• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So anyways

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Reaction score
It's kind of strange, and I've been wondering just how much I should tell about this all, but anyhow, here goes.

I went to play Saturday, and when I got to the course, it wasn't busy at all due to the cold. I teed off by myself the first hole, and there was a guy in a cart just leaving the first green. I didn't play with any sort of haste, but gradually began catching up on the cartman, and eventually behind me I saw another solo golfer walking, and moving probably at a swifter pace then me.

By the fifth hole, when I reached my drive at the elbow of the dogleg, I got to hit my 9-iron into the green just as cartman teed off on the par-3 6th. It worked out that I had to wait for cartman a bit before hitting my own tee shot there, which I pulled badly left and the wind kicked it even harder that way. I ended up having to play out from the trees at the bottom of the hill, and when I got up with my ball still just off the green, I saw the guy behind me was up on the tee. I put my bag down behind the green, waved him on and waited behind a nearby tree.

We then joined up as a happenstance twosome. This of course cost me some time on the cartman, but we began catching him. As he left the green of the 8th hole, we reached our shots and played into the green. We could also see that cartman had to wait up on the 9th teebox because of a foursome in front of him.

So we catch him there, and we agree to form up a threesome.

He goes up to his ball which he had teed and hits the shot. Now the pin location was tucked in a fairly nasty spot on the front left, but his shot is looking pretty good but maybe short. It hits short and kicks forward. Very nicely, like going for that pin. And rolling, and rolling, and looking to me as if it just runs behind the flagstick, I'm still seeing the white dot I think behind the flagstick.

But we're all wondering if it went in. And I'm thinking no, but a few seconds later I look back down and now I can't see the white dot anymore. And I say I think it's gone in, that maybe the wind finished it off.

Yup, sure enough, we had caught the guy just in time to give him witnesses to his first hole-in-one. I was pretty happy to see it myself, I had never witnessed one live before.

But just don't ask me about what would happen after that. Just suffice it to say the guy had some temperment issues.

Don't be a tease....tell us what happened after that...

Nice!

I find depending on what course i am playing peoples attitude to joining into a larger group is really different, i think its to do with being embarrassed about being watched by other people? being a confident player i don't mind joining groups, in fact i look to do it, it helps the flow of play :)

I know what you mean at first i would only play with close freinds and then i moved to strangers when i got used to the lafin

But just don't ask me about what would happen after that. Just suffice it to say the guy had some temperment issues.

An ace and he doesn't have a good round? WTF? Did he want another one?

I have joined groups before and now we have several new members because of it.I remember asking a 2 ball on the first tee if they would like to join me as i had a four ball in front and the course was pretty full.
They seemed reluctant and asked me what handiacp i played off after i told them they agreed to join up.Turned out to be two pros i picked up some good tips and they were great guys one of the most enjoyable 18 holes i have ever played.

Well, anyways, as the hole-in-one guy, we go in at the turn and he buys the drinks. A hot chocolate for him, and a couple of diet colas for me and the other guy. Yeah, so we were boring like that. Anyhow, as we get the last soda served up, and we prepare to go out, a threesome that had been in the bar for some time and eating lunch it looked like, got up, just quickly enough to reach the 10th tee before us.

Okay, that's a bit annoying, unfortunately this threesome also turns out to be major hackers. One guy ends up about 75 yards in front of the tee off his teeshot, and another guy drives into the hazard.

So I'm annoyed some, but cartman, hole-in-one man well he's getting pretty riled. He's riled about getting cut off from the 10th tee, and he gets more so when it becomes apparent that this threesome was going to be slow.

Not good. Not good at all.

Cartman's language starts to become 25% f-bomb and derivatives thereof. On the 12th, Cartman and I are waiting out in the fairway while the threesome in front of us is putting out. The other guy had pulled his tee shot way right and had to play from in front of the 16th tee.

Cartman is getting ever more royally pissed, I'm just trying to stay loose. Cartman lets go of more f-bombs and at one point yells loud enough for the gruesome threesome to hear, "Let's go!"

Okay, gruesome threesome looks back. Amazingly, they then pull their pullcarts across the green. Yeah, I'm not too happy about that, but that's enough to make cartman absolutely livid, as if he weren't before.

Amazingly, the threesome in front proceeds to dawdle on the 13th tee, slow enough that we finish putting out and cartman jumps in his cart to catch them.

Very uncomfortable situation. I was worried that it was going to get ugly.

Somehow, it managed to work out that we played through, and moved along. But man, it was tense and uncomfortable.

I don't understand people sometimes.

DouginGA said:
I second that!!
Well there's the basic gist of it now up above you. It's really the first time ever I've seen such a combination of poor behavior from both sides, I guess, and that's why I got so, just, confused about everything.

I wanted to like everything, seeing a hole-in-one, see the guy be happy about his first one, you know? Instead I just felt horribly uncomfortable the rest of the way in.

In those situations, it is best to find some way to pass the time between shots because the angrier you become the worse you will play..and he was kind of an idiot because they had him outnumbered...

I would have been on Cloud Nine all day after an ace...

Maybe the guy got bent out of shape because he had to buy a couple of pops for two guys he never met before? $1.50 for a 16 oz bottle could set anybody off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520