• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

the rough was really rough today

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played the TPC Boston course today - i could not believe some of the lies I had today - there was one where I called my playing partner over to ask how the ball could have worked its way that deep into the grass - it was really amazing. there were others where I said "wow, that's a bad lie" but the ball was still visable

the other courses I've played this year were either frozen for mowed fairly short - this was a rude awakening

I didn't play "that bad" other than the 10 over I was after the first two holes - starting 7, 11 is never good

ended up with a 91 - 8 pars, 7 bogeys and 3 "others" that I'd rather not think about ever again

so....not that I anticipate rough like this again anytime soon, but any advice on how to hack it out of the really nasty stuff?

I played a junior team match on Monday, and only hit driver once... On the first... You could not afford to spray the ball even a yard from the fairway, the rough was so long and thick.

I went in it twice, and both times, it took me two shots to hack out with a 9 iron.

so....not that I anticipate rough like this again anytime soon, but any advice on how to hack it out of the really nasty stuff?
The club depends on how strong you are and how fast you can swing.
Ball in the middle of your stance, hands way ahead of the ball, keep your eye on the ball and hit it as hard as you can. Thats if the balls sitting down so far that you have no option other than to play it up the fairway.
This is what I've been taught anyway.

I've had a few I have to hack out like a bunker shot with a wedge or a short iron. The course I play is trying to grow it in and it was superlong last week, almost to my knees in some areas. The tough part is how inconsistant it is. I got into a bare spot with a huge clump in front of the ball. I hit a full 6iron near perfect but it came out like I dead topped it.

It would kill pace of play but that course would be awesome if they can get it really grown out consistant and thick. I think if they did that they could have the USGA come down and the slope rating would go up 5 or 6 points. When they cut it down it's too easy to hit out of it. I actually prefer being in it sometimes as I can allow for the ball to run up and not have to fly shots onto the green.

91 after a 7, 11 start is pretty good.

The only thing I know about getting out of really deep rough is:

1. Open the face, since the grass will grab the hosel. Swing steep - swing hard. You want to use a slice swing.

2. Use a a lofted club, and don't try to do anything but get the ball back in play.

most of my bogeys (7 of them) were because I missed the fairway by a few feet with the driver - in the beginning of the round, I was trying to advance the ball and get it into the fairway with my 7iron - it being the club I default to in most situations - first club I pull at the range, etc...the rough murdered my 7 (a wishon 560) and was even worse with my 8 iron (macgregor 1025m) - the club I had the most success with was my 6 iron (macgregor m565)

on the 2nd hole, I took an unplayable and proceeded to drop the ball into a divot in the rough - naturally it rolled to the back of the divot

I probably should of anticipated some nasty rough and asked this question before playing there.....

the comment about pace of play was right on the money - we were 15 minutes late after 4 holes, and I'm betting we were probably 1/2 late after 2
(thankfully it's really a corporate course, and is pretty dead)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520