• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titleist 905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65-R

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Reaction score
My new driver just came in from Global Golf yesterday. :) Thanks to robereno for the quick shipment and the discount and the free shipping.

The head is pristine and the shaft looks brand new with no bag rash. The grip is a little worn, but I always replace these anyway.

So I went to the range last evening to try it out, along with my 3 & 5 woods that I just had reshafted with these Aldila NV shafts (had it done cheaply with pulls.)

After hitting a few sky balls with the fairway woods, I finally found a tee height where I can hit the ball most of the time. It seems low, but the ball flight is now more penetrating. I can live with it. I just have to remember to keep my left arm straight, and not try to kill the ball. 3 years and I'm still trying to learn that. :(

On to the driver. This head looks huge. Much bigger looking down on it than my 905T and MUCH, MUCH biger than my 983K. It must be the ass end of it that makes it look so big, kind of like it's the Jennifer Lopez of Titleist drivers. Lots of junk in the trunk. OK, well, I'm an ass man anyway, maybe I'll get used to it.

The shaft feels good, loads up nice and is a good weight for me. I start out gripping it all the way at the butt end, but like most 45" drivers, it feels too long for me at that length and I am hitting the ball all over the clubface. Eventually I start gripping down about 1.5", like I normally do with these drivers and I start making better contact.

When I do make good contact, the sound is a nice deep THUMP, much different than the metallic TING of my favorite 983K. Ball flight is a rainbow arc, landing about 240 yards out and rolling well from there. Somewhat higher than my 983K but this driver also has 1 more degree of loft. On good shots I could hit draws or fades. Sometimes I could even make it draw or fade, but most of the time the club seemed to decide for me.

Just to be fair, I did hit some balls with my 983K Prolite 3.5 as well. About the same distance, almost always a draw, and a much flatter trajectory. Plus the darn thing just seems easier to swing. Is it possible that the huge head on the 905R has an appreciable amount of wind resistance?

At this point I am undecided whether this club is an improvement for me or not. I will give it at least a month and if I can't get more control of it by then I will sell it on eBay and go back to my old faithful 983K.
905R1.JPG
905R2.JPG
905R3.JPG

Tee'm high and hit the hard Doc!

that's what a driver should look like... pure beauty :D

that's what a driver should look like... pure beauty :D

Agreed. I've tried 905 R with both a UST V2 and GD YS-6, both in stiff flex.

For my swing, I was hitting the ball better with the V2. However, I realized that it maybe have been due to the shaft weight (76g) versus the 65g in the YS-6.

Regardless, it's a beautiful driver. :laugh:

Agreed. I've tried 905 R with both a UST V2 and GD YS-6, both in stiff flex.

For my swing, I was hitting the ball better with the V2. However, I realized that it maybe have been due to the shaft weight (76g) versus the 65g in the YS-6.

Wow. A V2 in stiff in a bore through. You taking steroids? :D

Nice club but it looks really closed in the second pic or is that just me.

Wow. A V2 in stiff in a bore through. You taking steroids? :D

lol. With the YS-6, the only way I could hit it straight and good was if I took a nice easy swing. With the V2, I felt like I could put a little extra umph into it and gets good results. If I did that with the YS-6, I was all over the place.

Quick threadjack....

WBL - how did you make it through the rough weather last night? Did most of it hit north and west of you? Or did you get slammed? Hope not...:(

Eracer,

We had a tornado "watch" (not warning) from 8:00 pm last night until 5:00 am this morning but only rough storms were around 11:30 pm last night. And nothing bad. Most of the tornadoes and damage were much farther up north of sssmokin (central Wisconsin). It was perfect conditions for them to form though, very high winds with a dry, very cold front hitting a very warm, very humid front. SSE winds 40 mph etc. :)

JS Online: Tornadoes rake state

JS Online: Graphic

Eracer,

We had a tornado "watch" (not warning) from 8:00 pm last night until 5:00 am this morning but only rough storms were around 11:30 pm last night. And nothing bad. Most of the tornadoes and damage were much farther up north of sssmokin (central Wisconsin). It was perfect conditions for them to form though, very high winds with a dry, very cold front hitting a very warm, very humid front. SSE winds 40 mph etc. :)

JS Online: Tornadoes rake state

JS Online: Graphic

I learned a new word from the first link - derecho - never heard that before.

Glad to hear the brothers are OK - maybe Razor scared those storms away.:laugh:

Nice looking driver doc
(glad to see picture quality is improving on the forum too :)

is the swingweight the same on this as it is on your 983k?
maybe cut the 905 down a 1/2" or so when you regrip and see if it's easier to swing

keep us posted

I took the 905R out for it's first 18 holes today. After a weak couple of drives on #1 &#2, I got the hang of it. It likes a big arced backswing, smooth transition, and a big finish down the line. :D But don't they all?

Once I put a good swing on it, it hits high, long, straight shots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520