• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

shanking and flex

twofast2s

Reaction score
just to be sure, are there any possibilities that too soft of a flex (in irons) could cause shaking? or hitting closer to the heel?

I went from x-100 to BG stiff, and i'm occasionally shanking and lot of the ball marks are closer to the heel. my swing hasn't changed over couple of days.

but it could be me :D

You'd better bring the Nikes tomorrow.
icon10.gif

Not unless you switched down to senior flex or similar. What may have changed is your "feel"??

Not unless you switched down to senior flex or similar. What may have changed is your "feel"??

well i'm not exactly sure what the swingweight has been changed to, but w/ x100, it was at D5. it's same length, but the shaft is lighter and i haven't add any weight like i did w/ the x100.

we'll see tomorrow if it gets any better at the course.

Did you "spine" the new shafts? Seems to me that a stiffer shaft would naturally deflect less, thus tending the strike closer to the heel. You went softer, which should have increased deflection, and moved the strike towards the toe. Also, keep in mind that "adding weight" would have softened the flex of the X100's. 10g for 1/2 flex if I remember Lyle's teachings.

Disclaimer - I have no idea if the difference in deflection is more than a millimeter. I'm just thinking out loud.

Did you "spine" the new shafts? Seems to me that a stiffer shaft would naturally deflect less, thus tending the strike closer to the heel. You went softer, which should have increased deflection, and moved the strike towards the toe. Also, keep in mind that "adding weight" would have softened the flex of the X100's. 10g for 1/2 flex if I remember Lyle's teachings.

Disclaimer - I have no idea if the difference in deflection is more than a millimeter. I'm just thinking out loud.

i had less than 10g in my x100 (4 or 6g) and i did spine the new shaft.
i DEFINITELY feel more deflection coming through the ball, so i had to swing smoothly to strike the ball clean.
i went out to play today, which most of my shots were exceptionally better. i think mostly it's from not working out for about few days. but it could also be difference in swingweight and weight of the club itself (BG is lighter), and i'm getting use to it.

we'll see if this keeps up after few workout sessions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520