• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Play with your back-up set(s)

PhillyEagle

Reaction score
Anybody play at the same course often enough they'd be willing to play a round with their "best set", followed by their back-up clubs? I'd be interested to see what the scores were like comparing the two, three, four, etc different sets.

My set #1 I'll be trying:
Driver Cobra HS9
2, 3, 4 TM Rescue Dual
5-PW Mizuno MP 60
51*, 57*, 60* Cleveland 588*
Putter Odyssey 2 Ball
Ping Bag

Set #2:
Driver Titleist 905R
5W Cobra F Speed
3-PW Mizuno MX-17
52*, 56*, 60* Titleist Vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 2.5 (yes, it's my back up)
Cleveland Bag

Set #3:
Driver TaylorMade 540 (tough decision but I had to choose it)
3W Lynx
5W Lynx
3-PW Golfsmith Forged Blades (another tough decision)
52*, 56*, Lynx/Pure Spin
Putter TaylorMade Rossa Daytona I CGB
TaylorMade Bag (broken stand)

I haven't determined the other couple sets yet, but some notables that didn't make the rotation yet:
Tommy Armour 845 Irons
KZG 3W
Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II Putter
MacGregor Irons
Vokey Wedges (terrible shape kept them out of #3 set)
Junior golf bag, 3 cart bags (I may use the junior just so I don't have to carry to many cart bags lol)

Have enough to make at least 6 complete sets of clubs (all 14 included), trying to get at least the top 3 or 4 out of the way before summer's over at my local course where I have a membership. By the 5th or 6th set I'll begging to have forgiveness again :laugh:

Somewhere, my future wife would be seriously pissed off at me if I had all those golf clubs...:laugh:

Ho and stow,

Ive got backup iron, ie I can't bear to sell them. The Hogan Apex + blades will allow me to score the same as Hogan CFTs if my swing is on. Otherwise CFTs are 3-4 strokes better.

No way. Unless it's part of my rotation, I don't use any clubs I wouldn't see myself using in a tournament. I try and form intimate bonds with my clubs, not going and...hoing on them

I rotate in a 5 wood in and out with my 60 degree wedge, depending on how hard and fast the greens are. If they're soft and we've just had a drought-busting rain, I'll drop the 60 and use the 56 for lob shots, but if it's like it's been now, I keep the 60 in because nothing else will stay on the green, anyway.

The only changes in the pipeline are steel-shafted driver and 3 wood for winter play. I don't want the graphite shafts to shatter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520

3. 15,300