• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lots of tip players lately.

The OU course in norman has a 285 yard par 3. I dont care how far you hit it a par 3 that long is just stupid, par 3's are meant to test the iron game, not the hybrid, 3 wood game:rolleyes:

Just read that Oakmonts par 3 8th hole has been setup at times to be 288yds, thats wacked.

And the worlds longest par 3, Grenfell Country Club/NSW,Australia (266 metres)(290.9 yds)

Have fun playing from the tips on those babies.

When playing new courses I generally ask the starter or pro which tees suit my game. I give them my driver and 8 iron distance and hcp for info. Too easy of a layout is boring but hitting hybrids into 50% of the par 4s is no fun. Some courses are tight enough that yardage is not a true reflection of the proper tee choice. If playing a relaxed round with little golfer pressure I will change up the tee choice as the opportunities present themselves.

I used to work a second and third shift job. I could get onto a 36 hole setup early. With no one else playing I would make up holes. Perhaps a par 7 by playing the 5th tee to the 7th green cross country. That was really from the tips.

I still say as long as you aren't holding me up play from wherever you want. That being said I know I would not bother playing from the tips if I wasn't a single digit. Heck I don't like doing it now, but since I am getting back into tournaments I have to play back there.

I played this course today, it is one of my favorites just outside of Atlantic City.

http://www.twisteddune.com/tdscorecard.pdf

7339 from the back tees, I don't like to play from there if I don't have to, since most of my friends play from the whites or blues I end up playing the same tees they do. The Blues are just fine for most at 6721. Eighteenth from the black tees is 486, that's a par 5 on a lot of courses.

Great example there man. I didn't even see the cap recommendation until I'd gone over every hole. I'd not play the tips there, blues for sure. Blues would make every par 3 an iron, allow me to hit 3W, 5W and even 3i on some of the par 4's rather than taking the chance with driver on a tough course and all the par 5's are "reachable" distance wise. For my length and skill a good course. If I was playing a match with someone I could take my risks to catch up or whatever off the blues or play conservative. Off the blacks it would be too much. Par 5's would be out of reach in 2 and dropping to 3W or 5W on tighter par 4's would leave me a 3,5, 6i into par 4's with tough greens. On the other hand, whites would be too short. I'd run into the trouble quicker and there would be no point but to hit 3i's and 5i's off the tee on a lot of par 4's and still have a wedge or 9i in.

I think every course should have the recommended tees in an easy to see area of the card. I like that and it really holds true in my case. Not to mention if I avg. the yardage of the tees of the 4 courses I most often play... it's nearly dead on to the blue tees there.

So when are you inviting me up? lol. Where can I leave the GF for a few hours?:D

i like to play whites now and then. but lot of the courses around here are not even 7000yd from the tips.

i'm no long hitter by any means, but hitting a driver and using wedges for approachs get dull. i play better when i have full shot on approach. mostly that puts me at the tips.

i wouldn't however try to play on 7400yds, i think maximum distance i'd like is around 7200yds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520