• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Impact

Hogan recommends that the wrist archs, with the lesser angle facing behind you, and the wrist bent toward the target. I can't fathom why. Seems like it'd slow down the clubhead if the wrist bends into impact. If it's already bent and just stays that way through the swing, it seems fine- it'd deloft the face.

Good iron strikers are de-lofters. The bowed wrist encourages a downward strike and the closing rotation.

Good iron strikers are de-lofters. The bowed wrist encourages a downward strike and the closing rotation.

That's one of those things that tends to happen naturally when other factors are in place IMO. Not something that should be paid a whole lot of mind.

I woud get blasted on WRX for saying this but... The more I learn about Hogan's swing, the more I think it's not the best example for me or a lot people to follow. Really an antihook, one plane, extremely flat plane swing. I read that Hogan's irons were 6 fcking degrees flat... that was like icing on cake for me. At 6'1", that flat a plane just isn't going to work for me.

Yup, doing slo mo swings in my living room, the flattening of the leadwrist through impact cause the face to rotate closed, and it seems to give me a higher finish of the arms... In my case, it feels like it flattens out the bottom of the swing(less steep), and keeps me in better balance.

Reason I brought this up is because I tend (tendency is too weak of a word because I do it 90 percent of the time) to leave the club open through the ball, and flattening the lead wrist in transistion (feels awkward), or through the ball (feels good so far) seems like a way to solve my issue. Also this works best with more of a neutral grip. Also, I think Brian Manzella at his site advocates a flat wrist for slicers (I am more of a pusher, push-drawer), but that seems to be his correction to square the club up... I might buy his DVD to find out for sure.

That's one of those things that tends to happen naturally when other factors are in place IMO. Not something that should be paid a whole lot of mind.

I woud get blasted on WRX for saying this but... The more I learn about Hogan's swing, the more I think it's not the best example for me or a lot people to follow. Really an antihook, one plane, extremely flat plane swing. I read that Hogan's irons were 6 fcking degrees flat... that was like icing on cake for me. At 6'1", that flat a plane just isn't going to work for me.

Hogan was too short for me to try to copy his swing. For me, 6 ft even, Id either need longer clubs, or a few yoga classes to take it back that flat. I dont care much for his exact swing, but I do think 5 Lessons is valid (if you change the grip a little).

As for the bowed wrist... I dont get how it could naturally get that way in a swing...especially if you arent punching the bottom hand through impact.

Hit a few balls with wedge, left hand only and you'll see it. Also, hitting an iron with all your weight on the left/lead foot will produce it. That's what made me realize I really wasn't getting to my left side in time. I always hit the ball well when I'd hit a punch shot.

Another thing. The reason I feel it's a move that needs to happen naturally is if it doesn't you start bringing active hands and too tight a grip into play.

Heathen! You are not allowed to play golf anymore since you have disrespected Saint Hogan!

I think its good in its repeatability, as evidenced by Hogans amazing ballstriking, but have to agree with you in a purely technical standpoint.

Personally, I play my best hitting cuts all day, so it works for me.

Heathen! You are not allowed to play golf anymore since you have disrespected Saint Hogan!

I think its good in its repeatability, as evidenced by Hogans amazing ballstriking, but have to agree with you in a purely technical standpoint.

Personally, I play my best hitting cuts all day, so it works for me.

Cuts are great but I can assure you your swing plane is nothing near Hogan's. Don't get me wrong, his fundamentals are great but getting into it deeper than that can cause problems. Me, I need hands high ala Vijay or DLIII in the backswing. If I try to get anywhere near that flat I'm going to start $hanking the ball. I know it's about the polar opposite of Vijay's weight shift but more of a stacked position at the top with hip resistance seems to be the most productive method for me.

I find that if I limit the lower body, I have to stand a little taller and push the club to start the backswing. The push comes from the lead arm. I find I play my best when I have two swing thoughts, (PUSH/PUll)

I played nine yesterday I was literally the only person on the course. I hit 4-5 balls from every location I was in off the tee.

The purest contact and furthest distance came on balls I hit where I took what felt like the shortest backswing and least amount of movement. When I got into making what felt like a full swing I would hook the ball. I need to get some videos and post them on swing academy. Too bad there is a lot of snow on the ground.
Absolutely.

Has anyone tried having(actively) a flat lead wrist at impact?

If you can find one at your local golf store, one of those Rick Smith swing gloves will force you to do this. I bought one last year and it's helped a bunch with ball striking. It is a totally un-natural feeling though if you've never done it. For the first couple of times that I used it I kept thinking, "man when I make contact with the ground this is really gonna hurt my wrist". I've read comb tucked under a wrist or watch band will do the same.

I really don't think you need to worry about what your left wrist is doing at impact, so long as you set a good wrist angle on the backswing, maintain that wrist angle as long as possible on the downswing, and release the clubhead down the line on your way to a full finish facing the target.

I really don't think you need to worry about what your left wrist is doing at impact, so long as you set a good wrist angle on the backswing, maintain that wrist angle as long as possible on the downswing, and release the clubhead down the line on your way to a full finish facing the target.

You don't. If your fundamentals are good, it just happens. I'll be working on them plenty this winter. Have an "imact bag" and just set up a mirror as well.

While down south I got some lessons on the cheap, and the instructor, "Profe Chuy," had me fixed in 5 minutes... It was tension and swinging too hard that didnt allow me to rotate my lead wrist. After a few swings, the sound of the contact was snappier, and the ball went 15 yards further.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520