• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Michelle Wie makes more $$ than Retief, Sergio, Annika, Padraig...

But calling her record from 2002-2004 anything but incredible and implying that she has scammed her way into fame and fortune doesn't make sense.

You can justifiably argue that right now her record between 02 and 04 could be called a 'flash in the pan' though. And the problem is that even the accomplishments listed contain a couple of 'near misses' - she *just* missed the cut, she *just* missed winning, etc.

Absolutely agree she was seen as a real phenomenon at age 12, but she's done nothing to justify the hype, and now she's approaching 18 she's suddenly getting bogged down in the mire of lots of other decent teenage golfers, and barely keeping her head above water at that.

If her long driving is - as is currently the case - gone forever, does she have anything marketable left? Seems her entire 'brand' was based on the 'Wow! She can hit it as far as the men!' fables.

She's not a scam artist.

-- Won the State Open and made it to the semis of the women's Public Links at age 12
-- Youngest player ever to make the cut in an LPGA Tour event and played in the final group in an LPGA major at age 13
-- Won the women's Public Links at age 13, youngest person ever to win a USGA event
-- The first woman to play in the men's Public Links, reached the quarterfinals
-- Came a stroke away from making a PGA Tour cut as a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL. How many fourteen year old boys do you know who have made the cut in a PGA Tour event?

That's why she has made money. Does her play in the last two years merit being the #6 highest earner in golf? No. But calling her record from 2002-2004 anything but incredible and implying that she has scammed her way into fame and fortune doesn't make sense.

What has she done over the last few years? What has she done to justify the money she is making? The answer is nothing. Maybe scam artist is a little harsh but she does for the game of golf except market herself. Personally I am tired of hearing about her.

She has not even been competitive on the LPGA tour yet she continues to enter PGA events that she has no business playing. A few weeks ago she withdrew from a tournament due to "injury" when she was in jeopardy of the 88 rule. After withdrawing she was seen on the practice range. She is a joke.

I'm going to give her enough time for her wrist to heal. If she doesn't start contending for and winning LPGA events after that, I'll be totally on your side.

I'd be willing to wager she has until maybe 2009-2010 and if she hasnt won an LPGA tournament by then absolutely everyone will jump ship moneywise.

Wait they haven't yet? She is so hysterical about herself and guess what guys BJ sure made a killing didnt he?

Sometimes seriously hearing 1/2 the stuff she pulls off she makes me want to drop Nike and go on over to Titleist I bet they wouldn't bother with 1/2 the shit she pulls off. Oh wait you wanna WD and then go practice ehh no thanks we want our money back thank you:)! I am suprised nobody on tour has really tried to harm her "unintentionally".

Reality check! That is what she truly needs. I wish an LPGA stop would come around here and I would purposely buy into the Pro-Am ask for Wie and see what she really acts like. Then go sell my story to SI and make a killing:laugh:.

Well, I don't know if Wie has done "nothing" to deserve her pro money.....

2005:
2nd Fields Open
2nd LPGA (Major)
Was leading through 54 holes and played in the last group at the US Open
3rd British Open

2006:
3rd Fields Open
3rd Kraft Nabisco (Major)
5th LPGA (Major)
3rd US Open
2nd Evian Masters ("5th" Major)

The finish in the Evian Masters was just last July. Less than a year ago.

Those finishes are the highlights since she turned pro which are getting her the big bucks.

As in the stock market, prior performance is not necessarily indicative of future gains.

She doesn't have any game whatsoever now and she still made the cut (on the number) in a major. I honestly have no idea why she wouldn't just apply for the LPGA and play the minimum amount of weeks. I can see why she wants to go to school. That you can really only do once, while you are young. She'll never be 18-22 again. But her college experience won't really be the same as the rest of ours, will it?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520