• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My name is Earl....well kinda!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We took our two lads (aged 6 and 8) out golfing last night. They played 4 holes and my wife and I caddied for them!! It was their first outing this year. I haven’t been pushy with them, they just have a lot on with hurling, football, school etc. They got lessons last year and probably played 5 or 6 rounds, but this year, outside the putting green one day, they have not really been interested.

Anyway they played great. At the start I had to sort them out again with grip and alignment but they can both whack it. The 8 year old reached the 1st in 3! That’s 420 yards with a 3 wood, hybrid and 7 iron. He took 7 putts!! :laugh:

So we reached the 18th (our 4th) and I set them a challenge. They both had to beat 10 shots to win a prize. It is only about 350 yards but was into a light breeze. They both set off like Tiger on a mission.

The older boy has a great swing, very natural. He hit a good drive (120 yards), scuffed his 2nd left and hit his 3rd right, leaving him ~90 yards in 3. He was faced with a tricky shot in that there are bunkers left and right. Well he managed to drill one to about 8 feet!!! High 5s all round!!!

The younger lad Seamus was being coached by my wife, who admitted afterwards to giving him a good lie in the rough, but he reached the green in 6 genuine shots.

Pearse (8) putted down to 4 ft. and then holed calm as you like for a 6. The other lad holded a 3 fttoer for an 8.

Ice Creams all round. Talk about cleaning me out! Actually I got such a buzz out of it. Especially as Pearse is now wanting to go out again soon.

Just imagine how rich you'll be when they become the new "Tigers" years from now! And you'll also be the new "Earl"!!! Wished I had some kids that were interested in golf. Or even grandkids.... :)

I'm jealous IG. Neither of my girls has ever had any interest. The closet I ever got was the young enjoying driving the cart and that ended when she was 12.

Sounds like a great time.

The more you push them the less they'll want to play, you've done a good job IG.

Geeze. I kinda feel for you, old man.

You really gotta wonder if it's worth playing the game anymore when your 8 year old hand you your ass on a platter.

Think about it. :D

R35

Great story, M.

good story... i cant wait until or son gets a little older so we can go play some. he is only 14 months but knows that you use daddy Scotty to hit the little balls.the wife and i have walked in on him a few times lately putting the ball down in front of the putter and hitting it.

That's awesome. I play with my 6-year old son all the time.

My second son is 16 months now, he has one of those plastic toy sets that he flails around the living room with. He's very gracious, though. Whenever his thrashing causes the ball to move, he acknowledges the gallery (my wife and I sitting on the couch) by waving to us.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,780

Rockford35

2. 17,420

eclark53520