• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

lifting weight and golf

King Par, keep up the working out. If you're smart about your eating and working out, you can put a lot of muscle next to very little fat on that frame. But GAWD are you thin... I'm 5'10" 160 and I still appear thin.

Next time you're at the store, find where they keep all their powerbar-ish stuff. See if they have "Clif" brand bars, and look for the "Builder" variety. These are actually quite good, rather than a powerbar which is like chewing on an old tire. They have 20g of protein, good carbs, and low amounts of fat.

Clif's regular product, which is just "Clif Bar" versus the "Builder Bar" has less protein, but a great balance nonetheless.

Eggs are cheap. Subtract yolk and eat lots of them.

Pasta is cheap. Eat lots of it.

Bread is cheap. Eat it with eggs. Eat it with pasta. Lots of it.

If you're working out steadily you should see some good gains. Even if you don't gain a whole lot of weight, you will feel a hell of a lot better. Don't forget fruits and vegetables, either.

I'd also suggest you see a professional nutritionist.

wow.. thanks for the replies.

i do everything as far as working out. mon wed fri i work out and tuesday/thursday i run.
i started working religiously since december.

i've stopped smoking not too long ago (but going pretty strong w/ chantix ;)), so i'm just limiting myself to 3miles. besides, i hate running on treadmill. w/ better weather, i'll be running lot more though.

my workout is more like a circuit trainning. i do 3sets of everything. starting w/ 10 pull ups, 10-50lb dumbell press, 10-90lb military press, 10-110lb lat-pull, 60lb tricep pull. have about 5min break in between sets and when i'm done, i grab 15lb dumbell and do triceps and biceps until my arms fall off. after this, i do push ups as much as i can until i fall on the ground.

and then comes stretching for 30min.

i've gained about 5lbs since december after losing little bit of weight. lot of protein bars and shakes b/f and a/f workout and good meals.

it feels best described as "gorilla w/ a stick" :D
i'll continue to workout and see how it goes. right now golf has to wait. interviews coming up, more responsibility at work, etc..

you should also be prac. before you workout. If you workout befor hitting balls throws off your whole tempo and dosnt let you work on what needs to be. So always practice before working out .!

PhillyGolfer change your name! :laugh:

Every time I read you post something, I immediately think "I don't remember posting in this thread, I wonder what I said?" :laugh:

HAHA Eagle I was just thinking "Why'd this jackass post twice..."

TwoFast, your workout sounds extensive. Honestly I'd suggest that if you planned on golfing, tone it down for 1-2 days prior to it. With a workout that intense I don't know if you'll ever be bouncing back as quickly as we're suggesting. Sounds like you push yourself to the max, and then get started. Excellent workout, and GREAT job quitting the cigs. Just plan ahead if you're gonna golf. Maintaining strength doesn't require extensive exercise. Gaining it does. So work on maintaining once you start golfing regularly again.

You'd better stop sissing it and start really lifting.
icon10.gif
I went with my brother today and did some full out military presses. Bar on the ground with 105, powerclean and press. Hopefully the stronger core will give me a lot more stability and eventually the ablility to just rotate harder to hit it longer. Weather looks like crap this week, I'll probably just go one more week then start hitting balls again.

You'd better stop sissing it and start really lifting.
icon10.gif
I went with my brother today and did some full out military presses. Bar on the ground with 105, powerclean and press. Hopefully the stronger core will give me a lot more stability and eventually the ablility to just rotate harder to hit it longer. Weather looks like crap this week, I'll probably just go one more week then start hitting balls again.

well you have a spotter.. i don't ;)

i'm working out b/c i was out of shape, wanted a healthier body than just swinging clubs. i hate the feeling when i'm swinging golf club, but i love the physical and mental energy i get from working out.

the weather still sucks here, so i'm gonna keep doing my stuff and tone down a little bit when the golf season starts.
thanks!

LMK if you want to go to the gym one day. I still have a few guest passes. It does help having a spotter. I like the standing military press because you don't need a spot, just give a little squat-bump to get the weight moving back up to get a few more reps.

LMK if you want to go to the gym one day. I still have a few guest passes. It does help having a spotter. I like the standing military press because you don't need a spot, just give a little squat-bump to get the weight moving back up to get a few more reps.

will you be wearing a spandex? :D

I'm gonna have to see how this works out for me. I've been lifting heavily for the past few months and have packed a lot of muscle on. For the first month I focused on dropping fat/building tone (cardio/lightweights with high # of reps). In the past 3-4 weeks, I've been doing a lot of upper body bulk training (maxes/forced reps etc.) I'm worried that I may lose my tempo for my golf swing, but at least I'll be jacked for football season playing middle LB :laugh:.

I'm gonna have to see how this works out for me. I've been lifting heavily for the past few months and have packed a lot of muscle on. For the first month I focused on dropping fat/building tone (cardio/lightweights with high # of reps). In the past 3-4 weeks, I've been doing a lot of upper body bulk training (maxes/forced reps etc.) I'm worried that I may lose my tempo for my golf swing, but at least I'll be jacked for football season playing middle LB :laugh:.

i talked to my golf buddy in NC about working out, and he said if you just workout and not play/practice, you'll lose your tempo and little bit of mechanics. you have to workout to compliment your golf swing. i have hard time doing this because of time constraints. i have time for either one, just not both. i wish i did... hopefully during spring time.. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520