• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Swing harder

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately I've gone through a swing change that increased my angle coming into my irons. I read an article one time about how pros swing no more than 80%. I started to do so as well and lost a significant amount of performance out of my irons. I decided this week to throw that new little gem of knowledge out the window and go back to putting a little muscle back into my swing (I say little because that's about all I can put in). My ball flight is much better and I'm hitting more accurately again. Maybe 80% for the pros is still harder than my 95%. Has anyone else had similar results? If so, which is better?

bames said:
Maybe 80% for the pros is still harder than my 95%.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Why try to cream a PW 145yds when a smooth full nine will do it too, and with a lot less risk.

when my game is on im swinging prob about 85% to 90%.when i try to muscle up on irons i tend to pull them left because i turn more around my body than i would with a more relaxed swing.

When I ramp up my swing with the hybrid irons I have and even try to come close to how fast I swing the driver, its $h@nk city. I have to swing at about 80% or I will never find the balls I hit with my 3 and 4 irons they will be so deep in woods I will need an Indian guide to find my way out.

I suppose 100% is a relative number. As you start getting a more reliable repeatable swing you'll probably find you are swinging easier and hitting it further. Same course I played when I started I now take 1 club less on the par 3's and swing a whole lot easier and smoother. Back then I was just all elbows, knees and hips flying all over the place. I'd slice an 8iron 30yds. offline, now I'm pissed if I'm 10ft. from my intended line.

I just refuse to believe that Mr Woods swings at anything less than 99.9% off the tee, he scares the ball 300 yards just with his stare!

The fundamental difference between a good golfer and a mediocre one is the amount of control they have over the intensity of their swing. The pros swing much faster than I do (and put more energy into impact) because they have a very firm grasp of how to accelerate the clubhead while controlling it's position in three-dimensional space. Any golfer who has truly been "in the zone" hitting pure shots knows that it's not about how hard you swing, it's about how you swing hard.

Eracer said:
Any golfer ..... knows that it's not about how hard you swing, it's about how you swing hard.

How long have you been saving that little gem up for, just waiting for the right time to slip it into a thread and sit back in your chair with a smug grin thinking how clever you are?
icon12.gif

Better results might come from better physical conditioning! I had done weight training the past couple of years prior to golf season and then completely slacked off as I concentrated on golf.

This year, however, I have been working out every second day without fail and have not relented during this golf season. I can honestly say that my distance and accuracy has increased dramatically!

Not only that ... my "guns" are looking pretty good too!!:D

Canadriver said:
Better results might come from better physical conditioning! I had done weight training the past couple of years prior to golf season and then completely slacked off as I concentrated on golf.

This year, however, I have been working out every second day without fail and have not relented during this golf season. I can honestly say that my distance and accuracy has increased dramatically!

Not only that ... my "guns" are looking pretty good too!!:D

So that's where you've been?? :) My swing is obviously about 100times better now but I've dropped a good 25lbs. since I first started playing. All my distances have gotten longer except for the driver. I lost about 10yds. on it. I think I've lost some raw strength but increased flexibility as well as much greater swing/ballstriking efficiency have more than made up for it. I plan on doing squats at the gym all winter, I need some more arse behind that driver. lol.

ezra76 said:
So that's where you've been?? :) My swing is obviously about 100times better now but I've dropped a good 25lbs. since I first started playing. All my distances have gotten longer except for the driver. I lost about 10yds. on it. I think I've lost some raw strength but increased flexibility as well as much greater swing/ballstriking efficiency have more than made up for it. I plan on doing squats at the gym all winter, I need some more arse behind that driver. lol.

Ezra ... that's funny to me!! You're trying to lose weight and I'm trying to add it!!!!

At 5'9" and approx 155-160 lbs, I need more bulk behind my swing! BUT I don't want "more arse"!!! Definitely! Mine's cute enough as it is!!!:biglol:

I thought I'd add a recent candid shot of me working out!!:D
Me-3.jpg

EnglishGolfer said:
How long have you been saving that little gem up for, just waiting for the right time to slip it into a thread and sit back in your chair with a smug grin thinking how clever you are?
icon12.gif

I carry a smug grin with me at all times, just waiting for the perfect time to spring it on people who could care less...

Admit it - that WAS pretty good.

I had a double by pass operation 5 weeks ago this past Tuesday (on May 23) Today I played my first 9 holes of golf.
Now, I was swinging very easy with all the clubs. The only shot I took a harder swing on was on a 134 yard par 3, I hit an 8 iron dead pin high, normally I would hit a wedge with the conditions as they were today.
Now considering I have not played for 6 weeks, (heart attack on Mothers Day, they locked me in the hospital :) ) I did ok. I was +6. However I made 5 solid pars. One double boogie came from me trying to ease a 6 iron out of the rough from 125 to a par 5. Splosh in the pond. I should have hit the 8 iron. I was carrying a driver, 4 wood, newly bought Nickent 20* hybrid, 6,8,PW, 52* & putter. So if I had been smart and played the 8 I would have been ok. The other double came from a poor fairway wood shot.
Now I was only driving the ball between 200-225 at the most. I was hitting the Nickent from where I would normally hit a 6 iron (which lead to two very solid pars on a 4&3 par)
So the point is, I could have been at my normal health and strength and been swinging hard, and still not scored any better. Tomorrow I am going back out to play another 9, I have added the 7&9 iron to the bag. So I will see how I do. I could likely swing full out, however if you have ever had your ribcage cut open then wired back together you might be a little leery like I am at swinging full out after only 5 weeks of healing!
Good solid contact, with whatever club you are using is far more important than gripping it and ripping it. Pro's do not swing at 100%, we should not do it either.

If any of you would like to learn to swing like the pros, get Tour Tempo and get to it.

They may not be swinging a "true 100%" as that would most often be totally uncontrollable. I can guarantee they all swing, with full swings, at 100% of controllable speed.

(Numbers below refer to frames per second of American video. About 30 frames per second. So a frame is .033 seconds. 8 frames is .264 seconds, or just over a quarter second. A full pro swing at 24/8 takes 1.056 seconds and 21/7, .924 seconds)

When Tour Tempo was written, a vast majority of pros swung at 24/8. Since the research and the writing, more and more pros are going to 21/7. I imagine there will be plenty of young punks coming up with 18/6 swings. I know Michelle Wie is trying 18/6. 6 frames is a REALLY short amount of time to get the clubface to the ball with as long as these flexible folks' backswings are.

Nike would have you believe that Tiger has added a "Ton" of yardage with the new ball, the graphite, the SQ etc. etc. All of that is well and good, but under Haney, Tiger has gone to 21/7, whereas under Butch he was 24/8. With the same shoulder turn, of course Tiger is going to be a little longer.

Read Tour Tempo. Work with the CD/MP3's and never worry about whether your tempo is "correct" or not again. You'll never have to worry about how hard you are swinging ever again. You will realize that how "hard" you are swinging is taken care of by following your 3:1 ratio (27/9, 24/8, 21/7) If you want more distance you can either take a bigger backswing, bringing the club to the ball in the same amount of time, or do your current rotation quicker. i.e. change from 27/9 to 21/7.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54
Back