• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Something wrong with my RAC TP??

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Reaction score
alright, so i had 2 56* Taylormade rac black tp wedges.. i had only hit the one that was pretty beat up... i decided to sell that one, and keep the one that looked basically brand new..

bad choice... i havent hit the basically brand new one anywhere near as well as the beat up one... i was trying to think of reasons why i wasnt hitting it as well.. i mean, the thing isnt forgiving at all.. i can hit my TM rac satin 60* farther than it on every swing...

and then i noticed... the shaft on the one i have now doesnt have a shaft label... the other one had a special TM TP sticker saying like TT wedge flex... so i have no idea what shaft it has in it...

But not only that.. after closer examination, i was like WTF!!... this shaft doesnt have any steps in it.. the ridges or w/e they are called... im pretty sure they are called steps...

so is this bad?? i remember reading somewhere that the only shaft to not have steps were the more expensive ones.. like the project X..

what should i do?? im starting to think the shaft is a fake/knockoff.. hopefully not the head also!!

pics- help me!!

edit1- very blurry, sorry... i had to remove 2 of them, b/c they were soo blurry...

edit2- the shaft pic is fine.. but the head pic's were really bad.. and if you think the one that is still up is bad, you done even wanna see the other 2 that i took... my dad's camera skills(he works high up in discovery channel) did not get passed on to me.. along with his ice skating skills:))
RAC TP001.jpg
RAC TP004.jpg

the head pic is terrible, but you can read the golfsmith instructions for regripping that are lying on the ping pong table 3 ft below... :) doh!!

give us a GOOD pic of the grooves. tm ycutters are distinct so we cud probably tell if the head is legit or not.
i say sell it, and the 52* and pick up a satin 54* and youd be set for wedges. racs are great, i played them for a year and loved em, but they didnt have the right lofts and bounces for me

I'd say you have a rifle shaft in that thing. Since you can't hit it, maybe a 6.0 or 6.5

give us a GOOD pic of the grooves. tm ycutters are distinct so we cud probably tell if the head is legit or not.
i say sell it, and the 52* and pick up a satin 54* and youd be set for wedges. racs are great, i played them for a year and loved em, but they didnt have the right lofts and bounces for me

alright.. gimme a few minutes... but i cant promise anything about pic quality... TBH i suck at taking good pics... :hunter:

ive honestly thought about that... but i use both clubs regularly.. well i would if i was actually hitting the TP well..

the problem is... i am not able to access my paypal account in order to buy a new 54* off ebay... for some reason, the bank account i added to it got removed, and now it keeps getting denied when i try to add it again.. :(

also, i dont need any more room in the bag... i have no new lofts i need to cover/add, so it doesnt make much sense to drop from 3 to 2 wedges...

alright heres the pics.. but one other thought... could it possibly be the grips?? i mean, every other club of mine has a GP decade, but this has a GP TV... prolly dumb question... but the grip is something i could fix right now, so it had to be asked...

and i dunno about the quality... from what i could see in the digital cameras view, they were pretty bad... :(

edit- wow, the first one turned out great!! well better than expected.. :) the last one is prolly the worst pic ever taken on earth.. no joke, im totally serious... i actually aimed for the center of the face, and got the last edge of the toe of the club, plus its blurry as anything.. im taking it down..
RAC TP005.jpg
RAC TP006.jpg

The wedge looks fine, you just have a rifle shaft in there instead of a DG

The wedge looks fine, you just have a rifle shaft in there instead of a DG

so i guess i need to have the shaft replaced...

anybody have a wedge flex TT for sale?? :)

and if that new shaft wont work, then the whole club is going on ebay/ on here... because then it has to be the head that i cant hit...

but why would it be the head?? i hit the other head i had with a TT wedge flex amazing... i already know that combo works for me.. :)

look at golfsmith or a store of the sorts for a wedge flex shaft, it should be inexpensive

It could be a rifle spinner shaft. they are not meant for full shots as they have a tendency to balloon, mostly for short shots, that could be your loss of distance.

I recently picked up a pre-owned 54* Vokey SM that was in absolutely perfect condition and didn't look like it had ever been hit. I took it down the range and even though it felt good it was very noticeable that it pretty much hit the same distance as my 58* RAC, but with a much lower trajectory. It was going OK but it was bugging me so much the next time on the range I took my 56* Vokey with me too, and found that it hit the ball a good 10 yards further than the 54* and on a much higher trajectory.

It was only when I went to the practice bunker and looked back at the three wedges I had rested against the back wall that I realised that not only did the 54* have an aftermarket stepless shaft, but had been cut 1 1/2" shorter than 56*! No wonder I was struggling for distance with it - especially when choking down on it!

I actually quite liked the shaft - which I assumed was a Rifle Spinner - for feel, but it was noticeable that it had a much lower trajectory than the TTs in the Vokeys and really didn't help much on full shots. For some reason it was great in the bunkers though, which I can't quite get my head around.

It seems obvious,but may not be,but my take on it;

Most players need a wedge flex because you don'y load a wedge as much as a full iron so as Lyle once explained to me they tip the wedge a bit softer.It sounds liek your new wedge has a full on stiff flex shaft and it hasn't been correctly tipped.It was possibly made for a pro who just wanted it for full shots and never intended to use it for shorter pitches

well not only do i see the distance loss, but i can really feel a difference as the bal hits the face.

it just feels like absolutely no forgiveness... and this is on every shot i hit with it.. just a horrible feeling to it...

and its definately not my swing, because after hitting the 56* only 60 yds and that horrible feeling, i pulled out my 60* rac satin and was hitting that thing 75-85 yds easy.. and on this one it really felt like i was hitting it smack in the center of the face...

As i said,the stiffer tip will make all the difference off the face

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423