• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tips to improve your short short game

Seeing this come back to the top just reminded me I was talking about this shot. I used it today. That closed stance shot with my GW, slinging it off the back foot. Short, nearly 90* dogleg left par 4 I hit a 3 wood on an agressive line and ended up about 80yds. out dead center. Slightly evevated green, stick tucked behind a bunker. Slung it in there low and it bounced, nearly hit the stick and then spun back 8ft. below the hole. Coolest looking shot I've hit in a while. Unfortunately just a tap in par. Can't even make a dead straight, uphill 8 footer. I need a putter switch or something.
icon10.gif

Just playing around is a good idea. I had to keep waiting as the URI college team was out on the course ahead of me (saw one kid drive it to 100 marker on 455) and I utulized this time to hit a bunch of different wedge shots from the rough and bunkers. Also had fun trying to hit my SW over a 12 ft. tree branch onto the teebox from about 10yds. Practice and have fun with it.

Gunning, there is nothing incorrect about

what you are doing. It is a proven method used by some of the greatest players ever. Also, when a green is highly irregular, I use that method so that I can fly the ball over tricky terrain. The method of using many different clubs with the same stroke is the way I go when breaks in the green between my ball and the cup are pretty simple. I might add that one of the things that can make that method such a good one is when you are landing the ball on the green the same distance from the edge of the green every time. As you get closer to the edge of the green, you use less loft to get the ball to roll up to the hole.

Any method used is going to require enough practice to develop a certain amount of feel. In your practice, hit some five iron chips to a spot. Move back a bit, hit a six iron to the same spot. Then seven, eight, nine, etc., always moving back and then hitting the same spot and using the same stroke.

Also, hit different clubs from the same spot off the green using the same stroke to develop an understanding of how the length of roll changes from one club to the next.

Its always a good idea to throw in some lobs and flops, some bump and runs, some regular short pitch shots, some putts from off the green, sand shots, etc, etc. Also, do not forget the use of a hybrid from off the green. The hybrid is the perfect club to use when the area between your ball and the green is a little too rough or bumpy to putt.

And don't forget to practice your putting!

A great way to finish a short game practice session is to get the ball up and down using one ball and holing the putts you have left.

Doing such things with your short game will absolutely lower your score faster than anything. (Having said that truth, you want to also develop a swing that can give you good contact with all of your full shots. Hopefully, you will also develop some accuracy with that good contact. Now, we are really ready to go out and shoot that great score.

Best of luck to all. Sincerely, Cypressperch

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54