• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Selling Scottys for the Barge

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Reaction score
OK, I've got this '83 Olds Convertible I want to restore & I'm going to sell some (all?) of my putters to pay for a restoration. It wants a 455, new interior, a little body work and a sound system. I realize that most of you guys will shake your heads & wonder why the HE*L I've got these in the first place, but I'll give anyone here a break.

1. Tour Pre-titliest Classic V - only one in existence I want $1,500 has certificate of authenticity elsewhere - $1400 here.
Classic V Tour

2. Tour SS NP beach - 35/330 COA included - $1,650 and I'm taking a major bath.
Newport Beach CT

3. Custom 3X black Newport with very rare shaft & black Mini-Crown headcover. One of the best looking OTR's I've ever seen. $425
Something Wicked!

4. Antique flamed AOP newport - never struck a ball since resto. BOS used this one as a test for a new finish. Awesome. $375
Antique Torched Newport

In fact, if anything on my web site blows your skirt up - PM me. It's a fire sale. I'll consider reasonable offers.
Scottys in the House

Here's the Olds in question - I've already replaced the top,
Large Barge
barge_w_maria.jpg

I can't see from the picture, but the 455, that's the model where you just push dinosaurs right into the gas tank, right?

Not a hope I would drive a car like that. Not today.

Sorry, off topic. Good luck with the sale. :D

R35

I can't see from the picture, but the 455, that's the model where you just push dinosaurs right into the gas tank, right?

Not a hope I would drive a car like that. Not today.

Sorry, off topic. Good luck with the sale. :D

R35

No, not dinosaurs, just $10 bills!:laugh:

...and the wicked black one's back on the wall while some nameless refugee scratches his a** for a while.:rolleyes:

Are you selling #4 with the headcover pictured as well?

You said '83 above, but isn't that a '73 Delta 88? A 455 in that would be an absoulte blast!!! Plus, you can fit Rock AND his hybrid toy car in the trunk beside your golf clubs and a dead body...

I had a '76 4 door as my 1st car, but traded it before I got my license. Had a 350 in it. Got a '71 Jeepster Commando to replace it.

Thanks '73 it is, Magic Fingers strikes again.

yes, Yes I am.

I'll get back to you on that one. I've got some hoing to do I think. :laugh: If things work out I may be interested in that one or the 3X black... Something Wicked... you know I've wanted that thing since the 1st time I laid eyes upon it.
icon10.gif

Where are you getting your 455?

Way back, my first car was a 1965 Pontiac LeMans. After I wore out the 326 that was in it, I got a 455 out of a wrecked TransAm Firebird, and dropped it it. The block was the exact same size, so I just had to make the throttle connections and gas lines fit, then have a custom exhaust system made.

This was 1972, I think. Sweet ride. Got 12 miles to the gallon. And it had so much torque that I didn't have to use 1st gear, ever.

Of course, the next year, the Israelis and the Arabs got into it again, and the next thing we knew, gas had tripled in price, if you could find some. Anybody else remember gas lines and NO GAS signs? I sold the car as I could not afford to feed it.

Thirty-something years later, the price has tripled again, and gas is available on every streetcorner. And rich bastards who own oil companies are even richer.

If it were me, I'd keep the Scottys and sell the car. :)

The 455 is standard on '73-'75 98's, and I've been told the drive train will bolt into my Barge.

I teach high school & several of my kids are "tuners" who really pump up their ricers - I'd like to teach them the true meaning of the word "torque". It'd be a blast to show them my 35 year old, 4000 lb. dinosaur tail lights.

The 455 is standard on '73-'75 98's, and I've been told the drive train will bolt into my Barge.

I teach high school & several of my kids are "tuners" who really pump up their ricers - I'd like to teach them the true meaning of the word "torque". It'd be a blast to show them my 35 year old, 4000 lb. dinosaur tail lights.

If performance is your aim, you might want to hold out for a pre-74 engine. The 455 was seriously emasculated beginning in 1974 to meet the more stringent emission requirements. You will more than likely have to rebuild whatever engine you choose from that era, anyway. It is just as easy to rebuild one that isn't hampered with the smogger heads and intake system.

I bought a new 1976 Trans Am that had the 455ci engine; and it was a real dog compared to the earlier versions. It had lots of torque on the low end; but ran out of steam very quickly. After 4000 rpm you could stick a fork in it; because it was done. It was only rated at 200 hp from the factory. I'm not very familiar with the Olds engines; but I would assume that all GM products were equally affected by emissions restrictions of the era.

I seriously doubt I'll really replace the 350 with a 455. Let's face it, I really can't see myself running a 4,000 lb, 20 foot long barge in street races. Thats not a performance car, it's a pu$$y wagon. Olds did offer a "W" option for Deltas, not many were built though.

The guy I was talking to said he could get 8,000 RPM's out of a 455, but it'd only do it once.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520