• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Importance of grip

rolltherock

Reaction score
Being an old salt and a stickler for proper fundamentals I wonder how many people feel the grip is the most important aspect of all the different set up components?

I happen to have strong grips with both hands and know people with weak grips as well....I feel you can play great golf shots from either side of the spectrum as long as the tension is low and the grip in not in the palms. I remember my very first coach having all of us stand relaxed with our hands at our sides to show our natural predisposition for hand placement. I think it's an awesome way to find out how to place the club in your fingers w/ the least tension. I can see all 4 knuckles with my hands at my side so my grip is very, very strong, but that's how I keep tension out of my swing.

Does anyone else pay as much attention to grip as this old man?

I really pay attention to mine. I've got the grips with the arrows on them to remind me. I can see about 2 1/2 knuckles on each hand, V on left right side of chin, V on right left side of chin.

I think it is quite important, but that is where the Hogan book is terrific, but there are just so many factors that go into the swing and it only takes one to throw it all in the trash.

I think it is quite important, but that is where the Hogan book is terrific, but there are just so many factors that go into the swing and it only takes one to throw it all in the trash.

Completely agree. Having the grip just right only ensures you're started in the right direction...

Wrt the Hogan book, it was this book that made me realize that I held the grip too far into my fingers. I love this book and revisit it whenever things seem to come out of sync with my swing.

Not more or less important than other fundamentals... that said, it's still very important! :thumbs up:

very important. set up is one of the things that you can control, grip being one of them.

i constantly check my grip, even for putting.

very important. set up is one of the things that you can control, grip being one of them.

i constantly check my grip, even for putting.

I remember my college coach saying more or less 'there is no reason you can't have the same setup as jack nicklaus'. It takes no special skill or physical attributes to set up to the ball properly, just hard work. Grip, posture, alignment, ball position. I find a mirror to be the best 'setup checker' and am glad our pro keeps one on the range.

this season I was having trouble releasing the club and

I just now realized that it is mostly my grip. A weak left hand, and I wasn't caulking (sp) my wrist very well, and when I was swinging through, I couldn't get a nice smooth release. Just turning the left hand over a bit (and getting my two hands closer together) makes all the difference. Trouble is that now it's winter and I will staying loose in the dome before going to Florida in February. I just have to remember when I get back on the golf course.
Please excuse the spelling error but if I spell it right it looks like ****ing.

I just now realized that it is mostly my grip. A weak left hand, and I wasn't caulking (sp) my wrist very well, and when I was swinging through, I couldn't get a nice smooth release. Just turning the left hand over a bit (and getting my two hands closer together) makes all the difference. Trouble is that now it's winter and I will staying loose in the dome before going to Florida in February. I just have to remember when I get back on the golf course.
Please excuse the spelling error but if I spell it right it looks like ****ing.

Let's see if this works... ****ing the club will now be known as dicking the club instead?

Go figure, lol. I'm working on my wristdick.

Let's see if this works... ****ing the club will now be known as dicking the club instead?

Go figure, lol. I'm working on my wristdick.
That's the most dickamamie thing I've ever heard!

Dick-a-doodle-do!

Dick the pistol using your thumb!

He dicked his head to the side, listening for the pitter-patter of little feet!

That's the most dickamamie thing I've ever heard!

Dick-a-doodle-do!

Dick the pistol using your thumb!

He dicked his head to the side, listening for the pitter-patter of little feet!

My neighbor has a dickerspanial that never stops barking.

He looked at me a bit dickeyed.

Back on topic. Good posts here. Where did that post go... or was it from somewhere else.... Someone mentioned that basically all swings, be they rotary, stack and tilt, TGM, whatever, they all use the same fundamentals. I thought that was a pretty powerful statement as to the importance. Oh, found it. It was in the "contact with irons" thread. Great post Cypressperch.

I remember my college coach saying more or less 'there is no reason you can't have the same setup as jack nicklaus'. It takes no special skill or physical attributes to set up to the ball properly, just hard work. Grip, posture, alignment, ball position. I find a mirror to be the best 'setup checker' and am glad our pro keeps one on the range.

I totally, 100% disagree with that coach's philosophy.

Who the heck cares about Jack? You've got your swing, and he should refine that. If that doesn't work, tear it all down, start at the basics, and go for the ideal setup, etc. Not necessarily Jack's.

I totally, 100% disagree with that coach's philosophy.

Who the heck cares about Jack? You've got your swing, and he should refine that. If that doesn't work, tear it all down, start at the basics, and go for the ideal setup, etc. Not necessarily Jack's.

Jeff, I didn't read it that way. Set up is static. There's no excuse for getting it wrong. I think the reference to Nicklaus just means "perfect." There's no real reason why you can't have the perfect grip, stance, posture, ball placement every time. Just don't get lazy about it.

There had better be excuses for the moving parts, or my game is in even worse trouble than I feared.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520