• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Music while playing?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever worn an MP3 player while playing? If so what did you think about the experience? I tried it a few weeks ago for 4 holes & it wasn't too bad actually, found myself spending less time thinking about shots which resulted in some pretty decent shots.

Don't know if I could do it all the time though.

Not for me. I like the quietness, sound of nature, hearing click-clack from the clubs.

Every now and again when I am playing alone near dawn. It's great for walking and when you are hitting shots, I find it distacting when I putt tho.

I tried it on the range and didn't care for it. a friend of mine has his ipod hooked up to small speakers and plays it during the round. very low of coarse.

I once played with my MP3 player, and it didn't do anything for me one way or another. The earbuds kept falling out when I was addressing the ball, and like VtDivot, I found it distracting when I was putting. Of course, I was listening to metal, so maybe if I had some Santana or Kenny Chesney, it could have been a bit better.

On the other hand, I played one Sunday morning at my cousin's home course (Whitewater Country Club), and there was a small radio in the cart. A number of other people were out that morning as well, skipping church, and we could hear their music playing as well, all on the same station. It was actually quite relaxing and laid back, and I think I remember shooting in the 80's.

Playing with earbuds did not work for me. A radio in the cart is great. Even better a radio in background at the driving range.

Tried listening to a Packer game wearing earbuds while playing golf was REALLY bad for my golf. It was a game against division rival Minnesota. That REALLY was a good walk spoiled.:shark:

Me and the kids spend time at the putting green at our local course pretty frequently. Our 3 1/2 year old can pretty much run amok without causing any problems. Several of the good high school and college players in the area practice putting late in the day as well, and many of them do so while rockin the ipods.

Gonna try that. I'll bet I putt better than normal.

But a full round? I upgraded my earbuds (the stock ipod earbuds suck, imo) and I have a pair that fit VERY snug and would stay in no doubt, but I don't know if I would like it. Talking to your playing partners (often my son, father or at least one friend or neighbor) is part of the game for me. Much more than uttering the occassional ".....shot......"

I will use an ipod when practicing, but not usually during a round, I think it is a little anti-social if I catch up to another group. When I am practicing, it is my time and I don't want to be bothered by other people's conversations or the sound of miss hit shots.

Can't stand it. I had an ipod for about 2 weeks before it broke, didn't bother to get a new one, as the quality on mine was plain junk. I tried it while I was putting around, I had no sense of distance control at all.

I use to listen to music on my ipod, until 2 incidents occured....

I was playing in a tourny, and i was allowed to listen to music. So, i put in my head phones, put my ipod on Shuffle, and went off for the 18 hole tourny. I ended up shooting good, and went into a play-off with another kid. We did 3 play off holes, and tied everyone one of them. Then, on the 4th hole, a par 4 with water right in front of the tee, i went to tee up. I had forgotten that ONE of my songs on my ipod BLARES, and is really explosive. So, got into my stance, and a song just ended...A few seconds of silence occured during my backswing, then, halfway through my downswing the song came on and nearly Blew out my ears. I duffed my shot in the water. I ended up losing the hole, and got a 2nd place finish. (Song was FALSE PRETENCE-Red jumpsuit appparatus)

Another time, i was listening to my ipod, and walking a round. My friends though that i had heard them coming up behind me on a cart, and they yelled. (Having fun). I didnt hear them, and they ended up running me over, and it hurt.

toddy, that exact same songs blares on my ipod too!!! Not even joking at all.

I wear my headphones all the time when playing/practising bymyself. I want to practise and dont want to be distracted. I use SkullCandy earbuds, never fall out and block out all noise.

In tournaments where we are allowed using headphones I usually just put them in for a few holes that im not playing well to get back in my groove and chill.

Funny thing, my friend knows how to lace songs together, and laced the Tour Tempo for his swing into about 20 songs. So he had an entire playlist with the Tour Tempo of his swing laced into the background of the tracks. So unless you knew it was there, you wouldnt notice it at all, but if u paid attention and subconciously you could tell it was there while swinging. (which of course we all know, is illegal)

Each to his own, but when I'm on the course alone I'm thinking about my game as that's practice time for me..no time for music.

When I'm with others, I'm there to spend time with them, not listen to music.

There's no place for music when I'm on the course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520