• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wedge advice

SCGolfer

Reaction score
The set of clubs I am currently messing with for next spring I bought 2i-9i and purchased a pw of a different set..same brand. I am not finished with my reshaft and such but have played two times with the set as is....I don't like the pw....and need some advice. Does anyone play a pw that doesn't match the set?? I am playing cleveland 588 gap and lob wedges but did not like the harsh feel when I got into the 46-48 degree area. Anyone have any suggestions on some wedges or should I just try and find a pw that matches the set?? Anyone play a blade wedge with cavity back irons??

Jason

When I played TM rac OS2's, I played a TM rac 48 with TM TP 52/56 (still use these) and it worked well for me.

Since then, I've played the PW that comes with the set.

How do you use your PW...mostly full swing or not? That could factor into what will work best for you.

PW to me is just like a 10 iron, not really used like a wedge. As such, I go with the one that matches the set. I don't think I'd want a non-wedge style PW from a different set, just because I wouldn't want my shortest iron to feel different from the rest of them.

First thought would be to try the CG 14's. They are almost a semi-cavity wedge. Personally, I've considered using like a 48* Vokey as my PW but there is no point. I hit my CB PW from my set very well, have no problem controlling trajectory and it's very forgiving. If anything, I'd like to go the other direction and find a CB-like SW.

My PW matches the iron set I currently use. Someone mentioned earlier that it depends on how you use the PW you are looking for, I agree with that, especially in your case. For me I use my PW from 125-100yds, with varried swings and for longer chips where the pin is at the back of a green or I run the ball up a slope. So I don't think I need an unmatched PW. My wedges are all CG11's which I like, but catch some flack for because wedges shouldn't have cavitybacks, but I hardly notice a difference.

I have gone both ways with this.....like I said before I have experimented with a Cleveland 588 in both 45 and 47 degrees. I have also used the pw with my set of TM 200's....I also used a sw that matched this set. I really like the 588 51* and 60* but was not fond of the 45* or 47* at all. I am working with a set of Cleveland TA2's that are 2i-9i.....I picked up a TA3 pw mainly because it was forged and I really haven't turned up any TA2's. I am just not fond of it.....it is kinda harsh....just not what I am looking for.

I will hit anything in the bag 100%. I hit pw in the past 115-125...but I am also kinda stepping back with lofts from TM to Cleveland so that is gonna send me more to a 47-48 and not a 45-46 degree wedge. Maybe the CG series is the way to go. Maybe I could pick up a CG1 or 2 pw from those sets and be happier.

Jason

Just in case you didn't know, here are the stock lofts on the TA2's Cleveland TA 2 Irons

So they are playing off stronger lofts (for a player CB). I'd say keep looking for the TA2 PW if you can't find a 46* you like. I was originally thinking about possible deloft of the set but they are too strong. FWIW a lot of tour pros were using the CG14 wedge as a PW this year.

Yea ez they are still stronger than the good ole days...but amazingly weaker than the TM's I was playing. They had a 45* pw....so in that case I went 41-45-51-56 or 60 sometimes both......I am thinking with the Clevelands I am gonna go 42-47-bending the 51 to 52-60. I am gonna look around for a TA2 before I pull that trigger on anything I think. I chip and pretty much take care of anything inside 100 yards with my 51...so I am on the fence about whether the pw can become another "wedge" or be a 10th club.

Jason

My 2 cents as follows. I rarely hit a pitching wedge with any less force than any other short iron unless I am playing a running chip from close to the green. Given enough room, I will chip with an 8 iron because the tempo of a putt at the same distance will end up the same as an 8 iron bumped over the fringe. So, basically, your wedge is a shorter 9 iron. My PW is 47 deg and I hit it 130 with a smooth 80% swing. I use Cleveland CG 12s and my 52 deg goes 115. My 56 deg goes 100 and my 60 deg goes 85. I'm deadly from inside 145 which is my 9 iron. 4 wedges is the way to go with 15 yds separation between them. Choking down an inch on any club gives me the right club between yardages. My advise to you is to contact the manufacturer and get a wedge that matches your set. Having a doubt whenever you hit anything else will only lead to frustration. If you don't play from the tips, get rid of the 4 iron and get a 4th wedge.

welcome to ST 88,

I agree with looking for the matched PW. I even went as far as having my gap wedge match my set, because I'm often using it for full swings. The only real wedge looking wedge I have is my 58* - it all depends on how you use it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520