• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Longest 5 holes I've ever played

zaphod

Reaction score
This morning I decided to play a quick 9 at my local 9 hole course. Arrived at tee at 10:15 and course had very few players on it. I was going out alone but another golfer strolled up and asked if he could join me. OK. Off we go. Both walking with carts. I play this course (par 36) anywhere from a 35-39. My partner looks like a bogey plus a couple golfer. No problem. I done this combo many times.

Here's my rant. The gentleman gets up to his ball and stands behind it for 20 to 40 seconds. Walks to cart to carefully select club. 3 to 5 practice swings-- for crying out loud. Walks behind ball again ---to ponder?? Here he may or may not use the club he has selected. If he switches its more practice swings. Finally addresses the ball---for another 20 seconds ( I had plenty of opportunities to actually measure the time). And then he strikes the ball.

This routine is repeated for each shot whether a drive or chip. What amazed me was there was no effort to read any putts????? He just got in there and hits em.

Remember we are a twosome and no one ahead of us. After five holes I'm even with a bogey and bird. He is some where at +7. Not bad. BUT its 12;00 frick'in o'clock. 1+3/4 hours to golf 5 holes unimpeded.:real angry:

Fortunately the fifth hole is next to the parking lot so I politely say that my alma matter is playing football on ESPN and I want to see the game. He says he is going to finish his 18 hole round. Good luck and I leave.

He had informed me he has been golfing for 3 years and plays on a league. A rookie to golf and I would understand.:hunter:
Thanks for allowing me to vent WOW I feel better now

You are much too nice. :laugh: I'd have gone ahead alone for sure.

Yeah, Guess I'm not a quick study. Wisconsin lost BTW to Illinois. Went later to another local course and had a pleasant 18. That Ping with the Solutions shaft is the BOMB. Just enjoyable to hit it.

Did you do a review of the solutions zaphod?

I absolutely love slow play, I love to be able to take my time. I somehow got paired up with notoriously slow players in tourneys this season. I'm known as a fast player, so officials weren't worried about me, but knew who was holding us up. So when the heat is on us to hurry up, i'm fine, I can stick to my quick putting routine and my normal swing routine. It just gives me more time to analyze while the slowpoke is taking forever:).

IMO its harder to play with all fast golfers in a tourney than slower/normal paced players. But that's just me, I'm big on analysis and figuring stuff out on course. Also probly why I play better with a caddy just to voice out what im thinking and somewhat of someone just to bounce ideas off of, usually friends who I play with, so they're capable of telling me when they don't think I can hit a shot (a challenge!:D).

I have a problem playing slow, I rather play behind a slow player, then with one. I have an 11 second preshot routine, including club selection and practice swings, and I line up my putts while walking up to the green, maybe taking a look from 2 angles, get over and go. When I play with slow players, I cant stand still. I always walk to the flag on the green, walk around, clean my clubs, play with a ball, SOMETHING. If im behind a slow player, I can atleast talk to whom im playing with, or something like that.

This routine is repeated for each shot whether a drive or chip. What amazed me was there was no effort to read any putts????? He just got in there and hits em.

That is mad - I would take my time in this aspect, and perhaps not enough time / not concentrate for quite long enough in the rest.

Man, fair play to ya for sticking him out for that length of time. You did the right and honourable thing, whereas I might well have had it out with him before those handful of holes ! :real angry: :D

That guy sounds pretty unbearable to play with. Just lets hope he doesn't read these pages...although that might note be a bad thing as maybe he doesn't realise he is doing anything wrong. Surely not, though. Did he look as if he knew he was being real, real slow, Zaphod..?? :(

I usually play 9 holes in about 1 hr 15 minutes & it doesn't seem to matter if I walk or take a cart, it's the same time. I am by no means fast, I do take my time addressing the ball but I never take any practice swings, just not sure what I am supposed to be learning by doing that?

If I am shooting well, I don't mind being behind a couple who is moderately slow because it does give me more time to think, but if they are hacking all over the course from left to right & then back, spending 5 minutes looking for every ball, etc I will either play thru or simply skip the hole & move ahead.

I think i have been near that slow before. But a nice guy i played with told me to stop thinking and worrying or something like that, and it has really helped me play better.:)

your are much too nice, you shoulda dropped him

on the second hole. What did you gain by suffering his poor play, and his foolish routines? Tell him you appreciate that he is enjoying the chance to take his time but you are trying to get nine in before Christmas, (no not really) and you wouild like to go ahead.

I learned my lesson here. I was fooled once but not again--by same individual. I am at times a sucker. I like Will Rogers quote. I have never met a person I didn't like. The guy was ok just his pace was way too slow. Just not a golfing partner.

Yeah There is a review in "equipment review" with thread under zaphod. CT250 with solutions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520