• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So many irons???

Jsaw

Reaction score
I'm kind of just getting into golf, and I'm looking into buying some new irons. While I'm looking I see there are many kinds of irons, there are oversized, tour models, forged, blades, I'm just wondering what is the difference between all the different kind of irons and how do I know what is right for me.

P.S. I've been playing for about a year with some old taylor made clones and I'm around a 19 handicap

see my reply in the duplicate thread posted.

Jsaw said:
I'm kind of just getting into golf, and I'm looking into buying some new irons. While I'm looking I see there are many kinds of irons, there are oversized, tour models, forged, blades, I'm just wondering what is the difference between all the different kind of irons and how do I know what is right for me.

P.S. I've been playing for about a year with some old taylor made clones and I'm around a 19 handicap

You are doing very well at the one year point.

What irons do you have now?

Jsaw said:

Not being a smartass, but if you are asking this question, then you should stay away from blades and "player's clubs".

Well bdcrowe he dosen't know that thats why he asked whats the difference probably so He can get an idea of what fits his needs best. I to am interested in the answer...

Well bdcrowe, i'm not being a smartass, but like GunnerMan said if I knew that then I wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. The easiest way to learn something new is to ask. Also I'm not looking at any "player's clubs" so i don't know what you are talking about there.

And for Bravo, I've been using some Taylor Made Burner clones.

Jsaw:

What you have now are cast, cavity-backed clubs. There are two ways that clubs are manufactured, casting and forging.

There are two very broad categories of clubs - which get "blurrier" all the time - blades and cavity-backed.

As a generalization, cavity-backed clubs help you hit the ball straighter and are suitable for 95% of the golfing population.

I recommend cavity-backed clubs for you. I use them myself and have been playing for awhile. Don't be concerned over whether they are forged or cast. It will not make a difference.

Golf is an extremely difficult game and I am going to guess that 95% of golfers shoot above 75. A forged, blade is suitable for about 5% of the players out there that can shoot in the mid-to-low 70's.

What is your budget for new clubs?

Yes,cavity backed or perimeter weighted clubs that fall into the 'game improvement category' would be the best clubs to get.All the top manufacturers make them.The factor to look at is offset.This is the angle the face is set back against the shaft.If you have a minimal offset blade you have to make a pure strike to get the ball airborn woth no margin of error.Take a cavity backed club tthat has the face offset,its easier to get the club square and the ball airborn.

What cavity backed clubs do is move the weight around the face,this means the weight is at the bottom of the club and thus the ball gets airborn quicker.This is not good for a scratch golfer who hits the ball hard ina decending blow,the ball will balloon up and go nowhere,hence why some manufacturers will describe their blades as being suitable for 'better players who want a penetrating ball flight'.Perimiter weight helps off centre shots.With a blade the weight is in the middle of the face to help the better player get more feel in his/her shot,hit a blade off centre and the club will wobble and you will lose distance.Perimeter weighted clubs will help the lower handicap golfer get distance from off centre strikes.

Off your handicap you want cavity backed clubs.The shaft will more than likely be standard unless you surprisingly have a high swing speed.Swing speed is related to proper hand body coordination and at 18 handicap you are unlikely to possess this.Stiff shafts in irons shold really only be used for golfers in single figs.

If you are very tall or a very short you may also want to have the lie and loft custome made.Lie is the angle of the face to the shaft to allow for very upright or very flat swing planes.Loft is clearly the angle the ball will fly 'upwards' off the face.There isn't much difference tbh but some clubs can differ a degree or two in the mid irons in particular,bur again this really is only releveant to a low handicapper.

I'm 5'8" and se standard loft/lie no problem.I hope all this helps.

Jsaw said:
Well bdcrowe, i'm not being a smartass, but like GunnerMan said if I knew that then I wouldn't be asking the question in the first place. The easiest way to learn something new is to ask. Also I'm not looking at any "player's clubs" so i don't know what you are talking about there.

And for Bravo, I've been using some Taylor Made Burner clones.

Jsaw,

I think Crowe was eluding that HE wasn't being an ass, by overstating the obvious.

The fact that you've asked such a vague question means that you definitely aren't up on the equipment these days. No problem.

Crowe mentioned "players clubs". He meant your mentin of "forged" and "blade" clubs. Both are tough clubs to hit. And you having a 19 handicap would make it difficult to hit a set of forged blades. I play to about a 4 handicap, and I have trouble hitting the blades from time to time. Well, alot of the time actually!

You're probably going to be looking for a "game improvement iron". Something with a wide sole, thicker topline and larger, forgiving face. Blades are not such beasts. They are quite the opposite and very opposing to stand over. Something like a Big Bertha iron or a RAC OS would fit you quite nicely.

Ultimately, your best bet is to go out and hit everything you can. And then buy what you feel is best for your game in terms of looks, feel and comfort. Budget can weigh in too, so pick something that fits the wallet, of course.

I think you and Gunner just had Crowe's comment skewed, he was offering sound advice. Stay away from blades and even "real forged" irons (Ha!...that was for Young Gun!) for now and stick with a game improver. Nike Slingshots, Berthas, Rac OS's, Cobra's, the new Wilson Staff irons, ect.

Let us now how your search goes. Check out your nearest clubfitter too if you can and get spec'd up. He'll be able to tell you shaft, grip size, swingspeed and club recommendations. Worth it's weight in gold.

Cheers!

R35

Thanks everybody for all the advice, I would love to visit a clubfitter but we don't have one around where I live, but I'm 6 foot tall and around 215lbs, and i'm looking at up to $500 for my irons. What do you'll think about the Rac HT's or the Nike CPR2's they seem like good clubs for a good price, plus I like the hybrids that come with the Nike's

Hey man, IM a new member to shot talk but i do have some good advice for you. Now I saw u put your current weight and everything.I would probably recomend standard mens shafts. If you go down to a good golf store and look at the used clubs you can find a really good deal and they are good clubs.
Email back

Jsaw (&GunnerMan). I took the time to give you honest (needless to say, GOOD) advice. If I had wanted to mess with you, or be a prick, I would have done one of two things-- tell you to see one of the dozen other threads on the board where this exact question has been covered ad nausium, or (if I really wanted to screw you up) tell you which irons to buy. How can you expect people on the internet-- who have never seen your swing, who have not seen your build, and who have absolutely no stake in seeing you improve-- to answer what kind of irons would be best for you? And further, you would trust your cash to the opinions of internet folks with absolutely no claim to expertise?

I took the time to offer what I felt was the only smart advice to give you. I will remember not to make that mistake again. Good day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520