• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

pull hook ?

turkey

Reaction score
Well I took some golf lessons helped out a ton. I was doing ok on my own I had developed a kind of falling back on my right foot swing that was producing a predictable towering 20 yard slice which was consistent . Then I took some lessons and after going back to square one (sucking) for awhile now I have what I feel is a mechanically sound swing my distance increased dramatically even the instructor was surprised . I went from a 120 yrd pw to a 150 yrd and so on.

Anyway with this new swing when I pick up the driver I get a pull hook about 25% of the time is there any one thing that causes a pull hook that I can changed I think I'm rolling my wrist over at or before contact( what I did to correct my old swing) would this cause a pull hook or might it be something different.

First question I would ask is if you are regularly going to the instructor. If you are revamping your swing under the supervision of an instructor, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to ask advice elsewhere. Will likely just get in the way of what he is trying to show you.

For example, a pull hook can be caused by exactly what you mention on keeping your weight on your back foot. So if he is giving tips for this, I would give them a chance.

lessons are over for now I'll run into him now and then at the range and he will give me tips but last time I saw him he told me that I pretty much knew what I should be doing swing wise and that I should have the skills to know what I'm doing wrong. If I pull an iron shot I know immediately that I hung back and came over the top if I chile dip one I dropped my shoulder but with the driver I don't know maybe the weight hanging back maybe the wrist I've never have done the pull hook until recently I started right and every round I would go a little bit closers to center now I've gone to far and can't come back

Well I took some golf lessons helped out a ton. I was doing ok on my own I had developed a kind of falling back on my right foot swing that was producing a predictable towering 20 yard slice which was consistent . Then I took some lessons and after going back to square one (sucking) for awhile now I have what I feel is a mechanically sound swing my distance increased dramatically even the instructor was surprised . I went from a 120 yrd pw to a 150 yrd and so on.

Anyway with this new swing when I pick up the driver I get a pull hook about 25% of the time is there any one thing that causes a pull hook that I can changed I think I'm rolling my wrist over at or before contact( what I did to correct my old swing) would this cause a pull hook or might it be something different.

I have the same problem with my driver right now. I'm pretty sure it's due to me rolling my wrists over too soon...but I'm not exactly sure how to fix it. I did see on this site the other day where someone recommended one of those impact bags. I've never used one, but I'm considering it. Maybe it will fix your hook?

Not sure if this would be of any help, possibly if you are hitting the ball off the toe. Didn't want to post it till I knew if you were still working with the instructor, because as mentioned, it is the same thing that he said that led to your slice. Just different clubface position. Good Luck!
Find where you are missing ball. If your Misses are off the toe, you’re hanging back on your right foot at impact and not rotating your body through the shot. Once your body stops, the clubface closes down and the result is either a pull or pull-hook. To remedy this, place a towel under both of your armpits and take a few practice swings without dropping the towel. Focus on moving the grip end of the club with your belly button. This will synchronize your arms and body and make those pulls disappear.

... as far as with the driver, I usually will hit high pull hooks if the ball is too forward in my stance. I tend to keep the ball back from the normal left heel position, and tee the ball a bit lower. Tends to give me less spin, probably at the cost of a few yards, but I just want consistency first and distance second with my driver, or any club for that matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520

3. 15,300