• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

TM Golf ball question

I'm not sure even TM knows the answer to that freakin question. Why didn't they leave Maxfli alone and let guys who know something about golf balls make em, instead of the idiots TM put in charge of their golf balls.

I'm not sure even TM knows the answer to that freakin question. Why didn't they leave Maxfli alone and let guys who know something about golf balls make em, instead of the idiots TM put in charge of their golf balls.
:laugh:
I had that exact opinion when I was trying to figure out WTF to do about the Tour Fires. It was so bad in trying to figure it all out, that I fortunately found the Maxfli version, as opposed to going to the Burner TP. When these run out, I will likely find a new ball as opposed to trying to find out at that time what name they have changed it too and are hiding it under. Seems like they said "HMMM, seems to profitable to change the name on our drivers every 3 months, why not try it on the golfballs as well"

This is just speculation on my part, and got to tired of sifting through all the BS to go any further than finding the Tour Fire at Dicks to be sure. But in regards to your initial question, I just got the idea that after the acquisition of Maxfli, they took all their old balls and replaced the covers and add the proprietary LDP technology that worked well in the Tour Fire and similar Maxfli balls. Again speculation, as I think that is all you can really do with TM golf balls, that this is possibly the reason they are now "15% softer feel" So I really doubt that they currently even have an identical match to the original TM Red, or any other for that matter.

Gwlee has it right.

The Black is the 4-piece that plays like the V1x... I mix it up between the Blacks and the Reds sometimes.. Only thing I notice is the Black launches a tad higher, and I get more bite from my wedges.

Gwlee has it right.

The Black is the 4-piece that plays like the V1x... I mix it up between the Blacks and the Reds sometimes.. Only thing I notice is the Black launches a tad higher, and I get more bite from my wedges.
Actually I believe both of the originals were 3 piece, for the current LDP models, the Red is a 4-piece and the Black is a 3 piece. The main difference in the original was that the Red had a larger core and lower Ball Compression. So with that in mind, I would only assume that you are correct in that the Original Red would play more like the ProV1 and the Original Black would play more like the ProV1x.

As far as the current models, logic may tell you that could possibly be reversed with the Red being a 4-piece, but it says it is for higher spin, so if anyone ever finds out, they should probably let TM know so they can fill in their customers. :)

But TaylorMade in their clear as mud explanation states that the new Red is for High Spin Players not "higher spin". Who the *&^% knows what that is supposed to mean.

I know what the Pro V1x is supposed to do so I buy that now. Or, I'll also play the Bridgestone B330 or B330s sometimes.

I loved the original TM red and liked the Black as well. Now, I won't play them pretty much on principle alone. Screw TaylorMade and their we love changing everything ass.

I have 7 dozen or so of the Red and the Black LDPs... I stocked up every once in a while for the 2 for $55 deal. Can't beat that price for a premium ball.

As for the description.. Who friggin knows.. What is a high spin player? My understanding is that the black is for someone who need more spin.. As it seems the only difference is the spin numbers from them. For what it's worth, if I can remember, the Black feels a wee-bit harder to me than the Red. Maybe I'm completely lost, like the rest of the consumers.

I generally play Bridgestone 70% of the time. I don't think anyone out there, even Titleist, has a ball that contains all the perks in one. Price, Performance, and Durability. My B330/S/RX all last me a while. The RX being the better one for my game off the woods, but the S is far superior 150 yards and closer, with the RX close behind.

That said..

If you want more spin, and a high launch, use the TM Blacks. Thats all I can gather from the mess.

I need lower driver spin, so I am probably going to go with either the Pro V1X, B330 or the E7. I have some of the TM black LDP's and they tend to ballon of the driver for me. May try a few of the reds and see what they do, or I could go to the Bridgestone E7, which is a ball I have really grown to like, and call it good for about the same price as the TM are.

Has someone had a look at all the new Maxfli balls? I was looking for some old Tour Fires since someone here told me they were the Burner TPs, and found like 8 different Maxfli references (no Tour fire of course).

I do like playing the TM balls, either one of the red or black. My favorite ball is still the ONE tour, the thing is a beast, but I do keep my eyes open for good deals on the TM balls. Unfortunately they are 2 for 55 but at the same time ONE tour's are 2 for 60... and I love my ONE balls. Sorry TM unfortunately you lost out this round... i continue to keep my eyes peeled on ebay for a good deal on them

I do like playing the TM balls, either one of the red or black. My favorite ball is still the ONE tour, the thing is a beast, but I do keep my eyes open for good deals on the TM balls. Unfortunately they are 2 for 55 but at the same time ONE tour's are 2 for 60... and I love my ONE balls. Sorry TM unfortunately you lost out this round... i continue to keep my eyes peeled on ebay for a good deal on them

And the purpose of this post is....?

Xam-

The new Maxfli balls are not real Maxfli. Dick's Sporting Goods bought the name. They might as well be Slazenger.

Tour Fires are the real deal. Last ball Maxfli made as a real company, I think.

Bryguy- Try the Bridgestone. B330/330S is my favorite ball, period. I really, really HAMMER those. First one I ever hit I had deemed lost because it was so much farther up than I have ever hit it on that particular hole. Just freakin' awesome feel, control, distance, spin...

I gotta take a cold shower.

Try the Bridgestone. B330/330S is my favorite ball, period. I really, really HAMMER those. First one I ever hit I had deemed lost because it was so much farther up than I have ever hit it on that particular hole. Just freakin' awesome feel, control, distance, spin...

I gotta take a cold shower.

Golf Digest had the bridgestone balls top ranked, even above ProV1's, id love to try them

Golf Digest had the bridgestone balls top ranked, even above ProV1's, id love to try them

Try them. Best premium ball on the market. I prefer the B330S myself.

Too bad SUX has all mine!!!

Bridgestone does make a better ball. I like all of the B330 series.. The B330 and the RX fit my SS better, but damn do I like the feel of the -S.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520