• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Successful Experiment

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Reaction score
I was thinking, when we have a problem with drivers or have a tight hole, we reach for a 3 wood. The problem is new 3 woods tend to have a shallow face, sorta tough on a tee and they tend to get the ball pretty high sorta balloons.

What if I had a deep face 3 wood at about 11 degrees, would that be good to drive with? Well as it turns out I had a 11 degree Callaway Big Bertha in the garage. I cut off the shaft to 43" & bada-bing, control driver.

I hit it during todays round, most solid controlled drives I ever hit. I had to figure out a few things & then 5 of the best drives I ever hit in my life. Short tee height, about 1/2" to 3/4" off the grass, slightly inside left heel, gives a mid trajectory, dead center, 230-240.

On the downside, 190 cc, you don't have a big sweet spot, mishits are punished. I wish it had a warbird soleplate, it would be good off the deck.

If I were to go find a 12degree warbird in a bargain bin or garage sale & put something like a Grafalloy Pro-Light in it, would that be club ho'ing, or would that be a scientific experiment?

Edit: Just went to E-Bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47330&item=7163908934&rd=1 ends in an hour & a half...hmmmm?

ever try choking up on your driver and shortening your swing? maybe tee the ball just a tad lower, whenever i need one in the fairway i turn to that, along with just slowing down my tempo just a tad

I checked around & I'm an idiot. Lots of people are doing this. That's why there's still a healthy demand for these 20 year old drivers. I understand that a couple of years ago you couldn't give those high lofted warbirds away. I checked 975D's, there's not as many high lofted ones for sale, but they tend to carry a higher price.

Guess I'll have to keep looking for my "original idea".

I just did the same thing with an SMT Babylon 11 degree (which is supposed to launch like it is about 11.7 degrees according to the manufacturer). I replaced the graphite shaft that wasn't really working that great for me and installed the same lightweight steel shaft (True Temper Crossfire) I use on my fairway woods @ 44" and, voila, I have a really great control driver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520

3. 15,300