• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mizuno MP-001-nasty stick

dave.

Reaction score
I need a bomb and drop driver to compliment the 983,as good as it is i can get 10 yards from some of these monsters,so i will get one for wet courses,winter and for just general messing about,but mainly for when the course is drenched.

So I've hit every driver on the range for a while now;

FT-3 fine,
Wilson thingy,good club
Nike boring,but long
R7 great club,but to expensive s/h
510 TP awesome,but no longer than the 983
Cobra thingy fine,but deafening,needs a health warning or ear plugs
905 weird,just doesn't do it for me,long though
Cleveland Launcher 460,the last model with the gold shaft,awesome,very very long and striaght,superb club,I'm getting one

Mizuno MP-001 truly dreadful.The ball had a shit flight,and crucuailly just dropped out of the air from a low flight path,and the head felt dead.Nasty nightmare stick.Maybe it was busted,and the shaft felt dead as well.The Cleveland laughed at it. (totally pissed itself tbh)

How much you paying for that Launcher? I just ordered an r7 from rockbottomdolf.com for $250, is it cheaper than that?

Dave.

Try the G2 or G5.

Never been a Ping man, (except for a 1 iron I had for many years!) but I was well impressed. I tried the G2 with a Prolaunch Graffalloy (65s) and the G5 with the green Aldila NV shaft (65s). Preferred the former. I always feel that the NVs feel a bit too wooden / boxy to me.

Massive sweet spot, great boring trajectory. My only negative was the aesthetic half moon alignment aid on the head at address.

I was hitting my 983K afterwards. When I hit it sweet, nothing compares. But on an off hit I am losing 20-30 yards to a similar off-hit with the Ping.

Off hits are what matters to me.

I need to try out the Launcher and R7 to compare, but I can see another toy going in the bag over the next few months and it may come from the Karsten family.

I had a G2 last year and couldn't keep the flight down,the thing just ballooned on me (Aldila NV 65),great club though.

How did you find the Launcher to be in comparison to the R7? I am thinking of getting a Launcher off Ebay and currently play the R7 400cc model.

Last weekend at the range, I demoed a G2 (Ping is the only brand of driver they sell) 8.5*; both with the Aldila NV-S and the Graphalloy Prolaunch in stiff flex.

I seemed to hit the G2/Aldila combo in the sweetspot almost every time, gaining 30 yards over my 983K. Nice, high draws. The G2/Graphalloy combo never did feel right, and I was hitting high righters with it.

I have not been able to demo a Launcher yet.

If they will give me a decent tradein on the G2, the 983K may be history soon.

460 Ti. Cheap like cheap.

I've heard nothing but good things about the G5 as well. However, I can't stand Ping woods myself, but that's me.

Comps are going for about $200CDN and you can get the Ti for ~$175CDN with a stock shaft.

Long and straight. What more can you ask for?

R35

No offence siberian,but finding 30 yards with a new driver means you can't have been hitting the previous club properly,or it just wasn't suited to your game.I will be using the 983 in summer,it will run for miles,the Cleveland will be for wetter conditions.

The R7 is a lovely club,but the Launcher just bombs in 10 yards past anything I can get with any other driver,and 10 yards is a huge difference.

No offence siberian,but finding 30 yards with a new driver means you can't have been hitting the previous club properly,or it just wasn't suited to your game

I agree. :) The 983K has a Prolite regular flex shaft, the G2 has the Aldila NV-S, for one major difference. The other is probably sweetspot size. With the 983K, I have to slow down to get a good hit, with the Ping, I was going all out.

dave. said:
No offence siberian,but finding 30 yards with a new driver means you can't have been hitting the previous club properly,or it just wasn't suited to your game.I will be using the 983 in summer,it will run for miles,the Cleveland will be for wetter conditions.

The R7 is a lovely club,but the Launcher just bombs in 10 yards past anything I can get with any other driver,and 10 yards is a huge difference.

Are you getting a high launch with the stock shaft? I have a pretty low trajectory with the R7 stock stiff. I have it set to high launch too (2 10g's in the rear) I am essentially looking for something similar to what you are. The new course I am playing doesn't really need a whole lot of fades and draws. It has 4 par 5's though. I could hit 7 or 8 iron into them if I could get a drive 40-50ft. in the air and 10 yds. longer.

IrishGolfer said:
I tried the G2 with a Prolaunch Graffalloy (65s) and the G5 with the green Aldila NV shaft (65s). Preferred the former. I always feel that the NVs feel a bit too wooden / boxy to me.

You find the NV boardier than the Pro Launch? That seems a little odd. You a slow tempo guy IG?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520