• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Went to Play at Golf Galaxy today

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took a 35 mile drive up to Brookfield where Bames, his friend and myself went a week or two ago. Looked at almost everything. The one thing that stood out was how much better the new Titty drivers are then the "Buck Rogers" versions they had out last year. And a Diamana Blue? Wow. Not in the market but they'll sell those for sure. Hated all the new Cally stuff. Might work okay but visually not pretty in my eyes. The Cobra stuff ain't too bad. TaylorMade hasn't come out with anything in (for them) a very long time so nothing there to see. Ping doesn't have to come out with anything... there stuff is solid. Adams seems to be "catching on" as to what people are looking for. Anyway, bought a couple weathersoft gloves, spikes and a SC grip for the Circa 62 #3 that's on it's way from R35. Damn, I'm excited about that. :killersmiley:

Took a 35 mile drive up to Brookfield where Bames, his friend and myself went a week or two ago.

That one seems to be quite a bit smaller than a lot of the GG's. Is the one in Greenfield on Layton across from Hooters still open? A lot bigger than the Brookfield store & closer to your home too.

The one on Layton is much smaller then the Brookfield one. The Brookfield one is about the biggest in the Milwaukee area. And there's also the B & G Sports accross the road.....

The one on Layton is much smaller then the Brookfield one. The Brookfield one is about the biggest in the Milwaukee area. And there's also the B & G Sports accross the road.....

Hmm, maybe I got the 2 confused? And what's B & G? Haven't heard of that.

I agree on the titty stuff.

I find myself everytime I'm in a golf store, looking at the forged blades they have. I could easily switch to a titleist bag overnight I'm so fickle. Although pretty, the 909's sucked when I hit them. The fairways woods were nice though.

I went to GG tonight, too. It was very interesting, I met a real nice salesguy on his first day on the job. Apparently he just retired effective today. I was looking at shafts when he first came by with the only other customer in the store. They were talking about how many choices there are, and how hard it is to pick, and I joked that I just look for the ones made in the US, and that cuts _way_ down on the choices.

That got us talking about True Tempers and Rifles. I mentioned that I play the latter, and he was interested; asking me how they feel, and if they're too heavy. He plays 55g graphites, since he is, in his words 30-40 years older than me. This was kind of confusing though, because HE works in the golf store, and was asking me about how shafts feel. I said something along the lines of 'There must be five sets of used irons over there with Rifles, why don't you grab one and try it?' It was like a light bulb went on, and I think he realized that he can do whatever he wants, 'cause he works there!
So we went over and found a couple sets with Rifles, even some 5s that he thinks will suit him.

At some point, I mentioned that I've gotten into clubmaking, and then I became his expert ( and I barely know anything! ). He had a little pamplet with basic club information on it, but he either hadn't had time to read it, or didn't remember it, because he was asking me all sorts of questions. He came practically running up to me wanting to know what "350" on a shaft meant, and then dragged me over the Ping fitting station so he could show me one. I wound up explaining tip diameters and a bunch of other stuff to him over the next hour. I hit a few balls with a Sonartec they had and then encouraged him to try it, too. It was totally bassackwords.

The most surprising part didn't occur to me until I was driving home... Golf Galaxy is _hiring_? Now?

I went to GG tonight, too. It was very interesting, I met a real nice salesguy on his first day on the job. Apparently he just retired effective today. I was looking at shafts when he first came by with the only other customer in the store. They were talking about how many choices there are, and how hard it is to pick, and I joked that I just look for the ones made in the US, and that cuts _way_ down on the choices.

That got us talking about True Tempers and Rifles. I mentioned that I play the latter, and he was interested; asking me how they feel, and if they're too heavy. He plays 55g graphites, since he is, in his words 30-40 years older than me. This was kind of confusing though, because HE works in the golf store, and was asking me about how shafts feel. I said something along the lines of 'There must be five sets of used irons over there with Rifles, why don't you grab one and try it?' It was like a light bulb went on, and I think he realized that he can do whatever he wants, 'cause he works there!
So we went over and found a couple sets with Rifles, even some 5s that he thinks will suit him.

At some point, I mentioned that I've gotten into clubmaking, and then I became his expert ( and I barely know anything! ). He had a little pamplet with basic club information on it, but he either hadn't had time to read it, or didn't remember it, because he was asking me all sorts of questions. He came practically running up to me wanting to know what "350" on a shaft meant, and then dragged me over the Ping fitting station so he could show me one. I wound up explaining tip diameters and a bunch of other stuff to him over the next hour. I hit a few balls with a Sonartec they had and then encouraged him to try it, too. It was totally bassackwords.

The most surprising part didn't occur to me until I was driving home... Golf Galaxy is _hiring_? Now?

That's kind of frightening. I guess they are pretty desperate.

If you know what a .350 is, you'll nail the interview! :biglol:

R35

I wouldn't doubt that most of us on here know more than your average golf shop salesman. When Iwent to the local Golf Etc. store, I was extremely impressed how much the salesman knew. He was the shop's clubmaker, and he knew his stuff. We shot the crap for two hours while I hit balls on the sim and had my lofts adjusted. He ended up discounting everything, I think its because he finally had someone to talk to about equipment. He was pulling stuff out of his personal bag for me to hit.

The Diamana in the stock 909s are a POS!

I wouldnt mind picking one up but i pound my D1.

And what's B & G? Haven't heard of that.

Wi-Golfer

Bowling and Golf Sports. It's on the south side of Bluemound RIGHT accross from GG in the small mall on the north side. They have nice hitting bays and carry most everything GG does. The salesmen actually know a little about golf too. http://www.bggolf.com/

David Hillman

I've found Dick's salesmen are that same way and I had one of their salesmen grill me exactly like you did. At least they're trying to learn and if they need an income after retiring I'll "put up" with their lack of knowledge. :)

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I wouldn't doubt that most of us on here know more than your average golf shop salesman.

You might be surprised to find out just how little a lot of salespersons actually know about the products they sell. I am very much into motorcycles & have been for 30 years, when I go into a shop to either look around or puchase a bike it still surprises me how much the salespeople don't know.

Well, the world needs ditch diggers too!! (Love that comment from Caddy Shack) :D Actually, paying minimum wage isn't going to get you alot of rocket scientists... :)

We also have to keep in mind that while most salespeople in these stores know very little about golf, I would be willing to bet that they don't LOVE it like we do. It's pretty easy to learn something and make an effort to learn about something when you love it, but when it's just a job-most won't learn a bit unless they are "on the clock."

Hmm, maybe I got the 2 confused? And what's B & G? Haven't heard of that.

I've only been there once with WBL, but they had really competitive pricing on most things that I checked out. Having the two shops across the street from each other makes the trip worth it. Plus you can walk over and grab a great sandwich at a shop east of GG (right WBL ;0 )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520