• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rain Gear

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Reaction score
Since i'm going to end up spending less on my club changes than i thought, i will have some left over money, i think i should get a pretty good raingear set, i have a good long sleeve pullover thats waterproof/resistant/repellent,

whats the difference between water proof/resistant/repellent anyway???? just a way to mark their products higher?

anyway, our golf team gets to check out apparel and last year i tried a nike short sleeve rainshirt and loved it, but i want my own stuff,

plus i need some pants, i'm really wanting some that have zip off pant legs that convert to shorts b/c weather changes around here so quickly that one has to be ready for anything

does anyone know of any good products out here under this description that can be had for good prices????

thanks

I use FootJoy Dry Joys. Pricey stuff, but I used tournament and men's association winnings to pay for it anyway.

If anybody here has Dry Joys, you can attach the jacket to the pants so the jacket doesn't ride up on you after the swing. It's not designed for this (at least with my jacket/pant set), but there is a place on the inside of pants where you can snap the jacket to the pants on each side. It's probably because I bought the pants separately, but I thought I would mention this in case anyone has this problem with the jacket.

it is awesome stuff, but that is kinda out of my price range, but i think i found what i was looking for

edwinwatts.com has pants from this company "firethorn" that have the zip off leg for $50,

is there any real difference between a rainshirt and a windshirt???

windshirts aren't waterproof...at least most of them aren't...you just get wet

the other thing about the DryJoys is that they tend to be REALLY warm because they don't breathe well (in my limited experience)

I ended up getting a SunIce jacket that has served me well, although I'd like to get a convertible rain/wind shirt that I can zip the sleeves off and still have the "long t-shirt" kinda sleeves

Silver said:
I ended up getting a SunIce jacket that has served me well, although I'd like to get a convertible rain/wind shirt that I can zip the sleeves off and still have the "long t-shirt" kinda sleeves

My WH jacket does this, it is very convenient. Check out Dicks Sporting goods next time you get to Seattle.

Try Cabelas, they have several lines of rainwear. Most is for hunters/fishermen but some is very lightweight and would be great for golf. I've worn their "Guidewear" (too heavy for golf) for over 15 years and it's still in great shape.

P_102

Youngun5 said:
Since i'm going to end up spending less on my club changes than i thought, i will have some left over money, i think i should get a pretty good raingear set, i have a good long sleeve pullover thats waterproof/resistant/repellent,

whats the difference between water proof/resistant/repellent anyway???? just a way to mark their products higher?

anyway, our golf team gets to check out apparel and last year i tried a nike short sleeve rainshirt and loved it, but i want my own stuff,

plus i need some pants, i'm really wanting some that have zip off pant legs that convert to shorts b/c weather changes around here so quickly that one has to be ready for anything

does anyone know of any good products out here under this description that can be had for good prices????

thanks

I have short sleeve rain jacket made by SECOND SKIN. Not sure if these products are available in USA but you can buy them in Canada. I enquired about these rain jackets at a golf store one day and the salesman told me they were as good as Foot Joys and a hell of a lot cheaper. Mine cost $46 Cnd.

I have worn this jacket quite a few times in the rain and always been dry when I take it off. Friday I played 18 holes, 13 of those in a steady rain, and it rained hard for a few holes. The two guys I golfed with just had wind jackets on and they were soaked, I was dry as toast.

So you might want to see if you can purchase a Second Skin jacket in the states. Here is their website.

http://www.secondskin.ca/

Another trick you can do to make a wind shirt repel water for a few rounds is to spray it with Scotchguard and put it in a dryer. I talked to a rep of a company that made Goretex Jackets and she told me to do this twice a year to my Goretex jacket, and it worked. I have done this to normal windshirts and it lasts for awhile, but not as long as a good rain repellent jacket will.

Hope this helps

water proof: You will not get wet unless it is a hurricane.

resistant: You will start getting a little leakage in heavy rains.
repellent : Good for light rain.
Best is Zero restriction but you can get some great deals if you look around. I was just in Ohio a few weeks ago and they had a set of resistant rain wear for $39.95.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520

3. 15,300