• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Might be a bit before I can play 18 again

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Reaction score
I last got to play on Sunday, and it was hot that day. I made it around okay, if a feeling a bit more tired than usual by the end which I chalked up to it just being very hot and humid. Still, I was a bit perplexed at how I often seemed to be underclubbing by one or two clubs, even though I was confident in the yardages and what club I should be able to use to reach the green.

Then I woke up on Monday with my throat tickling in a way I found very reminiscent of how it tickled for a day back in 2004.

It seems I'm one of the unfortunate few who not only get mononucleosis or glandular fever once after exposure to the Epstein-Barr virus, but who also get to have a recurrent episode.

So I'm just griping a bit here. I'm just fecking tired after this week which has seen the exact same progression of symptoms as April 2004, although thankfully enough the symptoms have been milder in nature. I've had the sore throat, but not as sore. I have had the swollen lymph nodes, but not as swollen. I've had the cough, but not quite so frequent. I've had the fever, but not the eyeballs burning out of my head fever. And the spleen hasn't enlarged this time.

But I'm still going to have the period of fatigue and lack of energy. I tried taking a short walk around the office complex after lunch today, and was exhausted after 10 minutes.

Maybe in 2-3 weeks I can play some golf again, but I may have to invest in a motorized cart.

Hey RBB
sorry to hear, heres to quick recovery
peace
doug

wow im sorry to hear it man. I really hope that it passes soon and as least violently as possible. I haven't even heard of this and I really am sorry to hear it.

I am very sorry to hear your news...Epstein-Barr virus ended my uncle's career as a general surgeon....good luck with your health.

Bravo said:
I am very sorry to hear your news...Epstein-Barr virus ended my uncle's career as a general surgeon....good luck with your health.
Wow, what happened there? It obviously has widely different effects on people, as can be seen that probably 95% of all people by age 35 will have been exposed to the virus, a good portion of people never develop any illness in response to the virus. In fact it seems that the younger you contract it, the more mild or more likely to be non-existent are the symptoms.

I should have fooled around more when I was younger.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
Wow, what happened there? It obviously has widely different effects on people, as can be seen that probably 95% of all people by age 35 will have been exposed to the virus, a good portion of people never develop any illness in response to the virus. In fact it seems that the younger you contract it, the more mild or more likely to be non-existent are the symptoms.

I should have fooled around more when I was younger.

It happened when he was over 60 years old but still practicing. He was from a small town in rural Arkansas but went to medical school at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He was extremely well respected and was the only surgeon in an entire region of the state for over 30 years and was widely counted on. He saved many lives from car accidents as he got a lot of trauma experience over the years. He was the "go to guy" when there was a bad wreck in that part of the state -before the advent of medical helicopters airflighting accident victims to urban medical centers. When there was a bad accident within 80 miles or so, the ambulance always went to his town with the victim. He was on the Board of the American College of Surgeons at one time etc.

Well he contracted the virus from a patient. As with your first case, his recovery was very long and while his general health was decent, he found he did not have enough strength to stand on his feet steadily for long periods of time - which obviously is required in long surgeries. So for the next couple of years, he limited his practice to certain surgeries that were less demanding on him but it really took the wind out of his sails and he finally retired for good.

Incidentally he was a very good golfer - about a four handicap. And I am named after him...he is actually my grandmother's brother and still alive - about 95 years old now.

I had mono once as a yound kid. I was fortunate enough that I have never had a reoccurrence. I remember it wiping me completely out for about 2 weeks.

Hope you feel better soon.I have had crohns for years plus secondary conditions and now find it hard to walk round the course.Illness and golf are not a good mix best of luck.

I basically just shut down over the weekend, and avoided anything strenuous. The last couple days I have measured myself at work by doing my usual walk after lunch, which is to walk around the perimeter of the office campus. Yesterday I did a lap at a shuffling pace and felt exhausted by the end. Not good. Today, however, I did a lap with a slowly moderate pace, and still have a feeling of some energy at the conclusion.

I'm thinking that's a positive sign, and I should be well enough this weekend to go to a practice green to hit pitches, chips and putts. Then seeing how things go after that, I'll make a decision in the coming weeks as to when I can go play 18 and use a cart to move me around.

Sorry to hear this, RBB.

Good luck on the recovery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35