• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mini-trip to Michigan tomorrow and Monday

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Reaction score
18 at Eagle Eye near Lansing tomorrow (#81 on Golf Digest's list of Publics), 36 at Arcadia Bluffs Monday (#10 on the GD Publics list). Will post pics and comments when I get back. Have played Eagle Eye before and really liked it. First times around Arcadia and pretty fired up. Regrooved my irons and have three putters and two drivers in the bag (it's still pretty early, call it spring training).

Arcadia Review (Eagle Eye coming)

I have wanted to play Arcadia Bluffs (#10 in the U.S. among Public Courses, 46th overall) for quite sometime. Got a chance at a Memorial Day discounted rate of $110 plus $75 for a replay round. It is in a very remote area of Michigan on the west side of the state about halfway up the coast.

We had a crazy day. A rare fog blanketed the course for much of our morning round (see pics). We could only see about 150-180 yards for much of the front nine. It lifted a bit for the back nine and was mostly gone for our second round. 95% of the people that play this course will say it is the best course they have ever played. The views are great. It is a unique course in that it drops hundreds of feet from its highest to lowest point in a steady decline. The wind blows off of Lake Michigan, the downhill holes play into the wind and the uphill holes play downwind. Picking the right club is a challenge.

The course is very good, but not outstanding. The best holes are fairly early in the round. The third through fifth are terrific, interesting and fun. After that there are many good and very good holes, a few strange holes (10 and 11 play through dramatic canyons, but better fit a desert course and seem contrived) and no truly bad holes.

However, I feel it is an underwhelming design. The bluffs that the course is on are poorly utilized. Only two holes really use the lake as a hazard and they allow the player to bail out if necessary. It just does not seem very well thought out. The par-3s are over the top in their difficulty. Awkward targets, long, and greens that did not hold. The course lacks a fun driveable par-4 as well.

The course does not play that hard from the tee. There is only one truly tight tee shot (14) and not many bunkers in play unless the ball is really hit badly. We played the tips and it is around 7300 yards, but not overwhelming.

The green complexes are ridiculous and somewhat unfair. They are almost like they decided to stitch three small bowls together to make a green. If your ball ends up on the wrong side of a ridge it is an automatic three putt or worse. The player is better off missing the green 40 feet away than having a 40 foot putt as most chips can be hit into a side of the bowl near the flag and will funnel towards the cup. If chipping from on the green wasn't taboo, my group would have done it four or five times. I was lucky enough to be hitting the ball mediocre and missing greens, but getting up and down. My buddy hit 11 greens and took over 40 putts.

The design is not a links. The course does not play firm and fast and does not have the random bunkering and sandy packed soil of a links. It is fairly lush and was in very good shape for May in Michigan. It has links elements including quite a few small pot bunkers.

It is as stunning a piece of property as any golf course I have ever played (including Bandon Dunes). Any course built here would have been great. The layout is just average given the property that it is on. It deserves its accolades, but could be better.

In summary, I would recommend it highly. It is gorgeous. Its shortcomings would likely not be noticed by most golfers.

Customer Service:
The restaurant was just fair and overpriced. We ate lunch and dinner there. The food was bland and overcooked. We wanted breakfast, but strangely it is not available. The town of Arcadia is tiny and only has a couple of restaurants that were not open in the morning. We did not see a grocery store. Bring some fruit if you are staying nearby.

We stayed at the Pleasant Valley Motel in Arcadia. Small Mom and Pop motel. Really clean. Friendly people. It was $60 for a double and good enough for guys that came for the golf.

One of the guys was not feeling well and set out in search of some Rolaids. He found an ice cream shop that was open and the lady that owned it woke up her husband to open the gas station / convenience store for him. Nice people again.

Similar Courses Played:
Arcadia is a really one of a kind. Have played Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes and Bay Harbor on similar land and find those layouts much more fun and interesting.

The four photos attached to this post are of the 3rd hole and 13th holes in the morning and afternoon. Ironically I drove it much better in the morning round (Hmmmm...). It is not really evident in many of the pictures that I have, but Lake Michigan is in view on just about every hole.
IMG_4347.jpg
IMG_4349.jpg
IMG_4354.jpg
IMG_4371.jpg

The Fifth and 10th

First photo is of yours truly. (Got it on the green, from about 40 yards away, just like swinging at waist high fastball). Two pics of the 5th hole. Downhill par-5. You play it straight down about 500 yards and then turn to the left and hit a wedge to the green from around a 100 yards. First pic is from the tee, second of the third shot approach. In the fog round, I smoked one down what was the left side and hit a 7-wood over the back with my second. One pic of the 10th hole taken from the 18th tee.
IMG_4350.jpg
IMG_4357.jpg
IMG_4358.jpg
IMG_4388.jpg

The 11th, 12th and 15th

First two photos are of the 633 yard 11th. The second is taken from the 18th which is quite far away. The next photo is on the 12th hole. Lake Michigan on the left and about 100 feet straight down. The fairway is wide and elevated. The bunker is not really in play. The fourth pic is of the 15th green and sort of illustrates the slopes.
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4387.jpg
IMG_4369.jpg
IMG_4373.jpg

16th, 17th and 18th

Should have mentioned the weird little flagsticks. My buddy in the first photo is about 5-8.

The second pic is of another roller coaster putt on the 16th green. My buddy actually putted it off the green. It shows the clubhouse in the background. Great views from there.

Third pic is the tough uphill 17th. Listed at 175 yards, it played about 210 because of it being uphill and into the wind.

The last pic, is from in front of the clubhouse looking back down 18 and out over the course.
IMG_4382.jpg
IMG_4383.jpg
IMG_4386.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg

Great pics, and a good review. Those look like some mean par-3's, for sure. I would play there for $110, no problem.

Great review, TSV! Looks nice, and I appreciate your takes on the design.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520

3. 15,300