• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Midsize grips?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Reaction score
I've always used regular size grips, but last night at the range I hit my friends' clubs with New Decade Multicompound in midsize with 2 tape wraps, and they felt great.

Now this guy has huge paws, a mens extra large. I wear a mens' small glove. Why would his club grips seem to fit me better than a regular size?

If I did want to try regripping a set of clubs with midsize, do I use the same core size for graphite woods and steel iron shafts?

Do I have to worry about the increased weight of the grips?

I've always used regular size grips, but last night at the range I hit my friends' clubs with New Decade Multicompound in midsize with 2 tape wraps, and they felt great.

Now this guy has huge paws, a mens extra large. I wear a mens' small glove. Why would his club grips seem to fit me better than a regular size?

If I did want to try regripping a set of clubs with midsize, do I use the same core size for graphite woods and steel iron shafts?

Do I have to worry about the increased weight of the grips?
I wear a mens large and use midsized grips. Like any grip, the midsize have core size specifications. Although they are usually more difficult to find in core sizes other than 60 Round. So if you have a bigger butt size on the graphite shaft, you may have to look around, otherwise the grips may just be a little bigger. You could also add tape to a smaller standard grip on these to make it the same as midsized, then add midsized to your irons. I just put the midsized on and live with the slightly bigger feeling grips on my woods. Don't mind, because they are consistent in my woods. They do generally weigh about 10-15gr more. While it will effect the overall weight, it will not effect the swingweight as it is in the 14" fulcrum. Although it will effect the calculation if you test the SW with the midsized grip installed. So if you question any SW's on your clubs, I would test them prior.

It is all about feel IMO, so yeah you could use a Midsized grip with small hands, you could also have thin fingers which also may come into play as to why. Or he may have hugh paws with very thick fingers. Or he may just have grips that are smaller in his hands even though they are Midsized. Just realize that while the club may feel better, a bigger grip may make it harder for your to release through impact, which may be a good or bad thing.

Have used nothing but Lamkin Crossline Midsize on everything except putter for a number of years. Any time I try a club with a standard size grip, it feels extremely strange. My hands are not overly large. (They say a man's finger length is directly proportional to the length of other... ummm... body parts. I have short fingers!) I think some of my need for the midsize grips may be just the age thing. The old hands/knuckles just are not as nimble as they once were. The onset of arthritic joints makes the midsize grip so much more comfortable and controlable.

The Lamkin Crosslines last forever. Best wearing grip I have ever used. Stays soft and tacky. Some of mine have been on for three seasons and... as many strokes as it takes me to get around the course............

I have midsized grips on my wedges and have built up my putter grip. I feel like the bigger grip relieves pressure/tension in my forearms. Maybe just a feeling

Jason

I've got standard grips on all my woods, and midsize on my irons and i perfer a smaller grip than the recommended "jumbo" for my hands. It's all about feel.

My perfered grips is cheapo karma velvets and there is a 7 gram difference between the standard and midsize so it can vary quite a bit between grips and grip manufactures.

I agree that it's all about feel. And since regripping is easy, it's easy to experiment with.

I have regular New Decade's on my woods and irons, midsize Winn hybrid's on my wedges, a Tiger Shark on my putter.

I play GP MC Decades with 2 wraps and have Large (not XL) hands. I love that midsize feel. My playing partner has smaller hands and loves my grips as well. He comments on them every time he grabs a club. Case in point I guess is that if you like it - use it.

A lot of people say larger grips with your driver makes it harder to close the club face. You hear that a lot on the golf channel. I have never tried it to be able to tell the difference. I just thought I would throw that in there.

I have the midsized grips on my driver ,fairway woods & a couple of wedges, irons still have the stock grips which eventually will replaced with midsize.

I got jumbos on everything, i always felt like the club would move a little in my right hand with standard and even midsize grips, but i got fitted and have large hands and they recommended jumbos also

How funny, I wear an XL glove-sometimes an XXL depending on the brand. I use standard ribbed grips. I tried midsize but they just didn't feel right. Soon though I will be putting GP Multi compound ribbed on all my irons and maybe my wedges....

I have extra large hands with really long fingers ( :D ) and my S59 irons (I think) have mid-size Ping full cord grips on them. They feel fantastic. (Actually I have extra large hands with normal length fingers limp)... :)

At what point do you take a look at going to midsize grips?

At what point do you take a look at going to midsize grips?
What made me consider was when the tips of my finger would press into the butt of the palm of my hand. In it doing so, it would actually force me to have to grip the club harder to overcome the tips touching my palm, and resulting in the tips digging in to the palm. In having a larger grip, where the tips would just barely reach the butt of the palm, I now simply close my hand around the grip and it is enough to hold onto the club. Ever since going to a midsized grip, grip pressure is no longer even a thought. When I went back on my last set of clubs on the fitter recommendation, it was miserable and I ended up regripping the clubs after just a couple weeks. Now anytime I use a standard grip, I feel like I am strangling the club.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520