• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tommy Armour 845s

BigJim13

Staff member
Reaction score
yep, my cousin played those for about 6 straight years during the time i played the Titleist DCI 962's. he loved em. he was a 4 handicapper during that time. a lot of people still play them and still love them. one of the all time greats in my opinion

When introduced, were one of the great "hits" in the industry. Set up beautifully. Relatively small blade, yet a cavity back which provides some forgiveness. After initial success, the company was sold a couple times. Armour ended up under the Ram/Teardrop umbrella that went belly up. The second generation of irons produced while under the Ram/Teardrop holding company and the thrid generation which we saw as a reintroduction around 2002/3 just didn't have the same feel as did the originals. The early 845s irons were mostly released with DG shafts. The later releases had a proprietary shaft that didn't have near the feel of the DG. Some thought the castings changed after the original Armour company was sold. All the heads were 17-4 stainless, but if they changed casting houses, the difference in heat treating could account for the change in feel.

If you can buy 'em cheap enough, put in a set of decent shafts and see how you get along with them.

• Staff
When introduced, were one of the great "hits" in the industry. Set up beautifully. Relatively small blade, yet a cavity back which provides some forgiveness. After initial success, the company was sold a couple times. Armour ended up under the Ram/Teardrop umbrella that went belly up. The second generation of irons produced while under the Ram/Teardrop holding company and the thrid generation which we saw as a reintroduction around 2002/3 just didn't have the same feel as did the originals. The early 845s irons were mostly released with DG shafts. The later releases had a proprietary shaft that didn't have near the feel of the DG. Some thought the castings changed after the original Armour company was sold. All the heads were 17-4 stainless, but if they changed casting houses, the difference in heat treating could account for the change in feel.

If you can buy 'em cheap enough, put in a set of decent shafts and see how you get along with them.

Good info, any idea what the hosel diameter is?

For what its worth I used to work with a guy who played college golf. I could get him into a new driver, and a few wedges, but he would not let those irons go for anything. He liked the feel of my MP 60s, but he has yet to find anything he likes better. I hit them and think they are a great combo of cavity back and some playability.

For what its worth I used to work with a guy who played college golf. I could get him into a new driver, and a few wedges, but he would not let those irons go for anything. He liked the feel of my MP 60s, but he has yet to find anything he likes better. I hit them and think they are a great combo of cavity back and some playability.

Have him gamble on a cheap-ass set of 3DX Pros or 4DX Pros - the guy that designed the 845s is the one that went on to design the TM RAC series, then went and headed up Nickent and designed all of their clubs.

Have him gamble on a cheap-ass set of 3DX Pros or 4DX Pros - the guy that designed the 845s is the one that went on to design the TM RAC series, then went and headed up Nickent and designed all of their clubs.

and the Titleist DCI's

I bought a set of those for under $30 about a year or two ago for some reason on ebay.

I sold them to a buddy, who plays this right now and he likes them.. Likes the thinner top line, and the soles, and offers him a nice profile than some GI club. He hits them decently I guess.. I didn't like the feel of them, personally, but they weren't bad club by any means.

My oldest brother played 'em for about 8 years. Loved 'em. Won a club championship with them.

In his time with them I only saw him break one, which has to be some sort of commendation for them!!!! :biglol:

John B. Hoeflich

Great clubs and if they are cheap its worth a try. I know several people who play them and they are all of varied skill. Each one loves them for a different reason, but they never have anything bad to say about them. My first set of irons were the 835 silver scotts, to this day I regret giving them away!!

But I love my MP's!!

Those Silver Scots were, and remain, one of the classic of all designs. Total innovation in cavity back design when they came out. I played with them for years and then gave them to my son. I still like using them when he lets me. I still see a lot of good players with these in their bags.
With new, more technology driven shafts, these sticks would compete with almost anything on the market.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520