• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What a difference a shaft makes

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Reaction score
I've had my Cobra SS380 with a regular stock Aldila shaft in for a few years and will never part with it because it has brought a new lease of life into my drives. However in the last 12 months I have started hitting everything with a slight push followed by a fade and I put this down to the slight increase in my swing speed. I have just now bought a Srixon W-403 with a stiff stock shaft and find that everything is now being slightly pulled with a slight draw.

This isn't a major problem for me as I only carry two wedges and a 3 wood besides my irons so I can do a "Mickelson". My gripe is that there doesn't seem to be an obvious and reasonably priced shaft that I can find for those of us in the middle ground with about 95 mph swings. I used to hit the ball very straight with the option of drawing/fading by changing my set up but that is no longer the case. I can't slow down because it's just too much fun smashing long drives even if they do go a bit wayward, but equally I don't think I can physically speed up any more.

the W-403 is a great stick, but i think the setup with the stock shaft favors the left hand side, as the shaft's a little whippy and pretty light, too. Reshaft it and you'll probably have a beast. There are a few shafts that play stiffer or softer than rated, so you can probably find something like a regular flex Graf Blue or Accuflex Evo that's stiff enough, or a stiff flex in maybe a GD YS-6(make sure it's untipped, tipped properly they play to flex)

gd ys-6. great for a lowish end stiff (95-105/110), im at 100 and its great.

the W-403 is a great stick, but i think the setup with the stock shaft favors the left hand side, as the shaft's a little whippy and pretty light, too. Reshaft it and you'll probably have a beast.

Considering it was £199 three weeks ago and I got it for £59 because the new version is due out soon, I don't think it would be worth spending any money on (I believe re-shafting is rather pricey). The stiff shaft that is in it is plenty stiff enough for my lethargic swing, it's probably too stiff actually but for that price I'm not going to be picky

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520