• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Was it luck, or was it skill?

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
So I came off of 15 with a bogey, one which had irked me some because it was a par-5, and I had been on the fairway about 60 yards from the stick in 2 shots. I didn't hit the lobby hard enough, left it short of the green, left my putt from off the green about 8 feet short, and saw the 8-footer for par lip out.

At 16, I hit a decent fade, if not completely solid, and would find my ball about 150 yards out. Now I had played on Memorial Day, with it over 90 degrees, and had nearly the same shot, and I had tried a 7-iron then, ending short in the left bunker.

Cooler today, so I chose the 6-iron. I got into my routine, practice swing, envision the flight of the ball, I'm envisioning a little cut to hold against the crosswind, landing front center of the green.

I like that practice swing, so I take my stance to the ball. Everything checks out, everything feels good. Wind continues to blow. Ball's a bit down in the fairway grass, hit it clean, take a divot, I think. Okay, go. I go into my backswing and just-at-the-top:

Clang as my stand bag which has a bit of a tendency to lean too much to the left tumbles over from the wind blowing on it. At the top of my backswing, I feel all of my body jerk.

But it's too late to stop. I'm pulling the trigger, I'm going after that ball. My body jerked, but my focus was getting to that ball.

And it was a beautiful shot. A tad to the left of where I had imagined it going, but cutting back, and getting some right back, eventually landing on the front left-center of the green.

Two putts and a par.

I don't know why, but I'm proud of that shot. It could have gone so bad, but I had the focus and enough of a swing to keep it together.

Way to be RBB !!! well focused, nothing can distract you, signs of a true golfer. Well done.

no luck there BTW. All skill.

It was pretty funny when it was all over, and the ball was up on the green. The guy I was playing with had been watching, and was amazed I had managed to hit the shot.

I said, "Maybe I should play all my shots with the bag falling over, eh?"

There was some luck to it, I think, but it never hurts to get a bit of good luck on the way to a 39 on the back.

Featured Reviews

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54