• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

re gripping clubs

keithpbz

Reaction score
I am getting ready to re grip my clubs, i have done this a few times before and i was wondering if anyone has put extra wraps of tape under the grip to make them slightly larger, does it make them harder to install. I have large hands and use the tour wrap midsize grip but still want to the grip to be a little larger especially in the lower part of the grip where my right hand is, and also what is the max number of extra wraps that can be put on under the grip?

I have used wraps under grips in the past with zero problems. They are a tad bit harder to install as you have to stretch the grips out a bit, but no major hassels. If you want to just make the lower end of the grip larger, just add wraps in that area and not the butt end.

The most wraps I have heard of was 7, but the most I ever worked with is three. Once you go over three, you should probably move up to the next sized grip.

Hope this helps.

I've used as many as three extra wraps under my right (lower) hand without any problems. I finally settled on one extra wrap for the lower hand and am happy as a clam.

I've messed around with up to 4 wraps and it makes no difference whatsoever IMO. It's like 10 thousandanths of an inch.

I've heard of four wraps; it shouldn't be a problem.

Funny, I use the standard size, and pull them down as far as I can to make them thinner. I must have small hands, and you know what they say about guys with small hands!

, and you know what they say about guys with small hands!

They wear small gloves? :D

One good thing about using an air compressor to blow grips on is that the air expands the grips and it is a little easier to slide them over multiple wraps of tape.

I still have not figured out the right number of wraps of tape for those New Decade MultiCompound grips. I love them but they are just too darn skinny, even with 3 layers of tape.

I like thin grips, thinner the better. I hate fat grips

I tried one on a old shaft i had laying around to see how it worked, i used the flat tape to build it up with 7 layers on the lower hand and one full wrap all the way down the grip, it was a little tougher to get on than the first time i did them with only one layer of tape but it slid on rather easy, but it didnt build up the grip like i was hoping and i am just gonna buy some oversize grips to try them out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520