• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So you need a little consolation...

Kumabjorn

Reaction score
Played in our league yesterday. Four gross score among 6 players frpm 6 different Clubs. Not a good ball striking day, but I fought valiantly (at least I thought so) and had managed to hold on to an acceptable score by the skin of my teeth. The last hole is a long par five, OoB along the left side, water on the right and very much up and down. Tee shot is through a shute with trees on both sides.

I let loose a hard drive but hit it towards the toe, ball catches a tree next to the forward tees and falls straight down. Ball is next to the tree but luckily it lies on top of a mole heap. Nice, free drop, I can get away from the tree. Find a place and drops the ball. To my surprise it goes deep down with dried out leaves flying around. Remove all the leaves to get a gander on the ball, to my dismay I find that lies at rest next to a cut off tree stump. WTF? Ok, take an unplayable, find a new spot and drop it again. This time it says "schwoop" when it hits the ground, some sort of wet sand so the ball is plugged, halfway buried.
Out comes the PW and all I can do is dislodge the ball 15 feet. Find it and decide to just move it forward towards the semi-rough, unfortunately the ball is covered in so much mudd that it spins out of control to the left and OoB. New penalty shot and drop a new ball. This time I get it to the semi-rough. Find it and pich up a 3I, hits a real nice shot, but I hadn't really thought it through, the ball catches the front of a fairway bunker, the front is shaped like a velodrome so the ball takes a huge bounce to the left and OoB. In the end I had to put a 12 on the score card. My playing partners were chuckling all the way to the green, I prefer to interpret it as a "sympathy snicker" in reality it was probably "now we got the bastards".

I must have really pissed off someone upstairs.

Double digits! Always a crowd pleaser! :wow:

My league has a triple bogey maximum score on any hole rule. It does speed up play, but I would love to see what some of the scores would be without it.

My league has a triple bogey maximum score on any hole rule. It does speed up play, but I would love to see what some of the scores would be without it.

I always kept a seperate score card for my personal record Doc. But I was always trying to earn my 7 or 8 instead of just take it, lol.

Triple bogey maximum?? Don't all leagues use ESC? I've never played in one that doesnt.

our group uses the double par rule. i've had an 8 on a par 4,but rare nowadays. 10, not in two years.

Triple bogey maximum?? Don't all leagues use ESC? I've never played in one that doesnt.

It's an eGolf rule. I don't agree with it, but since our rounds usually take 5.5 hours anyway, without the triple bogey rule I'd probably die on the course of old age.

Do those scores (ones over your ESC) factor into your handicap as well? Doesnt seem right to me at all, especially in a league format where "pops" are given.

I don't approve of any score fudging in scored rounds like league play. To form a handicap I understand the premise, but once you're actually playing for a score, there should never be a stroke limit.

To the OP-- that sounds like an unreal series of outlandish improbabilities. Don't let it get to you. I put up a 12 the other day because I hit into this nasty fescue that I could NOT hit out of to save my life. It took my 7 shots to advance the ball 40 yards.

I don't approve of any score fudging in scored rounds like league play. To form a handicap I understand the premise, but once you're actually playing for a score, there should never be a stroke limit.

To the OP-- that sounds like an unreal series of outlandish improbabilities. Don't let it get to you. I put up a 12 the other day because I hit into this nasty fescue that I could NOT hit out of to save my life. It took my 7 shots to advance the ball 40 yards.

I took a 10 the other day for two reasons.... poor second and third shots followed by torrible decision making. The 3'rd left me to chip out laterally, but no... Bob can get his SW up over the corner of this OB fence from the shittiest lie ever. Sooo... drop 5 and chip out laterally like I should have in the first place. Hit 7 off the green so I can chip and two putt. I was ecstatic. I would've kicked myself in the junk if I could've.

I guess the leagues I've played in are a different format. Team match play (best ball). Usually, if you are shooting a triple bogey (or worse), you're out of the hole, and it's just a common courtesy to pick up your ball and let your partner, and your opponents finish out the hole. Then write your ESC on the card. If nothing else, for pace of play reasons. This also prevents the unscrupulous player from artificially raising their handicap in order to get more "pops" in future league play.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520