• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some opinions on these...

Kenny

Reaction score
Hi all, basically to give you a rough overview of myself, I'm a beginner golfer who's looking to build a complete golf set and learn the game. (my budget is less than $200 if possible)

I'm also looking for over-sized and forgiving game improvement clubs.

I've browsed through many of the threads on this forum and you guys seem to be a very friendly bunch. (with the exception of the clones vs name brands thread :) ). Thanks to some of your advices, I roughly have an idea of what to look out for.

Could you all give me some advice on the following?

1) What drivers and fairway woods would you recommend? Are the modern hybrids really good?

2) Found this on ebay. What do you think of it? It looks like a pretty good deal. Would it be suitable for a beginner?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RAM-BY-TOMMY-ARMOUR-G-FORCE-COMPLETE-GOLF-SET-W-BAG_W0QQitemZ7194848163QQcategoryZ115280QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks!

(my budget is less than $200 if possible)

Good luck with that. For $200, you're not going to get much in the way of good clubs. Remember, a good driver will set you back $200 easy. I think if you do some research on this site, you will find that most of the guys here don't recommend any of the "beginner sets of clubs". You don't get much and you will most likely be looking for a better set of clubs within 6 months or so. Hard to get a decent set of irons for $200, let alone a full set of clubs for that price.

Hmm... I was under the impression that $200 should be fine for a beginner's set. I won't mind 2nd hand too. I reckoned a 2nd hand TA854 irons set would set me back less than $100?

By the way, are those TA G-force irons in the auction above of any good?

Kenny, try your best to find a good used set of quality clubs. Not long ago I was in a pawn shop (I love pawn shops!!) and spotted a set of King Cobra Oversized irons. These were (and still are) a very good club when they came out. The owner wanted $200 for everything including bag, a couple off brand woods and the irons...I told him I only wanted the irons and offered $65, WHICH HE TOOK!!

P_102

Don't be discouraged thinking if you don't spend over 200 on the irons and another 200 on a driver and another 150 on a 3 wood you won't have a set. Ebay is your friend...I recently bought a used set of Clevaland TA5's to replace my old dunlops, 123 bucks shipped. I bought a taylor made 9.5* 360 driver for 38 dollars shipped. I bought the irons mainly because I'm missing my 5,6 and 8 iron from my dunlops, but they are also nowhere near as forgiving as the clevelands. Check golfreview.com...lots of info.

I'd recommend 94,96 big bertha irons, titlest 822's, taylor made 360 series irons, cleveland ta5's or 7's...all can be found under 175 dollars if you spend a little time looking and could last you forever depending on how much you like them. I had my mind set on some TA5's and after about 2 weeks of looking on ebay daily I found a set with a buy it now price for 109 and pulled the trigger before the page finished loading. If you want new clubs, a set of Tommy Armour 845's (what the ta854 are clones of) can be had in the 150 and under range and are good clubs. Look for a driver with atleast 9 degrees of loft.

Hi thanks for the info.

Do you all know what's the difference between Tommy Armour 845s (silver back) and Tommy Armour 845HB (hybrid)?

Which would be more forgiving for beginners? :)

Also, would graphite shafts be better for beginners than steel? (I'm a regular flex)

Kenny said:
Hi thanks for the info.

Do you all know what's the difference between Tommy Armour 845s (silver back) and Tommy Armour 845HB (hybrid)?

Which would be more forgiving for beginners? :)

Also, would graphite shafts be better for beginners than steel? (I'm a regular flex)

Probably the 845hb would be the most forgiving of the two you listed as they come with hybrid 3 and 4 irons and more of a cavity back in the 5-9. Supposedly, the 845U's offer the most game improvement. I also hit R flex shafts; as far a graphite vs steel, I can't recommend either way*...the graphite irons may be a bit lighter (or longer to make up the the weight difference) and offer a bit more vibration dampening. I'd still try to find some used callaways,taylor mades etc...buy used Tommy Armours as well and you'll be able to get more of your money back easier if you decide you don't like them and you'll have more money to play golf.

*I've hit R flex graphite shafts in some 96 big bertha golds...the sweetest clubs I'd ever hit at the time, so forgiving on mis hits and long on the sweet hits. I think the graphite shafts made the clubs "feel" less in control and whippy to me, but I may have needed a stiffer flex...i'm a tightwad so I go with the lowest cost.

Kenny: are you talking about a "full set" or a set of irons for $200. Your post said "full set", and that's what I went by. If you're talking a set of irons for $200, that's a different story.
As for beginner sets for $200, irons and woods, like I posted before, most if not all of those "beginner sets" are pretty much cheap junk. You'd be better off buying a used set of decent irons and adding some good woods and driver later.
As for graphite shaft VS steel, I'd have to say go with steel. You're looking at the cheap end of the price range with this purchase, and at that end of the price range, the graphite shafts you would be getting would be really bottom end junk. The reason I say that is because if you look in any golf component catalog or on the web, you will find out that good quality graphite iron shafts sell for over $20 each. That means $160 just for the shafts in a standard set of 3-PW irons. What do you think you'd get in the way of shafts for the price you are looking at? Don't get me wrong, graphite shafts in your irons might be a good idea, but at the price point you're looking at, I don't think so.
Do some looking and you should be able to find a decent set of irons for $200. Most every golfer I know has an old set collecting dust somewhere in the house. My house included. Want to buy my old set? Really good clubs in real good shape.

Go to Ebay and you'll find great irons sets for $200, used, but great. I sold my used Mizuno Pro Forged set (3-PW) for $175..so

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520