• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Push/Slice cure in the wrists

Nikonut

Reaction score
Has anyone here, found the cure to be in the wrists... ?

scenario I think may be happening:

inital grip OK, address ok, back and even downswing-body-legs-head relationship reasonable.

But the wrists, due to the effort of the swing and the weight of the club, become cocked back to the right.

opinions ?

If I could get some driver game, I feel I could get into the low 100's. Right now, I have too many drops and hazard shots, ie about 18 of them :)

I sooooo want to skip work and go right now, to the range!!!

Could be a matter of you not turning the wrists over or releasing properly. That is what caused mine and what I concentrate on if it starts to come back.

Could be a matter of you not turning the wrists over or releasing properly. That is what caused mine and what I concentrate on if it starts to come back.

Thanks. Yes, in a way, this is what I bet is happening, only worse, because I never get close to that action. I feel I do have a fair wrist cocking during the backswing, I can feel it and have worked on that in the past. but at Impact time...well....hehe

I have seen too many "funky" swings and addresses on the course, that get the ball in the fairway, to think that I have other major reasons.

it matters not how you get the club to the ball, so long as the cluibhead is square to the swing path the ball with go straight.

When i first started at the top of the backswing my wrists wereat the point that the back of my hand was almost perpendicular to my forearm. Which indicates a VERY OPEN clubface. Once i forced myself to keep my wrist from doing that, it helped immensely.

What i thought in my head was cocking my wrists was actually nothing of the sort. It took quite a while to figure that one out.

**** GOOD NEWS BRETHREN ****

Golf God of the Range (neorangus), momentarily appeased.
Went to the range at lunch.
Took a text book grip, esp right hand.
Took 10-Oclock Backswings, with wrist break, mentally focused on bringing the wrists back to address position.

****** Straight Ahead ****

yeehaw as we here say.

Surely I did hit some flubs, yes. But overall, I have seen the path to walk.

I took my new G10 , which to me represented a "mental problem" and my Adams draw Driver. While the Adams was a bit easier to hit straight, and also get a lucky begginners draw, just seeing the G10 go 180+ yards mostly straight, from an almost no back hip turn, 10 oclock swing was so mentally confidence building.
*never give up golf* lol.

thanks for the help!
signed Sweaty guy in cubicle.

Lessons..If you have the money spend some on a quality teacher..
Also think about an impact bag...this helped me get the feeling for my wrists at impact...When I went to the Guttenbergs they said I had super fast hands and that they were the only thing allowing me to hit the ball cleanly..hence my bad shots when my hands were not quite fast enough...then on other occasions they would be to fast and I would sorta snap them through the zone like pulling the fast ball down the left field line...created great power...but my nice draw would turn into a screaming duck hook..whenever start to fall back into that handsy swing I break out the impact bag...you can buy one for $40 or less or make one out of an old duffel bag, some old clothes, and duct tape...

hehe, I have had 7 lessons from 3 different pros.
Two of them were good, one not so much.

The real trick behind lessons:
Not forgetting them.
Dont let your mind and body get lazy and slip out of what they taught.
Not Forgetting them.
Dont take too many lessons in a short period of time.

I have had a 6-7 month haitus from golf since last year, so I forgot a lot.
not that I was any good then...
:)

If I don't get very weak with the right hand (more over the top) I slice. Can't make much change with left hand grip but this works. :)

Has anyone here, found the cure to be in the wrists... ?

scenario I think may be happening:

inital grip OK, address ok, back and even downswing-body-legs-head relationship reasonable.

But the wrists, due to the effort of the swing and the weight of the club, become cocked back to the right.

opinions ?

If I could get some driver game, I feel I could get into the low 100's. Right now, I have too many drops and hazard shots, ie about 18 of them :)

I sooooo want to skip work and go right now, to the range!!!

I have 2 theories of the swing...that I'll share right now anyway.
1. Is the wrist do matter but way too hard to control consciously, they rotate naturally through the swings arc and to hit the ball straight you have to limit any amounts of sway and lunging and develop a swing that gets the club square at that point of impact, usually achieved through set up.

2. It is theoretically hard to hit the ball straight. Depending on your ballspeeds you could be off line by 5yards ( 20yards according to other sources )for every degree of face angle out of square. I doubt I can hold a still club square to the target withing a few degrees. Know factor in set up, clubface, wrist set, feet hips, shoulders and path back to the ball FORE!!!:killersmiley:

I sooooo want to skip work and go right now, to the range!!![/QUOTE]

Yesterday "new" grip and attention to wrist break and position helped.
Got a fair number in the fairway, though sometimes just barely lol.
Using my Adams XTD offset driver.

Today though I took my Adams XTD Offset Driver in to the local club guy, he is going to pull the 55gram R flex shaft, and put in a UST V2 66grm(i think it is) Stiff flex, mid launch. :)

I will work my way back to the G10 or X460 at the range. Except today, I will hit the course with the G10, and a mostly less than full backswing.

Yesterday, my Starter-assigned partners included a retired fellow, from the Phillipines. he had just a magic touch on the lob/wedge. Poetry in motion. lob, drop, bounce/roll once. I am going to mimic his moves. if I can

295Yards, I totally agree. I was however just not having a good position with my right hand, and honestly letting my hands just "do whatever" rather than training them.

Yes, "straight" is kind of rare :) hitting MY fairway, now thats what I need, not hitting the NEXT Fairway over hehe

I see, certain things should fixed. I used to regrip while swinging, BADDD, but as long as you are not consciously working on rotation you'll do fine.
I started off with a good tip and it always stuck with me. It's how the wrists cock! I occasionally go back to it as a refresher, I'll cock my wrists up at set up and take the club back from there to do a "swing check-up" every once in awhile.
Keeps me from cocking the wrists the other way, BADDDD
Another factor I never mentioned is the affect shafts can have on clubface angle with these big headed drivers creating torque while loading.
FORE!!!:killersmiley:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422