• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

THE Kentucky trip

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did it. Got there Saturday noon after driving almost 8 hours and didn't plan on playing (was supposed to rain). It was 80 and beautiful so we played 18. Sunday we played another 18 on a beautiful 84 degree day and then a nine on a different course in the late afternoon. This morning we played 18 before leaving so in 2 actual days (1/2 day + 1 day + 1/2 day) we played 63 holes of golf. We are happy and exhausted. Got back tonight and guess what. It's 80 degrees and sunny in Wisconsin. Well, you know if we wouldn't have gone on this trip it would have be 40 so no problem. The Kentucy Dam Park course and the Mineral Mounds course used Bermuda grass for the fairways and if it hasn't been warm for a number of days it's dormant. It's also really nasty to hit off of and cost us a few strokes. We both started off pretty rusty but still ended up high 40's (per nine) for the 1st 18. The second day was better. sssmokin beat me both days. Today I "sssmoked" sssmokin and even got a 39 on the front 9. Don't ask about the back. I fought the driver all weekend. I'm doing something extremely nasty and will be spending some time at the range and maybe getting a lesson if I can't fix it myself. But how can you complain when you get 2 18-hole rounds of golf, a $20 gift certificate at their gift shop (reasonable prices!), two days in your own cabin with kitchen and two huge breakfasts and two huge evening meals all for $180 a golfer. What a deal. Even the two rounds we played outside of the package were under $20 a round with a cart (each). Here's some pics. Note the Bermuda grass fairways. They were starting to turn green today. :)
DSCF0001.jpg
DSCF0002.jpg
DSCF0003.jpg
DSCF0004.jpg

More pics... ALSO... I put a review up on all the new clubs, balls and junk I've bought over the winter. Not highly detailed but a "Dave" kind of review... :laugh:
DSCF0006.jpg
DSCF0007.jpg
DSCF0008.jpg
DSCF0009.jpg

I fought the driver all weekend. I'm doing something extremely nasty and will be spending some time at the range and maybe getting a lesson if I can't fix it myself.

Nah, its gotta be the driver. Time to Ho a new one. :D

Glad you had a good time. I know what you mean about dormant fairways. For me, it's thin it or fat it time.

I mistakenly called them "bent" grass in my original post but "corrected" it to Bermuda grass. I hope sssmokin adds some to this thread. I've probably left out everything important.... He can tell you about "Mineral Mound" golf course. Now that was a challenge!! :D

Nice, were the fairways hard? here in TX they have been pretty hard most of the year but they are finally moistening up a little and even turning green again.

It was a great time. The only thing they need to supply is BEER. It's a dry area, so when what-you-bring runs out, you're done for. Warbirdlover has found a putter............he was unconscious with that thing. Notice in the one pic that he was hitting my experimental Limey SQ. I didn't get the right graman shaft for me, so wasn't happy with the way it performed. Time for a different shaft. I was doing okay with my original SQ though. We ate like hogs. WBL's snoring rattled the windows at night.:laugh:

demon posted: Nice, were the fairways hard? here in TX they have been pretty hard most of the year but they are finally moistening up a little and even turning green again.
Fairways were kind of "fluffy damp"...........hard to hit off. Not much roll on tee shots, kind of plugged right where they landed. Have to hit iron shots just perfect off of that stuff, which is hard to do after many dormant months, but was fun just to be able to swing a club again.:)

The other course that we played was called "Mineral Mound" and it was probably the toughest course I've played in years. Many of the holes were narrow "snaking" fairways..........with sheer dropoffs on both sides, some 100 feet down. Miss the fairway, and you were screwed. Didn't want to even try to find our ball.........looked like snake country below.........LOL. We both had some real bad holes on that one.:(

Good pix...just about 2-3 more weeks and the fairways would have greened up fairly nicely....the way this spring is going - you'll be playing at home in no time...

The course looks kind of like a goat track though. What did it cost to play? I wouldn't give over $25 for that...

We got home and all the Wisconsin courses were open and the fairways dark green!! Go figure.

While I struggled with the driver, sssmokin "smoked" his!! We had a 491 yard par 5 with a big "hill" in the center of the fairway. He got his over the hill and with the dry conditions and hard fairway it rolled, and rolled, and rolled until he had exactly 130 to the pin. We knew he hit his ball down the middle and couldn't find it. That's because we were looking in an area about 100 yards short! 491-130=361 yards. Yes, he hit his SQ 361 yards!! I was very disturbed. Then two holes later he hits one 306. Both of these right down the middle. I was struggling to keep mine in the fairway.

Now putting on the other hand was all MINE!! I destroyed sssmokin with my new 2-ball. And I also hit my 3-wood and short irons more accurately so while he got me on the first three rounds, the last day I made up all those strokes he beat me by the first day and then some.

Bottom line. We probably ended with identical scores. Just like good twins should.... :D

Good pix...just about 2-3 more weeks and the fairways would have greened up fairly nicely....the way this spring is going - you'll be playing at home in no time...

The course looks kind of like a goat track though. What did it cost to play? I wouldn't give over $25 for that...

Bravo

They WERE cheap. $20 for 18 and a cart. Not bad, right? Were nice courses. Traps, greens etc were great. Just the grass was bad in the fairways.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520