• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Inside Approach

ezra76

Anyone use one? I am thinking of purchasing a homemade type one or building my own. After seeing my own swingvid, I am still coming OTT despite months of working on it. I also have $300 from Xmas, I was going to use it to ho clubs, I think setting $150 aside for 3 lessons would be a good idea.

Lessons would help you with OTT. Clubs ain't gonna do squat.

I had a look at the vid earlier. Pretty decent, except you're clearing your hips way too much as a result of you step thru thing. It does help with your follow thru to stay high tho, which is sweet.

You suffer from a push, right?

A thought that will help with your balance, and mixed with that finish will give you terrific results, is to think about rotating around your spine. Keep your head still (this is relative, but also imperative), that's the key. Then rotate your shoulders and body around your spine. Your hips will naturally follow their intended path. It creates a more repeatable swing, and more reliable as a result.

Good foundation tho, I just think you're going at it too hard, and coming off balance.

For what it's worth...

R35

To add to what Rock is saying about the head. The feeling I strive for is that my head is staying still by "floating" over everything that is turning underneath it. I don't try to keep it rigidly in place because I can wreck the natural flow to my swing. It stays still the same way a helium balloon stays still over its string on a windless day. There is no tension like there would be in "making my head stay still even if it kills me".

I would like to know about the Inside Approach as well. I've noticed lately my divots are pointing to the right of where my ball is going - I'm left handed.

I have seen this gadget on tv and also went to the website. $40.
I would think 10 minutes with two coat hangers and some cardboard would do the same thing (use corrigated cardboard and slip the coathangers thru one of the ribs of corrigation, bend the cardboard 90* and set it closer to the ball than the Inside Approach. an out to in swing will smack the vertical cardboard).

Sling, we need spell check here:) corrigated?

Back on topic, I have one of these things. It is not a bad little gadget but you can accomplish the exact same thing by placing something like an empty shoe box or one of the bigger driver head covers just on the opposite side of the ball from where you are standing. Hit the ball and not the box, you've come from the inside.

You can get foam Pipe insulation at any hardware store that would likely serve the same purpose. Just stack a 2-3 2x4 pieces and tape a piece sticking out, would likely cost you about $2. Maybe $5-6 if you can't find a couple 2x4's. Not sure what Pipe insulation would do to the finish on the top of the driver with repeated use. Then again, not sure what the inside approach would do to the top of your driver with repeated use. Make sure the wood is well out of the range of you swing. If you get cute and try and duct tape another piece on, I am quite certain duct tape may hurt the finish, but you may be able to cut it down the other side and fit a piece in with no tape.

Never tried this as my swing problems lean more towards the other side, but it seems like it would work. If you plan on spending the money they also make a similar training device that can be adjusted for things like behind your swing, plane and other things that looks interesting and would serve other purposes.

edit 1 - Here is the other one I mentioned.
http://www.pathprogolf.com/
Not sure if it is worth the money, I usually just use old or broken shafts that I have found on the course or on ranges to set up training stations.

I have an Inside aproach. It works. I was just trying to get the ball in the air when I bought mine, I did not care about slicing and what not.

It helps with both making solid contact and hitting straight.

Sadly, I only used it twice. because i'm am a bit shy about using one at a public range. So thats one thing to consider especially if you are gonna make one yourself.

I may try rigging one up myself. I'm working on the swing indoors and trying to groove from my takeaway to my transition to downswing. I'm commiting to 100 of these "swings" with my SW before I retire to bed every night.

As far as embarassment... if you knew me that would strike you as very funny. I am pretty unabashed. If I care less about ripping a huge fart at the range, a rigged up inside approach won't phase me in the least. I usually draw attention anyway as I grunt a little with the driver once I get warmed up. I tend to try an hit a half a dozen "max" drives once I'm warmed up. I'm talking "long drive" swing attempts, coming almost off the ground.

Hmmm, show me pics and tell us how it works(the contraption).

Oh, and ROck, equipment won't fix your swing? Look who you are talking to!

Ez, easy to make with about two bucks worth of 1/2 or 3/4 inch PVC pipe and some connectors from your local hardware store. I made one and it took about 20 minutes to cut and build. Used one of those swimming noodle tube things for the foam piece.

Ez, easy to make with about two bucks worth of 1/2 or 3/4 inch PVC pipe and some connectors from your local hardware store. I made one and it took about 20 minutes to cut and build. Used one of those swimming noodle tube things for the foam piece.

Thanks. I saw a plan for one somewhere on the net. I'm pretty handy so shouldn't be a problem to figure it out. I also got permission from my landlady to utilize the backyard to practice "air swings". I wonder if that would be a good place to use the "inside approach". I suppose I could use a tee under it and just clip the tee with the driver.

You don't need to buy the inside approach. It will align your swing plane too far to the right on the downswing. I can help you fix your over the top in a few minutes if you would like. You already know how to make the correct motions,, you just have not let yourself tap into them yet! I am new to the site, and not quite sure how to get around. Let me know if I can help. DPC, PGA

there is an easier way to fix this over the top move you guys are talking about. I'd love to give you guys a couple of new images which I know would fix your problem "on command"! Let me know. David Czaja, PGA

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54