• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need steel shaft advice

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Reaction score
I'm putting together my next set of clubs. It's for when I'm a "senior". :D

I'm thinking of deheading my beatup Apex II blades, having the heads refinished, and then reshafting them with some lightweight steel shafts in senior flex. I want the swingweight to be D0-D1, which is slightly less than it is now (D2).

Along the same lines, I have accumulated a Louisville Smart2 driver head, and a Louisville Smart2 3wood head, both in beautiful mahogany stained persimmon. I plan on getting a 5 wood as well. I want to shaft them in lightweight steel, senior flex, as well, if I can get similar performance to graphite. The driver head is 250cc and 200gm; the 3wood head is 175cc and 205gm. I want the swingweight to be D0-D1 and max length to be 43.5 inches.

Any suggestions for shafts that meet this criteria?

I would either go with a true temper tx 90 or a rifle.
The tx comes in a senior flex and weighs 90 grams
The rifle has more options but will be be a little heavier. You can get them in 2.0 and up so you could go with a 3.0 soft, 3.5 standard senior or a 4.0 for a stiff senior.

Thanks, OB. The TX-90 looks like the real deal.

Aren't the TX-90's discontinued? They have the for sale still, but I thought they were being replaced....

Out to lunch here?

R35

They are still listed on the Maltby website, but I haven't tried ordering them. I was going to get a local clubshop to order and install them.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/1970I

That's the page for the TX-90 iron shaft on Golfsmith. They had them really cheap and on their blowout page for something lik 6 bucks a shaft.

I was almost 100% certain that it was "get them while you can" time for them.

R35

Oh well, something similar then?

The Rifles look cool, although it might be sacrilege to put them in old blades like the Apex IIs.

I have not talked to the rep in a couple of months but I have not read anything on them discontinueing the tx 90.

Well then, there you go.

I have no basis from where I heard that, it just sticks in my brain for some reason.

They could be just out of them at GS for all I know...just seemed coincidental, is all...

R35

The TX-90's are in the 2006 GS Catalog. I think they stopped carrying the TX-90 Tours or they were discontinued. Regular TX-90's are the High Launch slower swing speed varient. TX-90 Tours kind of became redundent with the lighter weight DG SL's. Similar profiles and weights.

ualtim said:
The TX-90's are in the 2006 GS Catalog. I think they stopped carrying the TX-90 Tours or they were discontinued. Regular TX-90's are the High Launch slower swing speed varient. TX-90 Tours kind of became redundent with the lighter weight DG SL's. Similar profiles and weights.

Binog. The Tour version. I had the 05 GS catalogue out last night and was flipping through it, but couldn't figure out what the SL's replaced.

Thanks Tim.

R35

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35