• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Titleist Spin Milled Oil Can v. Cleveland RTG

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Testing the Titleist Spin Milled Oil Can 60 degree 4 degree bounce v. Cleveland RTG 60 degree 3 degree bounce

History is that I got a 54 and 58 degree Spin Milled a few months ago. I love the 54 degree but I felt a little uneasy with the 58 and I switched back to my trusty rusty RTG in 60 degrees and 3 degrees bounce. I just acquired a 60 degree SM in 4 degrees bounce so I decided to run them in a "shoot out".

Firstly they are both very nice wedges, but I feel that they play very differently off turf. Funny they seem to play as well from sand both from flat, downhill and uphill lies. SM has a bit more bounce and probably is easier to get out of sand.

SM has a very wide sole, and I can't play cut ups or lobs with it, but I can play skippers and stop it real quick, and I seem to get great spin from the rough.

RTG has a much slimmer sole and I can cut that up no end at all. I find it hard to play a skipper with it, it doesn't spin as well but it feels so much more controllable in my hands.

Conclusion: I will test the SM a few more times but ultimately I will probably hang with the RTG. May look for a newer model with sharper grooves or perhaps I will try and get the SM ground to take a bit off that wide sole, dunno...

thanks for the review..as im looking for a new wedge also

I feel the same way about my 60 RTG. It's there when I need it.

I am intrigued tho by the 54 vokey... since I've seen you play, I think we have a similar traj, maybe I hit it a bit higher than you.

Can you go into detail on the 54 SM vs what you were playing before?

Thanks!

I haven't played the RTG but i picked up 54 and 60 SM's to replace my old 56 Vokey earlier this year. The 60 has become my absolute favorite club in the bag. It is my go-to club from anywhere inside 95 yards.

I also got the 4 bounce and was concerned about its wide sole at first but it works great for me. I rarely open it up all the way to hit full flops but I have no problem laying it open a bit and lobbing it up high. As you mentioned, this club is great for knockdown shots - one hop and it sits.

I like the 54 but not quite as much, might be the grip though. I got the 60 first and it came with the velvet cord, my preferred grip, then the 54 I got came with the tour velvet. I just haven't gotten around to changing it yet. The 54/10 has a much narrower sole. It works very good out of greenside bunkers. I can't really comment much on its versatility, because I use the 60 more often. Both clubs give GREAT spin. I'd recommend either club.

Funny story...

Last night I was playing a few twilight holes, again with both 60s in my bag. After about 4 holes I realised that I had left my RTG beside the green at our 2nd. I ran back and IT WAS GONE!!! :shocked::eek:

I started feeling nauscious, REALLY! Even though I played on with the SM, I was already in pre-Ho mood to replace the RTG. I play more cut up lobs that skippers so it's a no brainer really.

Alas it was handed in when I got back to the club, thanks dude (whoever you are!!).

I will be keeping the RTG forever!!!!!!!!

I feel the same way about my 60 RTG. It's there when I need it.

I am intrigued tho by the 54 vokey... since I've seen you play, I think we have a similar traj, maybe I hit it a bit higher than you.

Can you go into detail on the 54 SM vs what you were playing before?

Thanks!

I have/had 53 and 56 degree CG10s. iow 3 wedges.

I decided to go to 2, 54 and 60, and it seems to be working out. I like the SM 54, it has a narrower sole and good bounce. It feels like a different animal and I am using it for different shots.

The 54SM v. 53CG10 are quite similar, perhaps the former having a bit more weight. I get more rip from the SM. Again not much in it.

Try the SMs for God Sake VT!! Only person that's going to know is you.

It's funny timing on this post for me. I have a 54-10 Vokey that is not SM. I also have the 58 in a SM and love it so yesterday I replaced the current 54 with a new 54-14 SM Oil Can. I wanted some extra bounce in that club since my 50* and 58* are low bounce. I also wanted the SM version. I will get to test it out tomorrow.

Alas it was handed in when I got back to the club, thanks dude (whoever you are!!).

That's what I love about this game, it draws for the most part honorable people...:laugh:

I chipped in yesterday with the X-Tour on the hardest hole probably in the state. Would have been a nice $100 skin too, but some other group cut it. I don't believe it LOL.

Anyhow, keeping the X-Tour.... for now ;)

Man, one of the worst sinking feelings in the world is when you leave a club behind. I've gotten pretty good about having a routine of checking my bag, but it's always a worry.

yea ive lost a wedge and a friend lost one of my putters within 3 weeks of each other...that sucked

I this year went to Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54d and 60d. Play Pro V1x. Did not really know what shredding a ball was until I did this. I notice, as do others in my foursomes, that when I'm within 50 yds and 'on' that I can drop these wedges 'dead' with little roll on any side of the drop spot/ball mark. For me, has made this easy to zero in on and play aggressively at the hole, with the imagery being to drop the ball right into the hole on a fly.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520