• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I hit the ball to far always

jimp1173

Reaction score
What can I do to stop hitting the ball so far? I recently saw Jack Nicklaus say "it doesn't matter how far past the pin you hit it" Is that true, cause I continue to hit it past the pin...Please let me know how to control my distance.

do not worry about it. The LAWS of gravity supersede the rules of golf. If the ball goes directly over the hole and does not drop it still counts as holed. Remember golf is simply an altered reality.

Go down a club. If you're hitting 8 iron over the green, try 9 iron from your 8 iron distance.

Don't hit the ball as hard and it will not fly as far. Simple. :cool:

Hit it off the hosel, that'll shorten you up good!!

Wait till you hit 50, I'm sure you won't hit it as far as you do now. :)

Seriously, throttle back a bit, and drop down a club.

What can I do to stop hitting the ball so far? I recently saw Jack Nicklaus say "it doesn't matter how far past the pin you hit it" Is that true, cause I continue to hit it past the pin...Please let me know how to control my distance.

1. I would recommend to no longer use your driver off the tee box on par 3 holes. Back off to your 3-wood.
2. I, too, have been long and over the green... when I skull the ball from 80 yards. It's difficult to get the ball to 'hop and stop' when it's just been bladed with a sand wedge.
3. Did Jack really say, "It doesn't matter how far past the pin you hit it"? I guess that would depend on whether you are playing a ProV or a Top Flite. It would depend on whether you are capable of spinning the ball back 7 to 10 feet. And, it would depend on the size of the greens on your course. There are greens on some courses small enough that, should you hit it 5 yards long, you could injure someone on the next tee box.

Seriously...
1. Develop and intimate knowledge of your irons, especially from 6-iron through wedges. Get to know how far you hit each one with a half-swing and a 3/4 swing. NEVER swing out of your shoes! At the skill level enjoyed by most of we who hack the ball around the courses, we are much better 'feathering' the ball and making good contact than swinging hard and losing all control.
2. Iron play is all about feet and yards... not the number on the club. If you've recently traded clubs, there is a good possibility the lofts on the new irons are 3 to 5 degrees stronger than the old irons. Again, find the yardage you hit each iron... while staying in control.
3. A pro can hit it past the pin, develop some backspin, and control that spin. We can't!!
4. There is a significant difference in how one model ball reacts vs another. We have postage stamp greens on our course... small greens. It is a completely different game playing a high spin ball vs. a 'rock'. If you want to play a hard ball, you have to run it up. If you play a soft ball, you can land it on the green. You may need to adjust your play, somewhat, depending on which ball your are gaming.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427