• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

US Open Picks

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am picking.

Rory McIlroy
Luke Donald
Phil Mickelson
Bubba Watson
K. J. Choi

One of these guys will do it.

(Now watch first year pro Gabby Kapitzky win).... :confused:

I'm going with the Golf Boys line-up, plus Phil

Tiger...oh wait maybe not.

Wouldn't mind seeing Phil win finally.
Luke Donald- would be nice if the #1 player in the world won every now and then
Westwood- see above
Ernie Els- I love his swing, may have putter issues though

I just want to see a big name win it. I don't want a Schwartzel or a YE Yang win. Phil or McIlroy would be awesome.

And before you guys jump on me about Schwartzel being 11th in the WGR, he wasn't even in the top 30 before the Masters.

edit: ok, I was wrong...he was 29th. Still, Schwartzel?....c'mon.

It would be nice to see a shooting like we had in the Masters, unfortunately US Open courses don't lend themselves to that type of golf.

How about Adam Scott, Stevie on the bag with a Titleist hat has to help!

It would be nice to see a shooting like we had in the Masters, unfortunately US Open courses don't lend themselves to that type of golf.

How about Adam Scott, Stevie on the bag with a Titleist hat has to help!

I like Scott, but I would be surprised. To me, he just doesn't seem mentally tuff enough. If he wins, I say it gets handed to him...Geoff Ogilvy style, while lurking in contention. Just my guess. Of course, besides Phil, I don't think anyone in the field is mentally strong enough to, say, hold a 54 hole lead and win. Tiger and Phil are the only 2 golfers in the world, IMO, that can withstand Major Championship pressure. Again, just my opinion.

At the risk of getting a beat down on this board I am going to make a statement that will most likely not be well recieved.

I have heard people, talking heads and others, saying that the parity in golf is a good thing. Ten of the last 10 majors have been won by 10 different people. IMO golf was more interesting when I was wondering what record Tiger was going to break next and if anybody would step up to challenge him. Now we have a bunch of so-called "good young talents"'but nobody that makes me turn on my TV like Tiger did. FWIW I miss him playing at his best and if he doesn't come back to form soon then TV contracts and in turn purses will get smaller.

Ok, rant over-let the beating begin but if you are going to start please come up with another argument other than "golf was around before Tiger and will be after." ninknow it was and i am not saying gold will cease to exist, just that it's less interesting without Tiger in form.

I agree 100% Jim. If I wasn't so obssesive about golf I wouldn't be watching. It seems a lot of people are yearning for someone to step up and fill that void Tiger left. But that's not going to happen. Too many people take for granted how good Tiger's career has really been. He's the GOAT....might be awhile before anyone fills those shoes. But don't forget, Tiger isn't done yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if this years US Open ratings are the lowest that they've been in 15 years. This is the first US Open Tiger has ever missed since turning pro.

I LOVE to watch McIlroy. He is so cool I can't believe he won't dominate this sport shortly. And kicking butt while playing easy and relaxed is so much nicer to watch then Tiger scowling and throwing clubs and grinding. He makes it so much like work. I don't care if he doesn't come back. And Phil is busy digging himself into a big hole today.

Rory wl be great when he learns to play all 4 rounds, almost had it at the Masters but not quite. I think of all the young players he has the best chance to be great, maybe not Tiger great-maybe Faldo great though.

As for Tiger's attitude, never bothered me much. I guess I understand that everybody has flaws and if you had a camera on you for every minute you were on the golf course it might catch some bad things too!

I gotta agree with Jerry. I'd much rather watch Rory swing so fluidily and seemingly effortlessly than watch Tiger grind it out scowling and growling all day. But to each there own, right?

As for Phil the Thrill, who knows where he will be tomorrow?

I took this afternoon off work to watch. First time in years that I'd done that. Why? Because I knew we might get to see the field. So far this year, we've seen a number of sudden death playoffs. Today, we saw some great shots on a U.S. Open course. And, we didn't have to see replay after replay of TW.
Hopefully, the weather will cooperate through the weekend. Today, we saw smiles. By Sunday, we'll see dry mouthed faces and watch some of these guys upchucking all over themselves. We will see the one or two who can take the pressure come out on top. I hope McElroy learned from the Masters and stays in the saddle.
Swartzel looked good today. The Masters must have really escalated his confidence factor. Phil had no idea where his ball was going. DJ found lots of water. Woodland... local boy... scored fairly well.
523 yard par 4???? This old man could hit 3 good drivers and still need a 5-iron to get there!!!! :>) Of course, we saw these young kids hitting 320+ yard drives all day long. Length like that makes a little difference!!!!
I'm off all day tomorrow. Have a few errands to run, but hope to watch golf most of the day.

The length of these courses the pros play are crazy. 7500 yds? Seriously??? That's at least 1000-1500 yds LONGER than any course I have played and longer than all the courses in VT.

I know what your saying about Tiger guys and you're right- they did show him alot. The reason they did though was to get the non die hard fans to watch. I mean let's face it, guys on
This board are going to tune into the open with or without Tiger. They are targeting the average fan.

The length of these courses the pros play are crazy. 7500 yds? Seriously??? That's at least 1000-1500 yds LONGER than any course I have played and longer than all the courses in VT.

I know what your saying about Tiger guys and you're right- they did show him alot. The reason they did though was to get the non die hard fans to watch. I mean let's face it, guys on
This board are going to tune into the open with or without Tiger. They are targeting the average fan.

You're right Jim, my wife was watching with me and they'd show Tiger in his walking cast and crutches. She looked at me and asked, is he even playing? lol

Well I am enjoying watching more than one group go round as well. It used to be so tedious watching Tiger walk 280 yards to his ball and then find out the lead had changed 4 times by the time he'd got there and we hadn't seen any of it.

I'll never understand the "one man is bigger than the game" attitude and I certainly don't miss the wasted time as he watched him line up a putt for 2 minutes either. If people only watch a major tournament for one man then they don't really get what golf is imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520