disregard the idiot next to you. People have to learn to hit the ball somehow and it's better to learn at the range then try to on the course. And I would have your own clubs to hit. You can't get good hitting different clubs every time. Good luck!!

:)

The jerk probably defines his success or failure as a human being by the ability to hit his driver. Ive been in your shoes, but Id rather be laughed at than be given unsolicited advice on how to "cure" my swing. Unsolicited advice really gets under my skin. Dont get me wrong, I need as much as I could get, but only on my terms.. and none of that free crap.
BTW, was that guy swinging a Bang FU2 driver?

Don't feel too Vic. I'm in the same boat, not very good. Keep parcticing and playing and maybe a lesson or two.

Keep at it.

that is a terrible thing to do.. no matter how good a person is, it doesnt give him the right to belittle you.. that is just meanspirited...

but dont let him bother you.. i dont know what kind of person you are, but i would use this as a motivational thing.. not necessaruly to show him up, but to just show yourself that you can do what you set your mind to, and that you arent a quitter...

Hey, last year I got laughed at by a 6 year old kid! I was having a day just like you: couldn't hit a thing. So this kid next to me yells at the top of his voice: "Hey mommy, look! I'm better than he is!!!!"

Mommy was embarassed, and I was too.

Don't worry about it, you'll get better. Remember this simple swing thought: Hit up on ball, ball go down. Hit down on ball, ball go up.

It's a stupid game, really.

I wonder what "mommy" would have done if she saw me chasing her little brat around with a 2-iron!! :laugh:

I got laughed at on the course this last Saturday! You know what I did? I told myself to shut the ^&%$ up and hit the ball properly!!

All kidding aside, that is a pathetic thing to do. I would ask the guy what he was laughing at. If he said me, I would ask him if he was born a perfect ball striker or if he had to learn how to do it just like everyone else.

People just plain forget that no matter what it is that they do well, they started out piss poor too.

S-

It's when you can laugh at yourself that the game becomes much more enjoyable. :)

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here either. We are not all good golfers, yet. Many of us will have had the exact same problems and might be able to lend some advice or drills that worked for us.

I wonder what "mommy" would have done if she saw me chasing her little brat around with a 2-iron!! :laugh:

Hopefully shouted 'Nobody uses those things any more - get a hybrid!!!' :laugh:

Oh, and when you say "It made me feel real bad cuz the guy was like hitting every ball perfectly.", I would guarantee there are some players on here who could show him what 'perfectly' actually means, and it would be a million miles away from what you saw!

When I first started down the range I suffered similar things, more often guys showing off to their bored girlfriends about how great they are, and adding 50yds onto their report of every shot they hit, but a few who thought it big and clever to make smart comments to lesser players around them. After several months of hard work on my part those guys are still there, but now never say a word to me as I hit my hybrid or irons as far as their drivers and hit shot after shot that clunks into the metal yardage markers while they spray them all over the place.

Just keep practicing, and within a few months you'll see their 'perfect' shots in a very different light, and see them for the idiots they are!

You're a better man then me, I would have knee capped the f*cker with my club.

It just takes time bro, listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about.

Screw him and keep working at it. Then, when you're hitting like a pro and you see him in the adjacent fairway you can fade one right off his melon. And chuckle.

I got stuck with a guy like him playing a round and after the third hole it was either split his head open with a wedge or move on, so I skipped two holes and enjoyed the rest of the evening... alone.

if you're new to golf then think of it this way.. theres a good chance HE wasnt hitting them perfectly either. they might have looked perfect but they most likely werent. I dont know too many scratch golfers that laugh at newbies. you should have started critiquing every shot he made:) like.. how come that one drifted left when all the others went right? or "you really should turn your hips more".. it would most likely end up pissing him off pretty well :)

unfortunately there are those a**holes around.you apparently were born hitting the perfect drive or atleast they think so.

thing to do is purposely hit one between your legs at.then when he when he asks what kinda crummy golfer you are tell him not bad i just hit an a**hole in 1.

i know a guy in the bowling league who forgot were he came from till you remind him that he didnt start out bowling with a 210 avg.more like a 130 and it took him over 10 yrs to get to the 200+ avg.

so just forget about him and keep plugging away.

i had a spell during league one night were i went thru the first hole took a 10 and never got the ball off the ground.and ive been golfing for about 10 yrs.

That is just a jerk move on that guy's part. Trust me, we have all been at the point you are currently at, it is part of the game. Keep on doing what you are doing and things become a bit smoother and more natural. It is a difficult game to learn and I give you full credit for starting out and taking the initiative to improve. Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have and continued luck with your game. Most of all, have fun, this is why we all play.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520