• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Painful thumb - why?

Robbie G

Reaction score
Pathetic, I'm only 25 and I feel like an old man!

I hit 200 balls per week at my local driving range off the mat. My clubs are old and the grips are worn. My glove is cheap. I *think* my grip is ok!

The problem I have is that on my left thumb (I'm a right-handed golfer) I have a very painful sore spot on the bone on the plm side of the first knuckle, i.e. if you imagine you were giving a thumb print (as I'm sure some of you proably have had to!) the bone hurts right on the joint nearest the nail.

I really want to play on Saturday but I'm concerned that I might not be able to because of this problem. Therefore I need two questions answered please:

- what might be causing this and how can I avoid it?
- what is a good way to stop this kind of joint pain when playing golf?

Thanks for any tips.

You are gripping the club incorrectly.

The pad or "palm side" I think you are referring to should not be applying that much pressure to the grip. The left hand should primarily be gripped firmly with the last 3 fingers and moderatly with the thumb and forefinger.

Also the thumb should not be pointing straight down the shaft, rather a little bit on the strong side. I cannot tell from your post, if you are making this mistake, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Also, you might not be clearing your left side. If your swing is right hand/side dominant, and your left side stops moving through the swing, your right hand may be fighting your left hand when the clubhead releases, causing your right hand to roll over a resisting left hand, with the left thumb bearing the brunt of the torque. That'll screw up your left thumb even with a good grip.

You may be pushing with your left thumb at the bottom of your downswing and gripping stronger with your fingers to counter-act. I'm just guessing.

I had a simular problem when I started playing earlier this summer in my two left middle fingers. I figured it was just muscles that hadn't been used before needed to strengthen. It went from mild pain to not being able to grip a club so I had to take about 2 weeks off to let all the soreness subside. I had been gripping it in my fingers too much (almost entirely)...fixed my grip (overlap btw) and haven't had pain since, hardest part was taking a couple weeks off from golf.

I'm 25 as well, and I know what you feel...I was telling a guy about my hand hurting and he said to go to a doctor...I just kinda laughed. Not likely.

I figure Robbie G was simply talking about calouses on his fingers! Until they toughen up they are a bit of a pain ... and I thought that that was to be expected. I've got them on my right index finger [I'm a lefty btw], my right thumb (at the joint like he says) and the tip of my left thumb.

Is that okay? Cause I thought that just came with the territory!

Note: I've never had a golf lesson in my life so I don't really know if it is supposed to be like this ... al I know is that it really doesn't bother me much!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520