• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My opinion about TLT fitting (kinda long)

Could you explain how you acheive such accuracy? Or what equipment you are using to find the angles with that much accuracy?

The clubtech at my local Golf Galaxy, who is VERY knowledgeable, also claims 1/4* lie accuracy. I actually determined my MP-30 angles to within .01, but he told me the closest he could get was .25. It worked out VERY nicely.

Could you explain how you acheive such accuracy? Or what equipment you are using to find the angles with that much accuracy?

I use a Maltby Professional Loft and Lie gage that has score marks in 1/2 degree increments, so simply splitting these increments allows a 1/4 of a degree of accuracy.

The greatest challenge is how to correctly set the club in the gage.
There are many who align by inserting 'business cards' looking to set the sole to dead center - assuming the lowest point on the sole is matched to the square clubface, This is not always the case.

The sole of the clubhead has zero to do with a square clubface. Take the example of a custom grind - the lowest point on the sole could be out as much as 3/4 of an inch - yet this club can still be setup and measured accurately and consistently thru the face.

The clubface must be aligned square using the squareing device on the gage - and by tuning the lie angle at the same time a correct and consistent setup can be determined.

I've done gage R & R studies and am confident that I can continually measure within the +/- 1/4 degree of lie.

I Certified 36 Professional Clubmakers at the 2008 Association of Professional Clubfitters (AGCP) in Georgia with my TLT Fitting System in November. Part of the Certification was on club gage setup and the need of accuracy.

The entire premise of TLT is accuracy - not only in the build, but in the resultant set of clubs for the customer. This is why I added 'Clubhead measurement' as part of the course.

Silver UX - the only way to measure to within .01 is with a co-ordinate measureing machine or a scanner, and even then your tolerances may eat that up.
No attribute fixture or gage has that capability
Sorry, but 1/100'th of a degree is not attainable

I know Dan- I came up with my angles using math. I was saying that the tech at GG told me that it was only possible to actually DO the work within 1/4.

I'm pretty sure the Mitchell Bending Machine is capable of 1/4* increments, if I'm not mistaken. Big bucks for that machine tho. Your average joe ain't gonna have that thing.

R35

I have been thinking about doing the tlt and i emailed a rep about it and gave him my info since there isnt a shop anywhere near saint louis, he didnt give me all the numbers till i pay the money for the sheet but he recommended i would start with my 5 iron at 38.5 inches long. This dont make sense to me since i already choke down it because it is to long and he wants to make it a half inch longer than it is now.

my wife did it for me with my golf shoes on like he told me to, it was 36.5 inches

I have been thinking about doing the tlt and i emailed a rep about it and gave him my info since there isnt a shop anywhere near saint louis, he didnt give me all the numbers till i pay the money for the sheet but he recommended i would start with my 5 iron at 38.5 inches long. This dont make sense to me since i already choke down it because it is to long and he wants to make it a half inch longer than it is now.

Keith, did I do this fitting for you as I do not recognize your handle?
If what has been given to you was by me I need to understand what went wrong and I will correct it. I would like it if you E-mail me (or PM) so I can review

Keith, did I do this fitting for you as I do not recognize your handle?
If what has been given to you was by me I need to understand what went wrong and I will correct it. I would like it if you E-mail me (or PM) so I can review

No it was not you, it was COnquest Custom Golf. I didnt pay for chart he just mentioned that my starting point would be my 5 iron and said it would be 38.5 inches long

Going back to your wrist to floor measuement, you (and others) need to realize that TLT is not a simple WTF Fitting System.
There are many factors that I consider when doing an On Line or Blind fitting. You can have 3 players with identical stature and WTF, but each of these players may play a different Series of TLT. You need to consider how you address the ball
1 - hands close to your body
2 - hands 8 - 10 inches away
3 - single axis player
Each of these players will be fit into a different Series. This is why it is important to test thru 'Fitting' clubs of different TLT Series. Just cause someone is 5' 8" with a 36 WTF does not mean they will be fit to a TLT Series 6.

No it was not you, it was COnquest Custom Golf. I didnt pay for chart he just mentioned that my starting point would be my 5 iron and said it would be 38.5 inches long

In the uk its almost impossible to find someone who will work to those lie angle tolerances

you want it 2 degrees flatter, no problem, they will get it flatter

as for 62.25 and they will laugh you out of the shop

the problem is i live in saint louis and the closest shop that does these fittings is over 4 hours away, that is to far for me to try this out. I was just looking to try it out on a spare set of irons i have but it almost sounds like i could have to try 2 or 3 different setups before i find the one that fits me and i am not going to change shafts that many times and regrip clubs.

Going back to your wrist to floor measuement, you (and others) need to realize that TLT is not a simple WTF Fitting System.
There are many factors that I consider when doing an On Line or Blind fitting. You can have 3 players with identical stature and WTF, but each of these players may play a different Series of TLT. You need to consider how you address the ball
1 - hands close to your body
2 - hands 8 - 10 inches away
3 - single axis player
Each of these players will be fit into a different Series. This is why it is important to test thru 'Fitting' clubs of different TLT Series. Just cause someone is 5' 8" with a 36 WTF does not mean they will be fit to a TLT Series 6.

Hey, how about we dig up an old topic. I've been convinced of the TLT concept and was actually fitted online by Lyle (although I didn"t get the clubs adjusted at that time). I have one question though. On the long irons (2,3,4) it seems that the lie is pretty flat. If any TLT guys on here can coment on that i would be much appreciatted.

Lyle fit me too at the time (when was that, 4 years ago? 5?).

Could not be happier with the results. I don't feel as tho my long irons are flat by any stretch, but I can tell you that hitting my 3 iron is like hitting a 6 iron. Huge confidence increase by decreasing length and adjusting it just so.

My next set of irons (when these are dead in the water) will be TLT fit, without a shadow of a doubt. Absolutely the best thing I ever did for my game was go this route. Increased iron distance, confidence (put my 3 iron and now a 2 iron into my bag) as a result. That lowers scores (cap went from about an 8.5 down to 2.8) and much of that is from better ball striking and higher GIR.

I don't have a spec sheet from my fitting, but I wish I did. I might have a code, but I'd have to search around for it.

R35

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423