• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need 3 wood help

Doc,

I went from a stiff shaft Maltby strong 3 iron to a new reg flex Cobra (last year's) somethingorother (see sig) 15.5º and it's been working. And they're cheap. Mine was $130 new. :)

I have a 15* hybrid if you want to go even lower lofted.

Save you money on hardware and go get a lesson. Technically, that's still "buying a game".

That 3W can be hit from the deck. I can hit my 13* like it's a 5 wood no issues. It ain't the arrow...

R35

I wouldn't quite go that far with mine but then again I belt a 5W like it's a 7i... except 70yds. further and higher. It's not the brand it's just the club. I never have had a 5W I didn't hit the piss out of.

I would recommend a 5W but that's just me. I can't hit a hybrid under about 20-21* worth a damn. I tried to hit an FT hybrid at the Callaway demo that was a 17 or 18*. I must have tried to hit 15 balls and not one was in the air past 150yds.. I hit a 2i loads better.

For a fairway wood I just find the bottom of my swing arc and rip it. The only thing that'll get me hitting it poorly is to move my head and fck up my spine angle or get OTT.

Doc, I feel your pain, you've seen me try to hit my 3W off the deck. 1 or 2 good shots out of 10.:mad:

I took a little off (it's 42.5 now), and have spent several range sessions, now about 1 in 2 and am doing much better. I hit it 3 times today on par 5's, a worm burner that went in the correct direction but didn't get over 2' off the ground around 180. A beautiful 220 yard shot that sailed majestically to the middle of the fairway, and an ugly slice/fade that just barely stayed in the fairway (about 180). I was able to be GIR on all 3.

Try shortening yours.

Doc, I feel your pain, you've seen me try to hit my 3W off the deck. 1 or 2 good shots out of 10.:mad:

I took a little off (it's 42.5 now), and have spent several range sessions, now about 1 in 2 and am doing much better. I hit it 3 times today on par 5's, a worm burner that went in the correct direction but didn't get over 2' off the ground around 180. A beautiful 220 yard shot that sailed majestically to the middle of the fairway, and an ugly slice/fade that just barely stayed in the fairway (about 180). I was able to be GIR on all 3.

Try shortening yours.

Or try laying up.
icon10.gif
I'm no slouch off the tee and barring some serious downhill 480 is about the max I go for. I hit hybrid-hybrid-LW on the 500yarder at my course. I attempt a 3W off the deck about once every 5 rounds, if that. Pick lies carefully as well. I won't even hit a 5W out of the rough and a 3W off the fairway better be a perfectly level or slightly uphill lie. Trying it off a sidehill or downhill lie I might as well just kick it 40yds.
up, at least it'd be straighter.

Not meaning this as any relation but my boss loves to take the cover off that 3W. He's never hit the GD thing off a tee that I've seen. I cringe when I see it come out because he will attempt it from the stupidist lies I've ever seen. Tiger could not get the head on the ball from these lies with a 3W, yet he tries it then throws a coniption fit when he tops it or whatever.

Or try laying up.
icon10.gif
I'm no slouch off the tee and barring some serious downhill 480 is about the max I go for.

I'm finding this too. 500 yards in 2 is a poke for me now. 260 driver and 240 3 wood is almost 2 perfect shots.

I used to be great with 3 wood off the turf, but its becoming tougher. I think I'm losing some swing speed. I just can't hit it as long as I used to, and I think its a swing fault or a trade for consistency. I vote for the lesson as well. That will help you in a lot of areas.

I took a semi lesson last evening. :) Friend who is a pro helped me at the range some. He says I'm just not releasing the club.

Of course he just killed it. :(

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422