• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titleist and/or Aldila should be ashamed of themselves

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Reaction score
After my troubling experience last weekend at the Public Links, I decided to investigate why I couldn't hit a fairway with my driver. Other than the obvious, which is that I am a crappy golfer. :)

So while I was in Atlanta, I went by the PGA Tour Superstore :D and hit some in one of the launch monitor bays. I was pressed for time, otherwise I could have stayed in that store for weeks.

Anyway, my 905R Aldila NV regular flex driver was tested and found to be 230 cpm. :( My 983K Prolite 3.5 regular flex was 260 cpm. No wonder I was spraying the 905R all over the place.

Just to be sure, I went to the range tonight and used a Swing Sensor radar unit. My driver swing speed was 100-104 mph. I had both drivers retested for flex and the 905R was 233 cpm and the 983K was 263 cpm.

I can hardly believe that Titleist, and no doubt other OEMs, put out crappy clubs like this for the price they charge.

I'm having the shaft pulled, hopefully without screwing up the aluminum hosel thingy, and reshafted with a UST V2.

wow - you always here about clubs being +/- 1* or whatever, but that seem crazy - isn't 10 cpm almost a flex?

Disappointing to say the least... but which CPMs are legit for a reg flex shaft? One of them is certainly off, but which one?

And you can't hit fairways because they ran out of acreage to extend them in order to suit your needs, brother :)

I will be the broken record here.....

There is no "industry standard" CPM for flex between shaft companies. Each individual company is allowed to call whatever flex whatever they want cpm-wise. I know there are barely any standards WITHIN a single company in some cases. I mean, how can the butt CPM of an X-Flex Accuflex JLG Ultra Boom be SO FAR off from an X-Flex Accuflex assassin? Same company, same flex designation, way, way off cpm's.

Were both of these shafts stock for Titleist? That is "sort of" odd that Titleist would allow such a discrepancy, but not surprising. One shaft is Aldila, the other is Grafalloy. No, not a surprise.

Instances like this is why one SHOULD NOT buy off the rack. Go to a certified club-fitter and get your clubs custom fit by a professional. You will get the loft and flex that fits your budget and your individual swing.

But it does explain your inconsistency with the 905R if you hit the K just fine.

Clubfitter said the 905R "R" flex would play more like a L flex.

The GSGA set this course up hard: fairways were cut very narrow, some only 25 yards wide. Bermuda rough was 2-3" and just ate golf balls. This was a new style course, with no parallel holes, in a high end subdivision. Very hilly, with water on 11 holes. OB and/or hazard left and right on every hole. They changed the opening par 5 to a par 4, and they used the champ tees on 15 holes.

Granted, I was a choking dog. But that darn driver sure didn't help me any.

The 905 is far closer to being an R flex based on the numbers you posted. The pro-lite which known to play stiff is reading at an S flex at 260 cpm.

Any one got a timer on how quickly Rock will jump on the L flex NV?! :laugh:

It is a shame that these were so far apart but at least you'll get a bright shiny new shaft out of it!

Augster

Accuflex state clearly on their website those two shafts you refer to play differently,at least one flex.If anyone buys blind nowadays they are asking for trouble surely? The Accuflex site is one of the best in terms of info.

You also need to understand that all you have measured is butt frequency. Which really isnt any indication at all of a shafts over stiffness. From a butt frequency standpoint alone the Aldila is an R flex, the Pro-lite is bordering on X.

Aldila's website shows the frequency for the NV as being A 230, R 245, S 260.

I'm not as concerned with the absolute number so much as I am the variation between 2 Titleist drivers both labeled R.

I understand that there is much more to making a shaft a R flex than just butt stiffness, but if you look at how most of us are forced to buy our golf clubs, especially drivers, it is a major hit or miss proposition.

For what is usually the most expensive club in the bag, IMHO the OEMs give us precious little information, not to mention consistency.

Aldila's website shows the frequency for the NV as being A 230, R 245, S 260.

I'm not as concerned with the absolute number so much as I am the variation between 2 Titleist drivers both labeled R.

I understand that there is much more to making a shaft a R flex than just butt stiffness, but if you look at how most of us are forced to buy our golf clubs, especially drivers, it is a major hit or miss proposition.

For what is usually the most expensive club in the bag, IMHO the OEMs give us precious little information, not to mention consistency.

Titleist as other manufactures will provide what the customer wants. Since there is no "standard" the cpm's will vary from one OEM to another. The "stock" shafts - many times are some of the cheapest shafts available - but will work the best for average golfers.

Golf companies are in it for the money. Salesreps are in it for the money. Golf pros are in it for GOLF. I would suggest speaking with your golf pro who knows your golf swing and ask them what they think is best for you in terms of shaft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520