• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tough thing to do.. JP Hayes DQ'd

Would you have done the same and turned yourself in?

• Yes, I actually have some integrity!

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No! Are you kidding? That's my Tour Card I'm giving up!

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
Fine man there and credit to golf. Hard to believe with examples of sportsmanship like this the pga still felt it had to jump on the "come on you, piss in this cup" drug testing policy.

these pro's are a class act. I cant think of a single player that i would suspect of cheating, can you?

George O'Grady, chief executive of the European Tour, put a humorous spin on drug testing last month at the Presidents Cup when he suggested testing Tiger Woods.

"If he's clean, what does it matter what the rest of them are on?" O'Grady said.

sorry thead jacking here my bad, point is Golf is a first class honest game and the pros are the epitome of both ball striking, and honesty.

I dont see why he would even have those in his bag, if he was testing something at home or on the range i would make damn sure i dont have any training aids or illegal equipment in my bag.

I understand that he should be DQ'd from the tournament. Even if it was only 2 shots, every shot counts with these guys. It's similar to a situation I run into playing with some friends, or my dad...

They'll get frustrated, 4 putt a GiR on a par 4, and say "gimme a 5." Or they'll just pick up the ball after a blow-up hole and say "just give me a 9." I generally just leave the box blank; when they ask what they scored for the round, I say "you didn't."

There really is no sense in keeping score if you don't follow ALL the rules. A score incorporates all of the rules, not some of them. That number stands for something, and if you mislead yourself, or others, with a false score, the symbol, the score, is faulty.

For example, anyone can shoot par (with 18 mulligans.) A score that does not abide by the rules might as well be full of mulligans, or might as well not be kept to begin with.

The rules that "suck" might make the difference between a 77 and an 81. But until you can shoot a 77 BY THE RULES, you deserve the 81, not the 77, regardless of what you decide to write on the scorecard.

If you don't like the rules, you ought to just not keep score, really. Enjoy shotmaking. Scores are for people who play by the rules, and ONLY those people, because a score that does not hold to the rules is meaningless.

I'd definitely like to think I would do the same thing, but I honestly don't know if I could do it...really impossible for me to know until I'm in that situation so I didn't vote. I have been completely honest in every tournament I've played in, but I've never played a tournament that would help me financially by doing well.

Mike Golic - Golf - ESPN

Above link is JP Hayes talking with Mike & Mike on ESPN about the DQ

Kudos to the man, I'm hoping he gets (deserving) sponsor exemptions.

The question needs to be asked. Why was this guy playing an illegal ball to begin with?

And why did it take him so long to notice his 'mistake'?

Or they'll just pick up the ball after a blow-up hole and say "just give me a 9." I generally just leave the box blank; when they ask what they scored for the round, I say "you didn't."

There really is no sense in keeping score if you don't follow ALL the rules. A score incorporates all of the rules, not some of them. That number stands for something, and if you mislead yourself, or others, with a false score, the symbol, the score, is faulty.
What you say is essentially true.

However - I applaud anyone who picks up their ball after they've exceeded their ESC score for a hole. Making additional strokes will not change their adjusted score. It will only frustrate them further (this is supposed to be a fun game, remember?) and lead to slow play, which, in recreational golf, is important.

In a sanctioned tournament, you must count every stroke - period. In recreational play, I have no problem picking up after my 8th shot, if I'm slowing down the folks behind me.

In recreational play, I have no problem picking up after my 8th shot, if I'm slowing down the folks behind me.

Done that numerous times, why prolong the frustration & agony of the evil blowup hole? Pick the ball up, forget about that hole & move along.

Kudos to the man, I'm hoping he gets (deserving) sponsor exemptions.

i heard he's got 5 now for 2009. probably more to come. how's he doing at Q-school?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520