• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommend a driver for someone who only hits at the driving range

Mulligan and again

Reaction score
I hope you guys don't think this is too stupid or vain on my part. I'm 38, used to be a 7 handicap, but I don't have the time to play golf anymore, there's just too much going on in my life. I sold all my clubs 8 years ago. They were a Ping set from 1990, so that's the level of club 'technology' I'm familiar with. You go online now and look at clubs and there's a million different variables to consider.

Maybe in the future I'll have more time to play, but all I want to do at this point is go to the range once a week and hit a bucket or two of balls for some R&R. I know I'll only be hitting junky range balls and that there's no fairway to aim for, but I'd really like to have a nice loooooong (but forgiving) driver to hit with and would like some recommendations. I looked around on the Callaway site yesterday and was dumbfounded by the number of drivers they've made over the years. I remember when the Big Bertha came out and figured they'd refined it over the years, but there were almost 50 different drivers listed on their Classic Products page. Geez. It also looked like you could buy pre-owned clubs directly from their site. I'd definitely prefer to buy a used club.

If you guys could recommend some brands/models to look at I'd appreciate it, and also where I should and shouldn't look for a deal. I see there's a classifieds section here, and I know about Craigslist and eBay, but having been away from the game for so long I'm not familiar with any online club vendors or golf-related classifieds sites, so any info is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

The original Nike Sumo2 (square driver) came out in 2007 or 2008. It's a very forgiving driver & should be going cheap on the second hand market. Check out ebay.

Thanks, I'll see what I can find on it.

What about this "Launcher" I've just been reading about? I admit I know nothing about it and am just curious because of the name.

Probably the best deal going on a new driver is the Taylormade 2007 Burner. You can usually buy one new for $129 at Dicks. Its a great driver.

The original Nike Sumo2 (square driver) came out in 2007 or 2008. It's a very forgiving driver & should be going cheap on the second hand market. Check out ebay.

Or you can check the "Newer" version the Nike Dymo or Dymo2. Very long driver and shouldn't go over $100 new and a lot less than used.

The old Burner is a great idea as well but even the 09 version goes new for under $150 now.

If you want to spend a little bit more, Callaway will have an FT-IQ driver (around $199 new) which is as forgiving as it can get, but won't win a beauty contest.

The Launcher is a Cleveland driver. I used to find the last one pretty nice looking, but hate the look on the New DST . Not my cup of tea refearing to drivers.

Or the 2006 Launcher Ti, or Launcher Comp. Both very long, classic looking heads.

Or the 2006 Launcher Ti, or Launcher Comp. Both very long, classic looking heads.
The Launcher Comp probably won't hold up to numerous range ball sessions. The topline on most that I have seen have been cracked. Too bad because it was sweet!!

It would be hard to beat a PING G2 or G5 driver. I'd recommend a 10° loft to start.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys; I'll see what I can locate locally.

this may sound ridiculous, but I think the most important part of a driving range only club is the grip. It would definitely be worth the $10 or so bucks you could spend (at the high end) to go to a store and handle every type of grip they have and then upgrade whatever club you get to your favorite grip.
I'm personally digging the Lamkin NDur or whatever their new half white half black grip is called. Cord grips hold up well but can be rough on hands.

I'd probably go with a stiff shaft if you played to a 7 a while back.

Lastly, I'd recommend picking up a used demo 6 iron too. I was driving range only for a while and my iron game when to hell. I hit the driver pretty well, but my irons haven't returned. picking up 2 or 3 clubs instead of just 1 isn't a bad idea. (maybe an iron, a wedge, and a driver)

I'm sure you can pick up a cleveland launcher or titleist 905 for a decent price. The Taylormade 5 series isn't bad either. r5, 580, etc.
maybe something like this
Taylor Made R580 XD Driver 10.5 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35