• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Playing with hard or soft balls

Tenn-Driver

Reaction score
I'm not insinuating that you should play with "the boys" either, but rather what type of golf balls you play with and why..? :laugh:

In my quest of trying to reduce my slice, beside reinventing my swing.. I've also been looking at the type of ball I have been using.

Since I pretty wiped out my supply in Fla, I've had to replace my supply.
I've been playing with Titleist MX distance, but I noticed that its more prone to fade or slice for me.

So I bought some Top Flite's that claim to help reduce side spin..Last time I played, it was great. couple fades here and there, but for the most part, most of my Tee offs were straight and true and I was driving further than the other two guys by 10 to 25 yards further every time.

Today I bought (Hot of the Press) D2 Straight
http://http://www.theworldofgolf.com/item.asp?page=7301

However in my search for a straight hitting ball, I noticed two other types, "Distance" and "SOFT".

Now can someone explain to me what the difference is between the normal shelled and the softer golf ball. What is so special about a soft golf ball

The softer golf ball provides more control coming into the green and for chip shots around the green, where harder balls reduce spin off the te for more accuray and slightly more distance.

Don't play a harder ball to get more distance,you won't,modern premium balls go just as far.However,do play them to reduce sidespin and because they are cheaper.

Or play one of the best balls out the there and get the best of both worlds,the Srixon AD333 (miles better than the rock hard NXT imho)

In my quest of trying to reduce my slice, beside reinventing my swing..
why not Pros do?

In my quest of trying to reduce my slice, beside reinventing my swing..
why not Pros do?

Uh, huh?

Can you clarify this a tad?;)

R35

Sure, Tiger has had major retooling within just the last two years and has The Fed Ex current leader Charles howell iii. Any other ref. need?

Don't play a harder ball to get more distance,you won't,modern premium balls go just as far.However,do play them to reduce sidespin and because they are cheaper.

Or play one of the best balls out the there and get the best of both worlds,the Srixon AD333 (miles better than the rock hard NXT imho)

I agree. I played a dozen of those, and the AD333 is a great ball. Cheap too.

I have to say though that I'm gravitating back to the Black Max. It seems to have less spin off the tee, yet compresses really nicely on iron shots. It just feels "right" to me.

Sure, Tiger has had major retooling within just the last two years and has The Fed Ex current leader Charles howell iii. Any other ref. need?

undrstndbl englsh pls...ref. not word. but and has any help me...

I agree with the AD333 as I have been playing them for about 4 years since they came out. They are excelent all around the course. And like stated before cheaper and softer than the NXTs.

I agree. I played a dozen of those, and the AD333 is a great ball. Cheap too.

I have to say though that I'm gravitating back to the Black Max. It seems to have less spin off the tee, yet compresses really nicely on iron shots. It just feels "right" to me.
The Black Max is a good 3-piece ball, you can get some good spin on shots around the greens with them. Once I get my swing back into shape and the weather warms up again, I'll probably buy a dozen which should last me the summer.

Until then, I've got some Pinnacle Exceptions (one of the nicer 2-piece balls, I think), some Noodles, and Nike Power Softs to play around with.

Since it's been cold, softer ball. Normally, the median, Tour ball. Nike One Black usually.

The only issue I have with the Blackmax is durability.I just shred the cover with full wedges,even 50 yards leave the skin on the grooves

undrstndbl englsh pls...ref. not word. but and has any help me...
Ref equals reference sorry didn't know this was a Abbr oops.. I mean abbreviations free site. :laugh:

The Bridgestone e6 is a good ball for reducing slices and hooks. Worth a try and should be reasonably priced.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520