• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Well, Its down to 2.

Chris

Reaction score
I'm kind of getting back into the whole golf scene, and getting much more competitive. Its time to get new irons. I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 selections, and I keep going back and forth as to which is a better buy. I hit both 7 irons about 160, and they both felt great. I'm mostly concerned with which club is more forgiving, "helpful", and will hold its value for years to come.

My 2 choices:

Ping Eye 2 (black dot):

Awesome name, and awesome club. Very light and easy to swing, the clubface is very forgiving.

OR;

Taylormade r5 xL:

You KNOW that you're holding a club when you've got this club, the oversized head is forgiving, and you get feedback when you hit the ball no doubt.

Which would you recommend?

Ping S59's or S58's. Sorry, but they're amazing. And of your two choices the Eye2's are one of the best irons ever made. :)

Ping S59's or S58's. Sorry, but they're amazing. And of your two choices the Eye2's are one of the best irons ever made. :)

Ah thanks..

Im planning on making my final decision by this saturday, anyone else have any advice?

You aren't going to get an unbiased answer whenever PING is entered into the equation.

People either love them (warbirdlover) or hate them (me). There is no middle ground.

Hit as many different makes as you can and then buy the one you like the best.......even if it's PING. :faintthud

I don't really even like Ping, but of the two, there is no question. The Eye2 is one of the greatest irons ever made. As for resale, Ping vs. TaylorMade? Again, no question. Eye2's hold there value almost better than any iron out there.

I don't really even like Ping, but of the two, there is no question. The Eye2 is one of the greatest irons ever made. As for resale, Ping vs. TaylorMade? Again, no question. Eye2's hold there value almost better than any iron out there.

Could not agree more here, between the 2 irons you posted about its really no choice at all in my eye. The Ping Eye 2's are classics that are still great clubs today. The TM clubs, I forgot they released an iron in the R5 line-just my .02

Personally, Pings, no doubt. As you get better you'll quickly outgrow the R5's. They were a fairly low production SGI iron, if I'm not mistaken made exclusively for Dick's Sports. IMO, a Taylormade name slapped on a mass production piece of crap.

As you get better you'll start hitting the ball higher, you won't be able to control the ballflight with the R5's. The Pings will be much more controllable as to trajectory. I feel the Pings should last you a long time while if you play/practice a lot you'll be sick of the R5's by the end of the year.... and they won't be worth much at all.

Personally, Pings, no doubt. As you get better you'll quickly outgrow the R5's. They were a fairly low production SGI iron, if I'm not mistaken made exclusively for Dick's Sports. IMO, a Taylormade name slapped on a mass production piece of crap.

As you get better you'll start hitting the ball higher, you won't be able to control the ballflight with the R5's. The Pings will be much more controllable as to trajectory. I feel the Pings should last you a long time while if you play/practice a lot you'll be sick of the R5's by the end of the year.... and they won't be worth much at all.

^
What he said! :) Seriously, all PING bias aside, Ez speaks the truth.

I'm actually more curious as to how those two choices came about; care to explain?

^
What he said! :) Seriously, all PING bias aside, Ez speaks the truth.

I'm actually more curious as to how those two choices came about; care to explain?

Well I'm looking for a fairly good "starter" set that will last awhile. I had my mind set on the r5's, and I saw the ping eye 2's for about the same price (a little cheaper), so I tried em out and really liked them. They were the only other set that was even worth trying out that was around $200. The r5's are not bad, but I definitely felt a difference.

If anyone else has any suggestions for a set around or under $200 i'm all ears, and again thank EVERYONE so much for your input i really appreciate it.

Well I'm looking for a fairly good "starter" set that will last awhile. I had my mind set on the r5's, and I saw the ping eye 2's for about the same price (a little cheaper), so I tried em out and really liked them. They were the only other set that was even worth trying out that was around $200. The r5's are not bad, but I definitely felt a difference.

If anyone else has any suggestions for a set around or under $200 i'm all ears, and again thank EVERYONE so much for your input i really appreciate it.

Have you checked globalgolf.com yet?

Iron Set Golf Club Equipment at GlobalGolf.com

Pages 7-9 have some pretty decent stuff at/around 2 bills...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423

eclark53520